POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Thanks for replying and clarification.

Mine winusb.dll is version 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255), obviously as you noticed, came from win7 package and it is created on 02 November 2006 and modified on 07 July 2009.

I thought too it was from dencorso's thread about usb updates, but apparently must have installed it from somewhere else, and data about it are pretty scarce. Anyway it isn't a big deal, but a little strange.

I have both those entries in my Add/Remove Programs.
Searching for the winusb.dll file brings up the same version (6.1.7600.16385) in system32, but there are copies of the file in two other folders relating to connectivity software for mobile phones, both my old Nokia phone and my current Samsung phone.
The copy in the Samsung folder is older (6.0.6000.16386), the one in the Nokia folder is the same as the one in system32.
If you have similar software installed that may well be where it came from.
:)

Yeah, that could be it , I've had some Samsung phone related software installed years ago.

Anyway, I circumvented the problem by copying already present in system32 winusb.dll and accompanying winusb.sys in system32/drivers to some folder, and then reinstalled them from there with Add Remove Windows Components, so it doesn't complain anymore. :)

WinUSB is an access driver with API/functions to access USB devices in a generic manner.  It is often installed for use with mobile devices (such mobile-marketed tablet computing devices, GPS navigation systems, etc.).  Modern MTP implementations and connectivity software for mobile devices are often implemented via WinUSB.

I believe that 6.1.7600.16385 was the last/latest compatible version of WinUSB for Windows XP.

Edited by Ascii2

I still haven't figured out where my files came from but turned up some possible MS sources for yours (apart from 3rd party stuff like cellphone packages, tablet packages, GPS packages, etc) .

At https://ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9200 there is some discussion and mention of KB971286. The KB article still exists and mentions the relevant files/versions but the package (WINUSB_UPDATE_XP-SRV03.exe) has been pulled from the update catalog, it is not on wayback, and apparently nobody posted it to thehotfixshare either. In the last post of the thread there are non-MS download links.

It also gave me a lead to KB970159 which at one time was thought to be a prerequisite. Again the KB article still exists but the package (Microsoft Kernel-Mode Driver Framework Install-v1.9-Win2k-WinXP-Win2k3.exe) has been pulled from the update catalog.

On https://msfn.org/board/topic/175487-standalone-winusb-installer-for-xp-kb971286/ cdob points out the android sdk which has a link to latest_usb_driver_windows.zip where he describes getting the winusb package out of the winusbcoinstaller2.dll. What he doesn't mention is that alongside this the zip also has wdfcoinstaller01009.dll, and packaged inside that is the kernel mode framework package that went missing from KB970159.

Also in this thread blackwingcat mentioned kb975559 which MS intended for W7 but it contains a newer winusb.sys 6.1.7600.16421 and Dibya says he uses it in his custom installer. This too has the KB article still available but the package is not in the update catalog. At least for this one there is a hotfix download available, though it is intended for W7 so it might not install to XP from this package even if the file inside could work (this may be why Dibya did his custom installer for it).

And someone badly lies in the mentioned article:
obraz.png.797e9625a1c93e5ed29d7342c7014554.png

This one: https://support.microsoft.com/pl-pl/help/971286/winusb-version-1-9-update-for-windows-xp-for-windows-vista-and-for-win

For comparison, pl-pl version shows last update in 2013

Edited by Mcinwwl
Adding missing content as suggested by Dibya :)

@w2k4eva You've made a really thorough investigation about it. It made me remember that is the way I got it, from WINUSB_UPDATE_XP-SRV03.exe. Now, after downloading and extracting files from that update package and comparing it to my files winusb.dll and winusb.sys, they are identical and of same version 6.1.7600.16385, called Windows USB Class Driver BETA.

So where can I get newer winusb.sys 6.1.7600.16421 for the sake of "updateness" :), I mean @Dibya's custom installer for it?

Edited by niko32

For the file itself, you could visit https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/975599/stop-error-when-you-put-a-computer-that-is-running-windows-7-or-window then look near the top of the page for the link text "Hotfix Download Available", click that; there will be a page where you can mark the checkbox for the version you want (x86), then give an email address. The site will then email you a download link to click. When you have the download you can use 7-zip or similar to extract the file.

As for the custom installer, you would have to ask Dibya, you could try sending him a PM.

17 hours ago, niko32 said:

@w2k4eva You've made a really thorough investigation about it. It made me remember that is the way I got it, from WINUSB_UPDATE_XP-SRV03.exe. Now, after downloading and extracting files from that update package and comparing it to my files winusb.dll and winusb.sys, they are identical and of same version 6.1.7600.16385, called Windows USB Class Driver BETA.

So where can I get newer winusb.sys 6.1.7600.16421 for the sake of "updateness" :), I mean @Dibya's custom installer for it?

Wait.  Let me find them out. I will post them in ryanvm

Hello All.

New member here. Super thread, thank you.

Windows update working flawlessly for me using IE8 by the way.
Thanks MS.

Question: GHOst from Ryanvm.net said I should pose my question here in regards to his August update patch, so here goes.

After installing GHOst's August 2018 patch everything is fine after install except I cannot scan from my canon printer to my PC any more, at least the file will not write to the hard drive and pops up the following error message.
"cannot write file. Code 10,242,7"
I Googled extensively and the one explanation that made sense came at the end of page 2 of this forum link > https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Office-Printers/Scanning-problem-Receive-error-message-cannot-write-file-Code-10/td-p/48659/page/2

If you are using Windows XP Pro SP3 in POSReady/WEPOS mode or Windows Embedded version only, the problem is a specific update patch # KB4074852. This patch changes important system files. After updating, many apps are not working properly (problems with .NET-based apps, scanning functions, video conversions, wifi adapters etc).

The only solution is to ignore this patch. If you have it installed, you need to uninstall it.

Now I know from reading GHOst's  posts that he has excluded KB4074852 and I don't see it under Add or Remove Programs, so if its not that patch what else could it be?

I can scan under Windows 7 but not XP since the August patch.
Also reinstalled the whole .Net package to see if that helped, nope.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Gary.
Cape Town.

Edited by dencorso
Fixed mangled link

Could also be KB4134651, which causes problems similar to KB4074852. IIRC both patches replace oleaut32.dll with a crippled version. KB4134651 first came out in May then was updated in July. If you have it try removing it and see if it fixes your problem.

If so you can hide it so it doesn't reinstall, or @heinogandacan provide you a customized version of the patch by PM. IIRC it updates the same files as the MS version except oleaut32.dll.

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

Could also be KB4134651, which causes problems similar to KB4074852. IIRC both patches replace oleaut32.dll with a crippled version. KB4134651 first came out in May then was updated in July. If you have it try removing it and see if it fixes your problem.

If so you can hide it so it doesn't reinstall, or @heinogandacan provide you a customized version of the patch by PM. IIRC it updates the same files as the MS version except oleaut32.dll.

Hi Mathwiz, thanks for your reply.
I’m in a pickle, says I cannot remove KB4134651 V2 update.
Probably a simple newb issue to sort out but please if you could enlighten me.
Will send @heinoganda a PM now for the customised patch.
Thank you.
Gary.

Shot2230.jpg

Edited by BTTB

Ouch - a subsequent update must need to be uninstalled first, then reinstalled once you manage to uninstall both KB4134651s! But I don't know which one.... :blushing:

The easiest thing might be to leave them installed, but install @heinoganda's custom version over them to replace OLEAUT32.DLL with the original version.

3 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

Ouch - a subsequent update must need to be uninstalled first, then reinstalled once you manage to uninstall both KB4134651s! But I don't know which one.... :blushing:

The easiest thing might be to leave them installed, but install @heinoganda's custom version over them to replace OLEAUT32.DLL with the original version.

I sent him a PM now.
Thank you for your help.
Will report later if it works and I can scan again from my printer to my XP PC.