POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

@everyone

FYI, new stuff has been released for XP SP4:

1. A SP4 v3.1b installer that does not install .NET Framework unless absolutely necessary  (MCE, Tablet PC).

2. Windows XP SP4 Preinstallation Environment and OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK) with SCSI drivers integrated

3. An updated MUI ISO with fixes and additions.

Check my RyanVM thread for details.

Edited by harkaz

On 9/12/2018 at 8:44 PM, Mister Floppy said:

I'm in the same boat as Dave-H - so, how can we prevent "Microsoft Update" from displaying "KB4457046 required" again and again?

Anyone have a solution to KB4457046 install error 0x66A? In POSready 2009.

Edited by Paavo

1 hour ago, Paavo said:

Anyone have a solution to KB4457046 install error 0x66A? In POSready 2009.

To install KB4457046 you need .NET Framework 4 Extended (dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe + Finnish language pack). Unfortunately, only .NET Framework 4 Client is offered at WU / MU, hence the current problem with KB4457046 that can only be installed if .NET Framework 4 Extended is installed.

:)

Because some people had problems with the new XP updates on non-SSE-2 CPUs, I made a big test and installed WinXP SP3 and all updates (up to October 10, 2018 from catalog update) on my old 200 MHz Pentium-1 computer (P5 architecture with MMX support). .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 was installed, but not updated nor tested. Windows Media Player was not updated to v10 or v11 and Windows Search 4.0 was not installed.

The results are:

- Everything installed fine

- System booted up correctly

- Some updates failed to work due to SSE-2 requirement:

kb4340937 (august, 2018) - msi.dll (and may be msihnd.dll and msiexec.exe)

kb4343674 (august, 2018) - gdiplus.dll only

kb4458000 (september, 2018) - gdiplus.dll only

kb4462987 (october, 2018) - gdiplus.dll only

So the new gdiplus.dll and Windows Installer updates should be skipped on non-SSE-2 CPUs.

But not all installed files are executed by the system by default, so SSE(2) requirement of some of the other files is unknown. e.g. msvidc.dll, t2embed.dll, mf3216.dll, msxml3.dll, msxml6.dll, mrx*, MS JET files should be tested. MS JET seems to be compiled with MSVC12 (which is very uncommon for Windows XP files) - and most of (may be all) MSVC12 compiled applications I used required SSE-2.

=================

A different thing:

I installed the Windows XP SP3 on the Dell M4800 notebook (Haswell, Q87 chipset). Everything works fine (except VGA in CPU - if dedicated VGA is installed, it is always used by XP, but this is by design), but I can not use sleep/stanydby - it is prohibited by "Microsoft ACPI-Compilant System" driver (HWID: ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08). Device state mappings: S0-D0, S1-Unspec., S2-Unspec, S3-D2, S4-D3, S5-D3 (so the supported sleep states: S0, S4, S5). Is possible to solve this problem (e.g. by remapping S3 to D3)?

2 hours ago, PPeti66x said:

MS JET seems to be compiled with MSVC12 (which is very uncommon for Windows XP files) - and most of (may be all) MSVC12 compiled applications I used required SSE-2.

On 12/7/2014 at 7:21 AM, dencorso said:

Programs failing to work because of lack of SSE2 support: since MSVS 2012 MS decided to enforce a (generally unnecessary) default standard of requiring SSE2... Which, in fact it can be turned off by simply compiling with the with /arch:SSE and /Oi- command-line switches. Then again, recompilation is mandatory for removing the SSE2 requirement, and most developers don't bother to do it at all. This spells the decomissioning of most non-SSE2 processors (all AMDs from before the introduction of AMD-64 and all Intel processors preceeding the Pentium IV). This cannot be worked around.

My question is: how to filter out updates with SSE/SSE2 requirement. For Windows Installer (executing one MSI file, e.g. office 2002 installer) and gdiplus.dll (executing Foxit Reader) was easy. The problem is, that untested files with SSE/SSE2 requirement may produce problems later, when some application trying to use it on old systems.

Update for TLS (KB4019276) released! This update addresses an issue where it was not possible to disable TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 with FIPS mode enabled.

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4459091

http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/updt/2018/10/windowsxp-kb4459091-x86-embedded-enu_6f260244fafd69643591ded6624997eb2211b627.exe

Edited by heinoganda

Heinoganda's post prompted me to look. In my Internet Options, I have DISabled SSL 2.0 and 3.0, but TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1,2 are all ENabled.  Is that still OK for XP?  Is it OK for Win 7?  Thanks.

30 minutes ago, glnz said:

Heinoganda's post prompted me to look. In my Internet Options, I have DISabled SSL 2.0 and 3.0, but TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1,2 are all ENabled.  Is that still OK for XP?  Is it OK for Win 7?

As for your question, the settings are OK. At KB4459091, here an update was released which addresses an issue in KB4019276.

1 hour ago, glnz said:

Heinoganda's post prompted me to look. In my Internet Options, I have DISabled SSL 2.0 and 3.0, but TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 are all ENabled.  Is that still OK for XP?  Is it OK for Win 7?  Thanks.

I have mine set that way too, on both versions of Windows. Most sites are on TLS 1.2 now but there are a few that still need TLS 1.0.

Personally, I wish there was an option to have TLS 1.0 enabled, but with some sort of visual cue that the site was using a less-secure protocol. But with Win XP, I'll take what I can get these days.

On 10/18/2018 at 12:26 PM, heinoganda said:

To install KB4457046 you need .NET Framework 4 Extended (dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe + Finnish language pack). Unfortunately, only .NET Framework 4 Client is offered at WU / MU, hence the current problem with KB4457046 that can only be installed if .NET Framework 4 Extended is installed.

Big thanks, heinoganda! This worked well; the lang pack was not needed (using English language).

To sum up:

Looking for updates using Microsoft update website i taking less time than taking a p*** now (I experimentally proved that!)
Installing updates takes only a few minutes now.
Additional update suggested by heinoganda also installed.
We, who have Office 2007 and compatibility pack, all got offered update for Microsoft Word Viewer, despite all of this is EOL for a few months... strange, but I do not complain.
I used new Cert-updater from Heinoganda, it all went fine and no erros like those reported by Dave-H appeared.

All good, but one minor flaw... I should disable TLS 1.0 in internet options for the sake of security, but while I do, M$ update in unavailable... So it's either M$ doing something wrong, or I do not know how to disable TLS 1.0, but not 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 respectively :)

Regarding post-EOL updates for Win 7, maybe should be split some posts and move them as new topic to Win 7 board? Mods, are you into that?

10 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

Looking for updates using Microsoft update website i taking less time than taking a p*** now (I experimentally proved that!)
Installing updates takes only a few minutes now.

Knock on wood! :ph34r:

All good, but one minor flaw... I should disable TLS 1.0 in internet options for the sake of security, but while I do, M$ update in unavailable... So it's either M$ doing something wrong, [...]

Yes: MU/WU still use TLS 1.0. So you've got to keep it enabled or to enable it just before searching for updates, which is more of a PITA.

[...]  or I do not know how to disable TLS 1.0, but not 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 respectively :)

Don't you see these settings in "Internet Options"? If you don't you have to delete a couple of settings in the registry, as described in this post.

Clipboard01.png