POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

I run XP on FAT32: so, everyone can access any and everything. And, of course, cacls don't apply. Sorry!

@w2k4eva: OTOH, it seems to reinforce your hypothesis, doesn't it?

Well, at least it explains why you don't have this issue!

Has anyone else used this update on a NTFS-formatted drive, regardless of whether you use Avast? If so, do you have this issue or not? Are glnz and myself the only NTFS users?

* On each of the above folders, I did right-click -- Properties -- Security -- Advanced -- Owner.  Correct?

Yes.

I turned your suggested cmd request into a .bat file, and here are the results:

Hmm, your "before" looks like my "after" so it's not clear if we have exactly the same situation.

before-perms.txt          after-perms.txt

which makes me think I said something confusing... I'm not sure if you did only the items in the middle of the post, or if you started with the command line stuff at the bottom then went back to the middle? I think I need to edit that post for clarity, just so some future reader won't end up jumping in prematurely!

Meanwhile here are some background information links you might find helpful.

Access Control: Understanding Windows File And Registry Permissions    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc982153.aspx

Cacls                                                                                                 https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490872.aspx

Undocumented CACLS: Group Permissions Capabilities                          https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/162786

Well-known security identifiers in Windows operating systems                 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/243330

Changes to the behavior of the default discretionary access control list (DACL) for administrator on a Windows XP-based system

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/318825

this one is interesting if a little unclear - we seem to have gotten the NT4/W2K policies rather than the XP policy here, not sure if this changed with SP3 which came out after this KB was published - or maybe it's the W2K3 policy coming in w/SP3?

How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and folders in Windows XP

https://support2.microsoft.com/kb/308419

You receive a "The User Profile Service failed the logon” error message    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947215

the event log information part is interesting.

I'm not going to try your fix yet.  Would like to see first your response to the above and how others are faring.

If you did NOT do the last 2 cacls commands from my post but already have those permissions, method 1 in kb947215 above may be relevant. If you DID do those, see if a reboot makes those eventlog entries clear up - if you did them but rebooting doesn't help, this might be part of the explanation. You had more temporary profiles than I did, maybe the registry entries described might be why. Not real sure about this;  my temporary profiles deleted themselves without further intervention on my part. Have you rebooted more than once since spotting this issue? If so are all of those temporaries still hanging around? Who owns them?

Ever see Disney's "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?

Yeah, but it must have been like, 30 years ago.... maybe I should see if my local public library has a copy, that might be fun to watch again sometime!

• 2 weeks later...

I have problem with one of "embedded" updates.  KB3033890 installation fails after a second with only humble 0x800700C1 error. Technet's bulletin about patched vounerability: https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS15-057
Maybe I can't install beacuse I tuned off literally everything I considered "unnecessary" in autoruns. Once I did this reg tweak: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/278960 and I thougt I have found troublemaker, but after re-enabling updates the problem remains.
Do only I can't install this one?

It seems like that update is only a replacement for a couple of Windows Media Player .dll's.

Are you actually using WMP? :w00t::ph34r:

In any case it seems like not as "critical" as it is depicted, at least if the system is used correctly (in the sense of using a minimum amount of attention/intelligence):

How could an attacker exploit the vulnerability?

This vulnerability requires that a user open a specially crafted DataObject in Windows Media Player.

In a web-based attack scenario, an attacker would have to host a specially crafted DataObject that is used to attempt to exploit this vulnerability. An attacker would have no way to force users to visit a specially crafted website. Instead, an attacker would have to convince them to visit the website, typically by getting them to click a link in an email message or Instant Messenger message that takes them to the attacker's site.

All in all IMHO if someone:

1. runs with Administrator credentials
  2. uses Internet Explorer, additionally registered as default browser
  3. uses Windows Media Player
  4. has it registered in \Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy
  5. happily clicks on links found in an e-mail or IM message from strangers

actually deserves :realmad: to have his/her PC hacked.

jaclaz

Microsoft messed all non-english KB3033890 updates erroneously pushing 64-bit installer in it. Only English KB3033890 update installs successfully. Blame Microsoft for this.

Edited by Bersaglio

Microsoft messed all non-english KB3033890 updates erroneously pushing 64-bit installer in it. Only English KB3033890 update installs successfully. Blame Microsoft for this.

Interesting :).

From the good guys that are going for the "continuous update" model, YAFUP (Yet Another Failed Update Precedent) :whistle: .

jaclaz

Where can I download the English KB3033890 update?

Edited by dencorso
Content recovered.

@Jaclaz Sometimes I run music DVDs via WMP, nothing apart from that :P I thought it doesn't look that scary, just wanted to know why it's not installing properly. Still it's good to know (not "think <<maybe>>") it's not very dangerous unless some very special circumstances appear.

@Bersaligo Guess they'll fix it within next month, personally I'll wait.

All four offered updates installed fine here.

:thumbup

No ill effects noticed so far!

Same experience here.....................Windows XP home SP3 and Windows Professional SP3

Unfortunately, these updates don't install on non-english Windows XP: "Setup cannot update your Windows Media Player Series file because the language installed in your system is different from the update language" :-(

Do you think that MS will fix the problem with the messed all non-english KB3033890 updates?

The last time they messed an update up like this the update would only install on US English systems.

This update does install on my UK English machine (just for information, no help to you I realise!)

:)

For all non-English users who have a problem with the installation from KB3033890! First the following links with "Internet Explorer" (other browsers are not happily accept) the packages Download.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB3033890%20Posreadyhttp://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB3057839%20Posready

Then extract the packages using the command line parameter "-x". Now copy from KB3057839 to KB3033890 the files "spmsg.dll" and "spuninst.exe", in the "update" directory the files "update.exe" and "updspapi.dll".

In KB3033890 in directory update "update.exe" Run and install.

(Remember this is just the right with the Media Player installed updates to installed Media Player version on your system!)

Have fun!  :realmad: 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 06/17/2015

KB3033890 was taken out on WSUS Catalog, no more aviable!

(So i hope, Microsoft coming with a new Update with 32 bit Update-Engine  :whistle: )

Due to an error in KB3045171 ("GsDraw error (1): GenericError" error occurs and application crashes when you create text outline in Windows) Microsoft provides since 06/16/2015 the update KB3065979 for XP Embedded.

(via Windows Update, Microsoft Update or WSUS Catalog)

For non-english Users, Microsoft provides new update KB3033890 for Media Player via automatic update, Windows Update, Microsoft Update or WSUS Catalog with 32 bit Update-Engine!

All users who installed the workaround of the update, it is not offered again or do not need this update again.

:thumbup

Edited by heinoganda

• 2 weeks later...

Yo, buds - what's happening? 

Just back from a nice break in South of France and catching up.  But first some home movies:

Nutty grand dame hotel Le Negresco in Nice is great as a stopping point if you're running around the area as we did.  Should be able to get great rates if you dig a bit.  Wonderful service.

Truly spectacular Grand-Hotel du Cap Ferrat - an experience by itself - can offer some good rates if booked in advance and not in super-high season (which has just started).

At the other end of the scale (which at first disorientated us), we took a detour to Southeast Corsica, where rustic Hotel Ambassador Palombaggia has a wonderful owner - Madame Martine - and is one of the few only a walk from the beach.  Two good dinners there as well, with a great evening view of Jupiter, Venus and a crescent moon almost kissing.  We were sorry we didn't have another day.

Now, to what's TRULY IMPORTANT - POS upgrades for XP:

So, how are the upgrades offered June 9?  Any problems?

I'm seeing these:

HIGH PRIORITY

- Security Update for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3033890)

- Security Update for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3057839)

- Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3058515)

- Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - June 2015 (KB890830)

OPTIONAL

- Update for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3065979)

- Update for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3020338)

- Update for Skype for Windows desktop 7.0 (KB2876229)

ALSO -

Are there any new .NET updates to find and install manually?

Merci bien!

Edited by glnz