Removing an x86 program that won't uninstall from x64 Win 7?

bizzybody

I used PC Mover to copy some programs from 32 bit XP to 64 bit Windows 7. I ended up getting Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime with the other software.

It wasn't tagged as incompatible or unsafe on the target system and is in Programs and Features as Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x86)

It won't uninstall, I get This edition of the product is not designed to run on x64 platform. And continuing ends up with "installation failed" and nothing removed.

Can I dig this thing out by hand or will I be stuck with doing a clean install and having to install everything else that I used PC Mover to save a lot of time by not having to install?

Offhand I'd say you shouldn't have transferred it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/xp/transfer-your-data.aspx

*Will run only if source PC is Windows XP and destination PC is Windows 7, 8, or 8.1. The free data transfer will not migrate your apps.

:unsure: Note that I've not used it so I can't confirm that.You've specifically stated

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x86)

You might try "forcing" a Reinstall somehow? "Chances are" it may have transferred it to the wrong folder as well. Maybe inspecting the Install Package would reveal which files get installed ("dig this thing out by hand"). Please determine which one you may have installed so more exacting information can be provided.

Seems to be the latest package here -

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42513&751be11f-ede8-5a0c-058c-2ee190a24fa6=True&e6b34bbe-475b-1abd-2c51-b5034bcdd6d2=True

Note: links given inside above ("previous versions") currently don't work. We can try the Web Archive if need be.

BTW, was that the "PC Mover" (free) or did you get the "purchased" version directly from Laplink?

Edited by submix8c