POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

44 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

Well, I keep getting stuck in the dreaded "svchost.exe at 99% CPU."

If You have Office 2007 compatibility pack (with SP3) installed in Your system then try manually installing latest updates for it (three updates from bottom on my list) then reboot Your system and try again. :)

P.S. If You have complete Office 2007 suites installed instead then one additional update is needed

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/A/0/6A0A1E25-002A-4249-95DF-E290CA136690/word2007-kb3191836-fullfile-x86-glb.exe
Edited by Bersaglio

I'm lucky - all 13 installed very smoothly and all show up on Belarc Advisor.  Some notes:

1)  I installed kb4020535 manually, thanks to Bersaglio, as it did not appear in Microsoft Update by itself.  Belarc Advisor shows it as installed, but it does not appear in Review Update History in Microsoft Update.  Is that wrong?

2)  Belarc Advisor's long list of Installed Hotfixes says I should re-install these old ones - and there are more now than before.  Why so?  Is it because later updates are UNinstalling these?  Here's the list (and the dates are when these were installed the first time):

KB952287 on 8/21/2008 (details...) Reinstall!
        KB970483 on 12/8/2012 (details...) Reinstall!
        KB976323 on 12/8/2012 (details...) Reinstall!
        KB2124261 on 12/8/2012 (details...) Reinstall!
        KB2290570 on 12/8/2012 (details...) Reinstall!

Thanks, all!

I've installed IE8-WindowsXP-KB976749-x86-ENU but still get msg. Your browser is out-of-date.

I presume IE8 is the only version I can use on XP?

So what can I do?

Edited by Roffen

On 9.5.2017 at 11:26 AM, heinoganda said:

@Roffen

Currently, it seems that the redirection was consciously changed by MS for WU/MU under IE. Whether this changes again is in the stars!
As an alternative, I can offer you the following web links for IE:

for Windows Update	http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate
for Microsoft Update	http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate

This has already been pointed out in previous comments. KB976749 is an ancient patch for IE8 which has no relevance any more!

:)

Edited by heinoganda

Hi, in my test virtual machine with Windows XP and just .NET Framework 4, I didn't apply any updates on april.

Checking now for updates I get for NET4 KB4014605 and KB4014570. I installed them and recheck for updates and found no more updates.

¿What happened with KB4020510???

18 hours ago, Bersaglio said:

If You have Office 2007 compatibility pack (with SP3) installed in Your system then try manually installing latest updates for it (three updates from bottom on my list) then reboot Your system and try again. :)

P.S. If You have complete Office 2007 suites installed instead then one additional update is needed

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/A/0/6A0A1E25-002A-4249-95DF-E290CA136690/word2007-kb3191836-fullfile-x86-glb.exe

Thanks! That worked. As it happens, I don't have Word 2007 installed so I didn't need that last one.

It's a bit annoying to have to install several updates manually, or else let it run overnight, each time new updates appear, but eventually everything does seem to finally work.

I haven't gotten any updates since March 30. I checked my muweb.dll, and it was version 7.6.7600.257, so I downgraded it to 7.6.7600.256 (suggested on this page) and rebooted, but I'm still not seeing anything. MGADiag.exe says the activation/WGA status is all good as well. I tried installing Microsoft Update, but this only offered Live Essentials and some other bloatware in the "optional" category. SP3 and IE8 are both installed.

I'm not getting any errors, and I don't have any updates hidden; it's just not offering up any updates for me. Says the system is up to date.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

19 hours ago, darkengine said:

I haven't gotten any updates since March 30. I checked my muweb.dll, and it was version 7.6.7600.257, so I downgraded it to 7.6.7600.256 (suggested on this page) and rebooted, but I'm still not seeing anything. MGADiag.exe says the activation/WGA status is all good as well. I tried installing Microsoft Update, but this only offered Live Essentials and some other bloatware in the "optional" category. SP3 and IE8 are both installed.

I'm not getting any errors, and I don't have any updates hidden; it's just not offering up any updates for me. Says the system is up to date.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

When I went to microsoft update using IE8, I could not get to the update page.   I tried the workaround provided by Bersaglio, but that failed as well......I would suggest you refer to the direct download links kindly provided by Bersaglio a few days ago and manually download and install the updates.   At least you will have the updates and then you can continue seeking a solution to your automatic update problem such as I have.....

2 hours ago, Dclem said:

When I went to microsoft update using IE8, I could not get to the update page.

That is not the same problem I'm having. I can reach the Windows Update page in IE8 with the direct link, and I can scan for available updates, but it says my system is up to date, which I know not to be true.

I guess I'll have to install them all manually...

Edited by darkengine

Well I finally managed to update both of my XP installations.

My main machine scanned on Microsoft Update for several hours, but then eventually did all the updates correctly.
The yellow shield did show in the system tray when the updates appeared, but it hadn't until then.

The first attempt on my netbook scanned for 16 hours before finally showing the list.
The yellow shield never appeared.
When I went to install the updates, it went to "preparing for download", but never apparently went any further, even after being left for an hour.
I tried to cancel it, and it said it was cancelling, but then just apparently hung on that, so I eventually just rebooted.

On the second attempt it was 25 hours before the list appeared! :o
The yellow shield did appear this time, about a third of the way through.
When I went to install again, it said the updates were already downloaded, so it looks as if they did download the first time, it just didn't show it.

They all installed fine, eventually, although the .NET 4.0 and .NET 2.0 updates each took a very long time, as .NET updates always seem to

As there doesn't seem to be any evidence that automatic updates are installing any more quickly that those scanned for on the update site, how genuine in-use WEPOS machines are managing to update themselves heaven only knows! I guess most must be on 24/7 so it doesn't matter if it takes literally days to do in the background!

Microsoft must surely be aware of this, legitimate WEPOS users trying to manually update machines must surely have reported it.
They don't seem to be exactly rushing to do anything about it though, even though the system is supported for another two years!
:)

3 hours ago, Dclem said:

When I went to microsoft update using IE8, I could not get to the update page.

Try opening Control Panel - Internet Options - Advanced tab and make sure "TLS 1.0" is ticked (if not, check the box to the left of "TLS 1.0" and press OK). By the way, it is also reasonable to untick "SSL 2.0" and "SSL 3.0" during this operation because supporting obsolete SSL 2.0 and/or SSL 3.0 technologies is extremely unsafe for Your sensitive data nowadays.

5 hours ago, Bersaglio said:

Try opening Control Panel - Internet Options - Advanced tab and make sure "TLS 1.0" is ticked (if not, check the box to the left of "TLS 1.0" and press OK). By the way, it is also reasonable to untick "SSL 2.0" and "SSL 3.0" during this operation because supporting obsolete SSL 2.0 and/or SSL 3.0 technologies is extremely unsafe for Your sensitive data nowadays.

Thank you Sir........that did the trick