WindowsXP-KB4015380-x86-ENU.exe                 04/08/2017
WindowsXP-KB4015383-x86-ENU.exe                 04/08/2017
WindowsXP-KB4017018-x86-ENU.exe                 04/08/2017

Current Update for .NET Framework 3.5 sp1:

NDP20SP2-KB4014580-x86.exe                           04/10/2017

Current Update for .NET Framework 4:

NDP40-KB4014570-x86.exe                                04/10/2017

:)

KB40414580 was actually a security update and rollup update for Net framework 2 SP2 and not 3.5 SP1 to avoid confusion.

Just to report all 13 updates installed OK on both my machines.

Strangely my main machine never showed a yellow shield in the system tray, whereas my netbook did.

It took about 20 minutes to scan with Microsoft Update on my main machine, on the netbook it took a couple of hours! I guess that's because it's a pretty weak machine.

The .NET updates took ages to install, but they always seem to.

2 hours ago, Dclem said:

KB40414580 was actually a security update and rollup update for Net framework 2 SP2 and not 3.5 SP1 to avoid confusion.

This gives no confusion, .NET Framework 2 sp2 is part of the .NET Framework 3.5 sp1 package.

Indeed so, but KB40414580 is an update specifically for .NET 2.0 SP2, as can be seen from its standalone file name.

One strange anomaly was that on my netbook, but not on my main machine, after I successfully installed all the updates, I was then prompted to install a further five .NET 2.0 updates, which presumably weren't installed before.
They took ages to install, and I was dreading that there would then be another prompt to install KB40414580, and then the five updates again, and so on round and round for ever, but fortunately that doesn't seem to have been the case. Whew!

Hey guys, I'm still struggling with this round of updates.  Most are failing to install no matter how many tricks I try to get them to go.  I'd like to reinstall Windows Update.  Can anyone point to to a good download of the latest Windows Update I can use?  

Edited by SD73

9 hours ago, SD73 said:

I'm still struggling with this round of updates.

SD73, looks like You're facing problems with Your antivirus software. Try disabling it (or even better uninstall it completely) then make sure You still have POSReady tweak in Your system. And finally try installing updates manually from my list. Do not restart until You install all the updates. After last update, restart Your system and try Windows Update again

Edited by Bersaglio
add quotation

Thank you for your suggestions, Bersaglio.  I have tried disabling my antivirus, and I did try loading the patches directly from the downloads and that did not work either.  When I tried double clicking the downloaded files I got the below message shortly after it began expanding the file.   

"The System Cannot Find the File Specified" 

I've found version 6.2.0029.0 of Updater.  Does anyone know if that will work with our XP systems?

4 hours ago, SD73 said:

"The System Cannot Find the File Specified"

File associations are corrupted in Your system (exe file in this particular case). It seems that Your system was infected by some virus. You should restore these associations (probably You need ERD Commander CD/erdregedit or other similar tools because regedit won't work on Your system for the same reason). And Windows Update has nothing to do with this problem...

17 minutes ago, Bersaglio said:

File associations are corrupted in Your system (exe file in this particular case). It seems that Your system was infected by some virus. You should restore these associations (probably You need ERD Commander CD/erdregedit or other similar tools because regedit won't work on Your system for the same reason). And Windows Update has nothing to do with this problem...

That had occurred to me too.  However I did run SuperAntiSpyWare, Malwarebytes, and MalwareBytes Root Kit.  All came up perfectly clean.  All other EXE's run fine with no problems either.  I just ran SFC.EXE /Scannow to see if I had any other sort of corruption and also Disk Clean Up.  This is a real head scratchier for me.

If there is no virus infection, it can not hurt to try the following.
Open Notepad and paste the following code

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
regsvr32 Mssip32.dll
regsvr32 atl.dll
regsvr32 Softpub.dll
regsvr32 Wintrust.dll
regsvr32 Initpki.dll

Then save it as a batch file (for example, rep.bat) and run it. Restart the computer and try a manually downloaded update.

9 minutes ago, heinoganda said:

If there is no virus infection, it can not hurt to try the following.
Open Notepad and paste the following code

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
regsvr32 Mssip32.dll
regsvr32 atl.dll
regsvr32 Softpub.dll
regsvr32 Wintrust.dll
regsvr32 Initpki.dll

Then save it as a batch file (for example, rep.bat) and run it. Restart the computer and try a manually downloaded update.

Thanks!   I will give this a try right now, then I'm considering a System Restore to a couple of months ago.

22 minutes ago, heinoganda said:

Then check whether the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce" is present in the registry. If this does not help, then my knowledge is unfortunately exhausted.

Thanks for the tips anyway!  I'm getting desperate.  LOL.  The registering did not help.  I do have the RunOnce in my registry, but there are no Values.  Should it just be blank?

I'm getting ready to press my luck and fire off that System Restore.