ME will only boot into safe mode

Skywatcher

Hi all,

So I am trying to install ME on a 2004 (I think) desktop and everything goes swimmingly until the last stage of setup, where the system would normally reboot and configure the start menu, control panel, etc. Here it just freezes ("Completed updating files, continuing to load Windows... *blink blink blink*")

I have discovered through trial and error that I am able to start into safe mode successfully. When I do this, if I remove ACPI BIOS from the device manager, the system will boot up normally and get to the desktop. However, when I do this, it does not detect ANY of my peripherals (USB, CD drive, graphics card, etc.) and does not even display anything as an unknown device. (I also tried manually installing Plug and Play failsafe BIOS with the same result.)

I don't pretend to know much about ACPI but from my research here and elsewhere I see a lot of people recommending disabling it. I don't really care either way as long as I get a working system where I can use my hardware devices. (So far I have tried disabling it in the registry, BIOS and by using the "/p I" setup switch but none give a clean boot.)

So my question is, I guess, if anyone can shed any light on this, or suggest what I can try in order to get the system working normally?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Edited by Skywatcher

Hi all,

So I am trying to install ME on a 2004 (I think) desktop and everything goes swimmingly until the last stage of setup, where the system would normally reboot and configure the start menu, control panel, etc. Here it just freezes ("Completed updating files, continuing to load Windows... *blink blink blink*")

I have discovered through trial and error that I am able to start into safe mode successfully. When I do this, if I remove ACPI BIOS from the device manager, the system will boot up normally and get to the desktop. However, when I do this, it does not detect ANY of my peripherals (USB, CD drive, graphics card, etc.) and does not even display anything as an unknown device. (I also tried manually installing Plug and Play failsafe BIOS with the same result.)

I don't pretend to know much about ACPI but from my research here and elsewhere I see a lot of people recommending disabling it. I don't really care either way as long as I get a working system where I can use my hardware devices. (So far I have tried disabling it in the registry, BIOS and by using the "/p I" setup switch but none give a clean boot.)

So my question is, I guess, if anyone can shed any light on this, or suggest what I can try in order to get the system working normally?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Do disable ACPI. Curious though do you have sata or pata harddrive. This topic might help you with acpi (at least the quote of the post I'm referring you) http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171303-can-an-acer-aspire-one-aoa150-run-windows-me/?p=1074828

Flasche, on 14 May 2014 - 02:28 AM, said:

Do disable ACPI. Curious though do you have sata or pata harddrive. This topic might help you with acpi (at least the quote of the post I'm referring you) http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171303-can-an-acer-aspire-one-aoa150-run-windows-me/?p=1074828

Ah, thanks for the link - missed that one! It seems I managed to get ACPI disabled. It is a SATA hard drive. I can't remember if this is from that same thread or another I ended up reading, but the hanging on normal boot is being caused by esdi_506.pdr. I downloaded the patched version and replaced it but it still hangs. I am guessing that I am going to need the patched sata.inf from Rloew - is that correct? Do I have any alternatives?

Based on the very meager info you've provided about your setup, yes: you need RLoew's SATA patch (it's not just an .inf, anymore).

But since you won't tell unless asked, then, please, do tell us: which board, processor and how much RAM (besides HDD(s) size(s)) does your machine have?

dencorso, on 14 May 2014 - 10:07 AM, said:

Based on the very meager info you've provided about your setup, yes: you need RLoew's SATA patch (it's not just an .inf, anymore).

But since you won't tell unless asked, then, please, do tell us: which board, processor and how much RAM (besides HDD(s) size(s)) does your machine have?

It's an ASUS A8N-VM with 1GB of RAM (at least, for now).

oerg866, on 14 May 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

If you can, disable all IDE ports, that will usually get it going (albeit losing all IDE functionality)

Thanks - this has indeed worked, albeit as a temporary solution! I can now boot normally and start installing drivers. :)

So just as an update in case anyone else has this problem: I fixed it by buying a SATA to IDE adaptor (about £5 on eBay I think). I reinstalled Windows with the adaptor installed (guess I didn't need to but I wanted to start afresh :P) and everything ran/is running smoothly. Now just the small problem of LAN and audio drivers... -_- Anyone know if there are any audio drivers for a SoundMax integrated card? I can't even remember what LAN card it is right now.

I fixed it by buying a SATA to IDE adaptor (about £5 on eBay I think).

Well, RLoew's SATA patch costs US$11 (which is about £6.50), and arrives by e-mail right after you pay. All the wait and effort involved saved you about £1.50. Is it worth it?

dencorso, on 17 May 2014 - 02:49 AM, said:

Skywatcher, on 17 May 2014 - 01:54 AM, said:

Well, RLoew's SATA patch costs US$11 (which is about £6.50), and arrives by e-mail right after you pay. All the wait and effort involved saved you about £1.50. Is it worth it?

Not much in it, really. I guess at least with the adaptor I am less likely to lose it. :rolleyes:

dencorso, on 17 May 2014 - 02:49 AM, said:

Skywatcher, on 17 May 2014 - 01:54 AM, said:

Not much in it, really. I guess at least with the adaptor I am less likely to lose it. :rolleyes:

Not likely.

I don't charge for replacement copies.

You also have to pay by the Drive if you use those adapters.

True enough. One patch caters for as many SATA disks as there are ports to connect them to the motherboard, whereas, if adapters are used instead, each disk needs its own adapter.

True enough. One patch caters for as many SATA disks as there are ports to connect them to the motherboard, whereas, if adapters are used instead, each disk needs its own adapter.

Also if your using a notebook like mine they don't make adapters.

Sure they do. Look at this.

Thats is very neat indeed, but I still don't think they would make an adapter for my net-book anyway, I mean the only way to enter inside of it is to pop out the keyboard then remove the mouse pad, then remove a metal protective sheet, and so forth http://www.dalekeller.net/Other/Computers/AspireOne/Disassembly.pdf

True enough. Then again, the Acer Aspire One AOA150 already uses a SATA/300 HDD, so no adapter is needed for it to connect to SATA HDDs... AFAIK, BTW, the Acer Aspire One AOA150 has only SATA ports onboard, so that no IDE to SATA adapter can possibly be used on it, and that's the only type of adapter that would obviate the use of RLoew's patch. The reverse adapter, the one that connects a IDE HDD to a SATA port onboard is useless for that, because it makes an IDE HDD effectively SATA (and it's even more rare as an adapter, nowadays).