POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Ten updates installed here, apparently all OK.

The yellow shield never appeared on my main machine until I removed the registry key, and then after a reboot, it did appear, showing all the updates.

My netbook, which did show the yellow shield before the key was removed, is still only showing two updates when the shield is clicked, despite having the key removed. MS Update is showing them all though. I guess the shield menu just takes a while to update.

Quite a lot of files updated this time, including a batch of Outlook Express related files that were last updated in 2008!

:)

Edited by Dave-H

Dave-H - Actually, Outlook Express 6 with all my emails going back to 1966 is the main reason why I stick with XP.  (There's no obvious way to move everything into Win 7/Win 10, with a similar email client, with any assurance of success.) 

What Outlook Express updates did you get?  Happily, I didn't get any, but very curious to know what you got.  Can you show a list?  Thanks.

WABIMP.DLL, WABFIND.DLL. and WABMIG.EXE in the Outlook Express folder were updated.

They are now version 6.0.2900.7019.

SECLOGON.DLL and OLEPRO32.DLL in the System32 folder seem to probably be related as well, judging my their original dates.

They are now version 5.1.2600.7020.

Those files were all from April 14th 2008, and are now stamped 11th February 2016, except for SECLOGON.DLL which is stamped 17th February 2016.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier was that on my netbook, but not my main machine, I was asked to OK a license agreement for the Malicious Software Removal Tool, which I don't remember happening before.

I recently restored the whole machine from a Windows 8.1 ISO backup (it's dual boot), which may have been the reason for that.

This also destroyed all my update history, on 8.1 and XP, rather annoyingly!

Edited by Dave-H

Dave-H - Thanks.

My WABIMP.DLL, WABFIND.DLL and WABMIG.EXE in the Outlook Express folder are all 6.0.2900.5512 last modified April 13, 2008.

My SECLOGON.DLL and OLEPRO32.DLL in the System32 folder are both 5.1.2600.5512 last modified April 13, 2008.

SInce my OE 6 is working well despite GBs of emails in 15 or so OE folders, I won't touch.  Maybe your updates are a Brit thing.  Also, I have IE8, and I know from experience that OE6 is strongly connected to IE8.

Haven't done Tuesday's updates yet so don't know about any license for MRT.

I just booted my machine up for the first time in a couple of weeks.  Without any registry modifications  I was given the Yellow Shield with 5 Updates.  Like Dave, my Malicious Software Removal update asked for a license agreement consent.  I'll wait for this to reboot and see if it finds another 5 updates that you guys apparently got prompted for before I ask for any advice regarding registry modifications.  

@roffen: remove this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded

reboot your PC and you should see POSReady updates in Microsoft update.

Edited by dencorso

Well I'm going to raise my hand for help now.

My XP SP3 machine (you can see my sig for more specifics) only got the install shield for 5 updates:  They were KBs:

After rebooting I kept getting prompted to reinstall the KB's with the " * " besides it so I went through the clearing of the SoftwareDistribution directory and that seems to have cleared that up.

I have not been prompted for any additional updates.

Can I please get a recommendation for my installation?  I've only made the original registry changes per hmuellers 541 post.

Thanks!

@sd73 and Roffen...

Start, run, regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, CURRENT CONTROL SET, CONTROL: Windows Embedded.

Click with the right and delete.

Reboot and everything will be back.

As to other people who need to install all the POSReady updates from scratch, save this text in a txt, change the extention to .reg and apply it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00;Windows XP Embedded SP3 (Support ended 12/01/2016);[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion]"FeaturePackVersion"="SP3";[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion]"ProductVersion"="0x00000000";Windows Embedded for point of Service (Support ends 12/04/2016)[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS]"Installed"=dword:00000000;Windows Embedded Standard 2009 (Support ends 08/01/2019)[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES]"Installed"=dword:00000000;Windows Embedded PosReady 2009 (Support ends 12/04/2019)[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]"Installed"=dword:00000001

As you can see, I added a few comment lines.

We had to modify the registry key 'cause Windows XP Embedded SP3 support ended.

Windows Embedded for point of Service is gonna be the next one (Support ends 12/04/2016), so we will have to delete [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS].

After that, we will be fine 'till 2019, when Windows Embedded Standard 2009 support will end (08/01/2019) and we will have to delete [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES].

The very last one, Windows Embedded PosReady 2009, will expire a bit later (12/04/2019) and that will be the end of Windows XP Support.

Good night.

Since the long-form version of the POS trick is the source of this mess, for anyone installing from scratch, why not just use the simple version from Post #1?

Edited by bluebolt

Dave-H - Thanks.

My WABIMP.DLL, WABFIND.DLL and WABMIG.EXE in the Outlook Express folder are all 6.0.2900.5512 last modified April 13, 2008.

My SECLOGON.DLL and OLEPRO32.DLL in the System32 folder are both 5.1.2600.5512 last modified April 13, 2008.

SInce my OE 6 is working well despite GBs of emails in 15 or so OE folders, I won't touch.  Maybe your updates are a Brit thing.  Also, I have IE8, and I know from experience that OE6 is strongly connected to IE8.

Haven't done Tuesday's updates yet so don't know about any license for MRT.

It was KB3140709 which updated the Outlook Express files if you're interested.

Edited by Dave-H

Dave-H - Many thanks for good info!  That KB is one of the ten I see on my list.

Is your OE6 still doing well after you close and restart it?  Can you open very old emails as well as new ones?  Does it send/receive without snags?

It's probably my most important app with my most important data.

Edited by glnz

Well I don't actually use OE on a day-to-day basis, I have always used Eudora as my e-mail client.

I do use OE as an archive database for my very old e-mails however, having imported them from Eudora and then deleted the original mailboxes.

OE certainly still seems to be working fine for me after the update, and reads the old mailboxes fine.

I can't test sending and receiving as I just don't use it for that.

The updated files from their names seem to be mainly to do with the address book, rather than the actual e-mail messages themselves.