POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

21 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

So, can I now fix my main machine without uninstalling and reinstalling all the .NET options?

Well, it looks like the update that won't go away on your system (KB2756918) is specific to .Net 3.0 SP2. So you shouldn't need to uninstall and reinstall any .Net version other than that one.

I only had to uninstall and reinstall .Net 4, but that was complicated by the fact that .Net 4 is split into two parts (Client Profile and Extended). I don't think that's true of .Net 3.0 or any other .Net version.

6 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Well, it looks like the update that won't go away on your system (KB2756918) is specific to .Net 3.0 SP2. So you shouldn't need to uninstall and reinstall any .Net version other than that one.

I only had to uninstall and reinstall .Net 4, but that was complicated by the fact that .Net 4 is split into two parts (Client Profile and Extended). I don't think that's true of .Net 3.0 or any other .Net version.

Well, apparently I'm in the same boat as Dave-H: on my system, only KB2756918 is wanting to install over and over again, too!

So, Dave-H, could you please give a feedback in detail which way you did go to get rid of this problem on your main machine - following heinogandas' and/or Mathwiz' suggestion(s)?

Thank you in advance!

I will certainly post my results once I've started on it!
As @Mathwiz suggested, I will start by uninstalling all the .NET 3.0 SP2 updates that are listed in Add/Remove programs, and see what MS Update then offers.
:yes:

I would have been interested in whether the Windows (%windir%\Installer) original backed patch files (numbers and letters Code.msp) of the missing updates from .NET Framework were still present. Normally, the backed-up patch files will be accessed if, as in this case, the last two KBs (NDP30SP2-KB3188734-x86.exe and NDP40-KB3189017-x86.exe) change from GDR (General Distribution Release) to LDR (Limited Distribution release). Are possibly through optimization or cleanup programs in the Installer folder maybe files deleted? In a test in an older VM, where the .NET Framework was also often updated between updates and some older, superfluous replaced updates, I did not have this phenomenon. It does not occur at all, unfortunately not with me, otherwise for me the error analysis could be made easier.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

OK, here is my report!
I uninstalled all the .NET 3.0 SP2 updates that were listed with KB numbers in Add/Remove Programs.
The oldest one went back to 2010, there were some from 2012 and a couple from this year.
I didn't note down the numbers because I assumed I could get them from the system logs.
I then ran MS Update, and was prompted to install a standalone update, and then four others.
The problem seemed to have gone away, but when I scanned again later, KB2756918 had come back again!
I reinstalled it, and immediately scanned again a couple of times and all was OK.
We'll see if it sticks!

Analysing the logs produced some interesting results........

What was removed was (in chronological order of removal, most recent first in the Add/Remove Programs list) -

KB3188734 removed
KB960043 removed
KB3072308 removed
KB2973115 removed

At that point, according to the log, KB2756918 automatically installed itself!

KB2656407 removed
KB2604110 removed
KB977354 removed

At that point, all the removals having apparently completed successfully (I wasn't aware of what KB2756918 had done in the background) I rebooted.

Then, according to the log -

KB958483 installed
KB977354 installed
KB2832411 installed
KB2861198 installed
KB3188734 installed
KB960043 installed

Only one of those, KB2832411, was in the list that I was prompted to install by MS Update!

The ones I did install from MS Update, according to its updates log, were -

KB951847
KB982524
KB2832411
KB2861189
KB3189598

All these apparently installed successfully, but only one of them, KB2861189, is listed in Add/Remove Programs!
All the others are only cursorily mentioned even in the registry, which makes me think they're not really installed at all!

My system files scanner shows that a number of files have now been replaced with earlier versions, some from several years earlier than their predecessors.
I've just done another MS Update scan, and it still shows clean. I wonder if it still will after a reboot...........

So, make of that what you will, it all seems a total mess to me, but as long as MS Update is happy that I don't need any updates, I'm happy!
:yes:

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

After installing ndp30sp2-kb3188734-x86 i experience the trouble with WU continuously presenting ndp30sp2-kb2756918-x86 to install.

Reinstalling ndp30sp2-kb2973115-x86 (that replace ndp30sp2-kb2756918-x86 due to catalog.update.microsoft.com) fix it to me.

Hope that info will be useful for anyone else.

@Dave-H

Honestly, best will probably be (best before still take an image of the HDD) completely uninstall the .NET framework and install these fresh from the beginning. I also have .NET Framework 3.5 sp1 and 4 (Rollups) in about 30 min. Installed with all the updates, in a VM with one processor core and 512 MB.

@heinoganda
LOL, I thought you'd probably say that!
I have now rebooted, and MS Update still says I don't need any updates.
I've also scanned with Baseline Security Analyser and Belarc Advisor, and they both say that I'm up to date and not missing any updates.
That being the case, I think I'll leave things as they are unless any more problems rear their heads, like updates coming back again.
Interesting what @Yellow Horror said, as KB2973115 was one of the updates that was originally in my Add/Remove Programs list that I uninstalled.
There's no evidence that it's been reinstalled, but KB2756918 is now in the list, even though from what Yellow Horror said it's older than KB2973115!
Bizarre!
:lol:

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

@Dave-H

I am happy when it has worked. I am only surprised, since the October Patchday these two updates are available, why it is only now with some users to problems. Since I am anxiously the next month, there is still one update for the .NET Framework 2.0 sp2 and 4 (a new quality security rollup, since MS should not only change the packaging, but the content of the packaging correspond, a real rollup! ). Faith so slow because the MS us begrudge no Merry Christmas and want to annoy us right times (It started so that the MSE will update any definitions except the famous POSReady 2009 Key is present, then the problem is with the extreme processor load with svchost at AU/WU/MU and for the time being to last this .NET Framework problem). :whistle: 

It is strange that most of the .NET updates that you posted here to manually update post EOS XP SP3 systems were never actually offered by MS Update at all, even with the hack. The most recent one was the first for many months.
Thinking again about the MS Baseline Security Analyser, and Belarc Advisor, am I right in assuming that both these systems will not recognise the hack, and will therefore treat the system as a native XP SP3 system?
If so, they will not take into account any subsequent updates, even those served my MS/Windows Update, and will report the system as being up to date even if further updates are actually available, either through the hack from MS/Windows Update, or manually.

On 12/17/2016 at 9:04 PM, Dave-H said:

Thinking again about the MS Baseline Security Analyser, and Belarc Advisor, am I right in assuming that both these systems will not recognise the hack, and will therefore treat the system as a native XP SP3 system?

MS Baseline Security Analyser v.2.1 works well with the "hack". It recognizes missing POS-ready updates and allow to download most of them as standalone installers. I do not try later versions of MSBSA because the download option is removed from these.

6 hours ago, Yellow Horror said:

After installing ndp30sp2-kb3188734-x86 i experience the trouble with WU continuously presenting ndp30sp2-kb2756918-x86 to install.

Reinstalling ndp30sp2-kb2973115-x86 (that replace ndp30sp2-kb2756918-x86 due to catalog.update.microsoft.com) fix it to me.

I uninstalled KB2973115, after which KB2756918 finally installed (no more repeating loop-install).  Thank you for the information, and for what was a simple and effective solution.

I have not reinstalled KB2973115, as it appears (?) that you have.  I’m holding off on this because it is a server (not XP) update, and I wonder if our use of .net updates that are not XP-specific may be the source of our .net install loop problems, which I have experienced on about ¼ of my XP machines going back eight months now.

6 hours ago, Yellow Horror said:

This seems to have worked for me too. Rebooted and kb2756918 hasn't reappeared.

Edited by PRB

11 hours ago, Dave-H said:

OK, here is my report!
I uninstalled all the .NET 3.0 SP2 updates that were listed with KB numbers in Add/Remove Programs.
The oldest one went back to 2010, there were some from 2012 and a couple from this year.
I didn't note down the numbers because I assumed I could get them from the system logs.
I then ran MS Update, and was prompted to install a standalone update, and then four others.
The problem seemed to have gone away, but when I scanned again later, KB2756918 had come back again!
I reinstalled it, and immediately scanned again a couple of times and all was OK.
We'll see if it sticks!

10 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I have now rebooted, and MS Update still says I don't need any updates.
I've also scanned with Baseline Security Analyser and Belarc Advisor, and they both say that I'm up to date and not missing any updates.
That being the case, I think I'll leave things as they are unless any more problems rear their heads, like updates coming back again.

Thank you for the report, Dave-H, I did the same - including checking with Baseline Security Analyser -, and after had having to reinstall KB2756918 one more time, it did not show up again! Excellent :-)

Edited by Mister Floppy