POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

I must say that I agree with that to some extent. There is an argument that MS should get as much telemetry back as possible from XP systems so they know that there are loads of them still in use out there. Every time I have an application freeze or crash, or a system BSOD crash, I always make a point of sending the information to MS on principle for that very reason!
The downside of that of course is that drawing attention to the fact that a lot of people are still using XP systems might encourage MS to start deliberately blocking things like the WES09 and POSReady 2009 updates. Frankly I don't think that's likely though.

@niko32
Looking at my MRT log, there is no record of any telemetry being sent by MRT.exe until August 10th 2016, when the final XP compatible version was served by Windows Update, and my log goes back to 2005.
:yes:

Ditto! The only instance of calling home is quoted (in part) below:

Results Summary:
----------------
No infection found.
Successfully Submitted MAPS Report
Successfully Submitted Heartbeat Report
MS Windows MSRT Finished On Tue Aug 09 16:57:23 2016

Return code: 0 (0x0)

With this, they counted all (or most) the currently active XP machines (all XP were still receiving MRT, IIRR).

10 hours ago, Dave-H said:

@niko32

Looking at my MRT log, there is no record of any telemetry being sent by MRT.exe until August 10th 2016, when the final XP compatible version was served by Windows Update, and my log goes back to 2005.
:yes:

This is the article from 2007 where it is debated about this. I guess MRT just didn't send any telemetry in period before August 10th 2016, or didn't report that it sent. :rolleyes: By the way my log goes back to 2009, although I've been using XP since 2005, then still dual booting with win98, of course. :)

Edited by niko32

My Latitide D630 has been getting a bit cranky too lately. No BSoDs so far, but I'll be going along, and suddenly, I'll get a hard freeze where EVERYTHING goes unresponsive, and I can't shut it down or get to Task Manager (I can get to the dialog-thing that has buttons for Task Manager, Shutting Down, and locking the screen, but I cannot do any of those things because it's frozen).

It seemed to start when I installed Dell System Detect, so I suspect that might have something to do with it. I'll try uninstalling it to see what happens.

c

5 hours ago, glnz said:

I'm a bit ... concerned.  My trusty old XP machine is giving me some BSODs.

I started a new thread on this forum at xp-growing-hair-need-a-barber-how-to-cut-back-msconfig-load-everything .  Could it be some of the recent updates?

Thanks.

I don't think so. Were it so, most of we all should be getting BSODs, too, right? :dubbio:

31 minutes ago, dencorso said:

I have two machines running fine from their 1st (and only) install, and that's from 2007 (SP3 is from 2008, remember?). :yes:
Of course, they've been kept up to date, to this day.

It may be some other issue causing so.

If there is such problem then other 3 also faced same.

• 2 weeks later...

Reporting that the update experience has been unusual here on three-for-three machines so far…

MU runs and runs, so I leave it once the yellow shield pops up, or I just wait for the yellow shield in the first place.  Then, hovering over the yellow shield shows 0% download progress indefinitely (defined as when my patience runs out).

So I reboot, and find the downloads are ready to install.  I install them, after which all is well, apparently, so far.

EDIT:  Fourth machine, no such anomaly.

EDIT:  Fifth machine, same anomaly, but this was a W2k Pro machine, otherwise not pertinent here, except that it only involved the Office update...

So maybe the XP update quirk stems from the Office update.

Edited by bluebolt

Hi for me, I just installed the updates and after restarting, only classic theme is avalaible. I'm going to restart again and see what happends.

edit:

after restarting, the desktop is OK again.

8 posready updates plus 4 for office 2010 through windows update, another one KB3197835 wasn't offered, and kb3192321 is installed again.

Edited by liamZ