POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Yes, it appeared, thanks :)

As for calling Ms resident supermegaüberhyper-ultraparanoid - I thought the topic that gathered all links to topics related to post-April 2014 XP updates would be better place, as you linked me to another topic, but can't find it - possibly it got unpinned and lost in a tons of others. Which I don't understand, while topic about Aircraft carries, that's just for fun, is pinned, but anyway... thanks :)

3 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

resident supermegaüberhyper-ultraparanoid

Our own resident supermegaüberhyperultraparanoid is @glnz... @heinoganda was pulling his leg because he's the OP of this thread...  :P
As for the link I gave you it's to the post quoted below, which still exists on another thread:

On 6/11/2018 at 4:20 PM, heinoganda said:

KB4316682 is only available through the WSUS catalog.

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/crup/2018/05/ie8-windowsxp-kb4316682-x86-embedded-enu_cc345109f94dd7b763cc415385974632a058fd07.exe

To enable TLS 1.1 and 1.2 in Internet Explorer 8, run the following code for a reg file.

Reveal hidden contents

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AdvancedOptions\CRYPTO\TLS1.2]
"OSVersion"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AdvancedOptions\CRYPTO\TLS1.1]
"OSVersion"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"SecureProtocols"=dword:00000a80

:)

Knew all that before.

I just vaguely remember another topic with link to this one, Cert_Updater one and a few others regarding POSReady updates... It was once pinned, now I can't see it... :( and it would be useful now, as plenty of other related topics appear (f.e. oleauth related one).

None of those have ever been pinned. How do I know it? Easy: nobody unpinned anything in this subforum at least since last year.

The Cert_Updater is here:

As for the others, it's just a matter of digging deep enough.

Greetings,i had problems with POSReady updates on XP,whatever i installl updates and reboot it makes my network tray icon not working.Like if i will connect it should show the animation that its aquering network adress and eventually connect and show the icon thats its connected right?.For me it doesnt it stays at the tray icon that shows that its not connected.If i want the icon to show that its connected i need to goto "My network Places" and refresh the connections.I had to reinstalll Windows XP.....Since now i install them manually....

So my question is how can i prevent from happening with that tray icon? :)

On 10/18/2018 at 12:17 PM, PPeti66x said:

Because some people had problems with the new XP updates on non-SSE-2 CPUs, I made a big test and installed WinXP SP3 and all updates (up to October 10, 2018 from catalog update) on my old 200 MHz Pentium-1 computer (P5 architecture with MMX support). .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 was installed, but not updated nor tested. Windows Media Player was not updated to v10 or v11 and Windows Search 4.0 was not installed.

The results are:

- Everything installed fine

- System booted up correctly

- Some updates failed to work due to SSE-2 requirement:

kb4340937 (august, 2018) - msi.dll (and may be msihnd.dll and msiexec.exe)

kb4343674 (august, 2018) - gdiplus.dll only

kb4458000 (september, 2018) - gdiplus.dll only

kb4462987 (october, 2018) - gdiplus.dll only

So the new gdiplus.dll and Windows Installer updates should be skipped on non-SSE-2 CPUs.

But not all installed files are executed by the system by default, so SSE(2) requirement of some of the other files is unknown. e.g. msvidc.dll, t2embed.dll, mf3216.dll, msxml3.dll, msxml6.dll, mrx*, MS JET files should be tested. MS JET seems to be compiled with MSVC12 (which is very uncommon for Windows XP files) - and most of (may be all) MSVC12 compiled applications I used required SSE-2.

=================

A different thing:

I installed the Windows XP SP3 on the Dell M4800 notebook (Haswell, Q87 chipset). Everything works fine (except VGA in CPU - if dedicated VGA is installed, it is always used by XP, but this is by design), but I can not use sleep/stanydby - it is prohibited by "Microsoft ACPI-Compilant System" driver (HWID: ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08). Device state mappings: S0-D0, S1-Unspec., S2-Unspec, S3-D2, S4-D3, S5-D3 (so the supported sleep states: S0, S4, S5). Is possible to solve this problem (e.g. by remapping S3 to D3)?

Can confirm that all of the Jet 4.0 ones since late 2017 (Note: not just the POSReady 2009 ones) require SSE2. This will show if you run something like Access 2003 that uses Jet 4.0.

Edited by yuhong

3 hours ago, someguy25 said:

Greetings,i had problems with POSReady updates on XP,whatever i installl updates and reboot it makes my network tray icon not working.Like if i will connect it should show the animation that its aquering network adress and eventually connect and show the icon thats its connected right?.For me it doesnt it stays at the tray icon that shows that its not connected.If i want the icon to show that its connected i need to goto "My network Places" and refresh the connections.I had to reinstalll Windows XP.....Since now i install them manually....

So my question is how can i prevent from happening with that tray icon? :)

I haven't had the network tray icon in the task bar for many years.
My XP installation is coming from 2005, cant remember when it disappeared but its missing, but I doubt it has anything to do with
KB4134651-v2,
KB4134651-v2 is a recent issue and for me took away the ability to scan from my Canon Printer to my XP PC harddrive, at least it wouldn't write the scanned file to the harddrive.
Heinoganda's patched KB4134651-v2 sorted that issue out for me but the network tray icon is due to some other patch or in my case I simply don’t know.

Would be great to have my network tray icon back.

Edited by BTTB

1 hour ago, BTTB said:

I haven't had the network tray icon in the task bar for many years.
My XP installation is coming from 2005, cant remember when it disappeared but its missing, but I doubt it has anything to do with
KB4134651-v2,
KB4134651-v2 is a recent issue and for me took away the ability to scan from my Canon Printer to my XP PC harddrive, at least it wouldn't write the scanned file to the harddrive.
Heinoganda's patched KB4134651-v2 sorted that issue out for me but the network tray icon is due to some other patch or in my case I simply don’t know.

Would be great to have my network tray icon back.

This problem only occures when i install posready updates hmmm i think i should uncheck KB4074852, KB4134651 and KB4134651-v2 updates :)

Update: i found the KB4134651-v2 update  :)

Edited by someguy25

2 hours ago, Bersaglio said:

@someguy25

It is a well-known problem with KB4074852, KB4134651 and KB4134651-v2 updates. You have to hide those updates or ask @heinoganda for patched (working) KB4134651-v2 update via PM.

I cant find KB4074852 and KB4134651-v2 in microsoft updates.I only found KB4134651

UPDATE: NEVER MIND FOUND THEM I INSTALLED REBOOTED INSTALLED THE PATCHED PATCH.EVERYTHING IS NORMAL :DD

Edited by someguy25

On 10/23/2018 at 7:20 PM, yuhong said:

Can confirm that all of the Jet 4.0 ones since late 2017 (Note: not just the POSReady 2009 ones) require SSE2. This will show if you run something like Access 2003 that uses Jet 4.0.

thats kb4034775 (MS Jet 4.0 update in 2017, 4.0.9801.0)
and also kb4458006 (4.0.9801.4)

15 hours ago, roytam1 said:

thats kb4034775 (MS Jet 4.0 update in 2017, 4.0.9801.0)
and also kb4458006 (4.0.9801.4)

And worth mentioning that you can see the SSE2 instructions clearly if you disassemble the DLLs, which are the same for most if not all versions of Windows.

@yuhong

Because of the updates KB4034775 and KB4458006, the updates KB4042007, KB4050795, KB4093257 and KB4463573 should be considered as well, as they also update components of MS Jet 4.0! If KB4034775 is only supported by SSE2 processors, then it can be assumed that all follow-up updates, where the same files of KB4034775 are included, will also need SSE2 processors!

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently built a Pentium Pro system (no SSE or even MMX support) and would like to get XP as up to date as possible on it. Would it be safe to install the POSReady updates up through July 2018? Currently the system is running fully up to date as of the official XP updates, no .NET frameworks installed or desired. Thanks

Edited by maxtherabbit