POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Interested to be offered an update to Silverlight by Microsoft Update today.

I don't know if that's because I'm also getting the Windows XP Embedded updates, I had assumed that no further updates would be offered for any MS programs on XP now.

:)

Interested to be offered an update to Silverlight by Microsoft Update today.

I don't know if that's because I'm also getting the Windows XP Embedded updates, I had assumed that no further updates would be offered for any MS programs on XP now.

I noticed the same update on Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. It must be important, seeing as though we're in-between patch Tuesdays.

Mid-cycle updates (fourth Tuesday of the month) for IE8's Compatibility View list were common for a couple years until IE9 was released.

• 1 month later...

MS released KB2993651 (MS14-045) on Aug 27, 2014 (so totally out-of-band). It should be a full fix to a previous botched update (KB2919355) but, at least  The 7+ versions came out already also botched.  At WU/MU there actually is a KB2993651 for WEPOS and POSReady 2009, which is also available from the MS Upd Catalog, as usual. Care is recommended. Better prevent it from installing right away, at least until we're sure it actually is safe or a further hotfix replaces it. Just my 2¢, of course. Interestingly enough, AFAIK, KB2919355 wasn't ever released for WEPOS and POSReady 2009... or, at least, it sure wasn't offered at WU/MU.

BUG REPORT: KB2926765 update prevents Internet and E-mail client selection from the Start menu.

After applying the specific update to a POSReady 2009 system, Start menu will always show the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet Internet Client even if HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet is not empty.

The same bug is observed with the E-mail client.

As a result, the end-user cannot change the Start menu Internet and E-mail icons from the Start Menu.

Edited by harkaz

• 3 weeks later...

MS released KB2993651 (MS14-045) on Aug 27, 2014 (so totally out-of-band). It should be a full fix to a previous botched update (KB2919355) but, at least  The 7+ versions came out already also botched.  At WU/MU there actually is a KB2993651 for WEPOS and POSReady 2009, which is also available from the MS Upd Catalog, as usual. Care is recommended. Better prevent it from installing right away, at least until we're sure it actually is safe or a further hotfix replaces it. Just my 2¢, of course. Interestingly enough, AFAIK, KB2919355 wasn't ever released for WEPOS and POSReady 2009... or, at least, it sure wasn't offered at WU/MU.

KB2919355 is an update only for Windows 8.1 & Windows Server 2012 R2 and does not apply to any other version of Windows.

The KB2993651 patches are good (at least the Vista/Win7/Win8.1 versions as those haven't messed up my Windows computers) and replaces the faulty KB2982791 patches which have caused BSODs at startup on some machines.

Edited by erpdude8

What about KB2993651's "Known Issue 2" ?

After you install this update, the z-order of the windows is changed. (The z-order calls the SetWindowPos function together with the HWND_TOP parameter.) Therefore, the windows of certain applications may become invisible or may be incorrectly displayed behind other windows.

Does it also happen on Win Server 2k3 / WEPOS / POSReady 2k9 / XP ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I have a quick n00b question: why the KB2962872 (IE6) update for POSReady 2009 was withdrawn? It seems the culprit is browsewm.dll v.6.00.2900.6576 (xpsp_sp3_qfe.140526-1536) but what's wrong with it? Please help I really want to know the answer. Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

When I go to Microsoft Update I get a message "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view.  [ Error number: 0x80248015 ]".

0x80248015 seems to mean: "SUS E DS SERVICE EXPIRED" (the caller has requested a service whose registration has expired)... but this is about as informative as an I-Ching hexagram... If it doesn't go away by itself, something is amiss.

This notwithstanding, the out-of-band MS14-068 patch KB3011780 is available from the Microsoft Update Catalog and it has not the bothersome IsWinEmbedded condition in the .inf, so it'll install as downloaded. :yes:

• 1 month later...

Excellent thread - finally an intelligent discussion of the POS XP hack.

Well, I'm still a noob, barely understand the above, and I'll re-read this later, but I have an immediate question for very smart people here:

The POS 2009 WU and MU updates from yesterday's patch Tuesday (Jan 13, 2015) - are they OK as updates on my old XP Pro SP3 (32-bit) with IE 8?  So far, through patch Tuesday in Dec 2014, the simple registry hack updates have been OK on my XP machine, but is anyone having problems with yesterday's (Jan 2015)?

Many thanks.

(PS - My XP SP3 machine is a Dell Optiplex 755 with 4GB RAM.  My personal email is still there on Outlook Express 6 until I can manage to move it to my new mostly unusued dual boot Win Pro 64-bit and Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit machine Dell optiplex 7010 MT with 8GB RAM.  So the registry hack to keep XP updated is important to me.)

Edited by glnz

I installed them all today on two completely different machines, both 32 bit with IE8, and no problems so far (touch wood!)

Why would you think that this month's updates would be any more problematic than any previous ones using the hack?

Dave-H - thanks for your fast reply.

No reason to think these are more problematic than before.  But I'm a noob out of my depth here and would rather be safe than sorry.

If your XP machine melts down next few hours, or if it rings like a cash register and your CD drawer opens to give change, please let us know.

Ha - thanks.

Edited by glnz

To all:

Because I'm a noob, I have attached (in a Word .doc) a list of all my Microsoft Updates AFTER the April 8, 2014 Patch Tuesday.  Am I missing anything?

My machine is Win XP Pro SP3 on a Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop with 4GB RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo E6850  @ 3.00GHz.   FYI - The only thing I did to get the POS-hack updates was to add this registry entry:
   [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
   "Installed"=dword:00000001

Thanks.

Updates to my XP Pro SP3 machine AFTER April 8 2014 through Jan 17 2015.doc

Edited by glnz