POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

8 hours ago, Bersaglio said:

@Dave-H

It seems that KB4457046 is a critical security update for .NET Framework 4 Extended only. If You have only .NET Framework 4 Client Profile installed on Your system then this update is not required for You and this is a Microsoft Update error if it appears again and again.

I'm in the same boat as Dave-H - so, how can we prevent "Microsoft Update" from displaying "KB4457046 required" again and again?

I have had trouble with kb4458318, offered again and again.

The installer run through and don't want a new start - but after a few seconds the yellow shield come up again and offered the update again!

Workaround was: after new start i have run the yellow installer twice - then shut down via START - SHUT DOWN - there come up the info "install 1 update...." before shut down the pc.

After new start the offer was gone.

Sometimes the mechanism to install the update in the background don't work with the rights neccessary (and / or the right way).

Hiding a update is only a way when you know absolutely that it is not right for your system or it has problems.

Another workaround is to install it by hand with admin account.

Meanwhile, it is known that it comes with various factory OEM installations of Windows XP problems when installing updates where kernel mode files update (KB4458318 ks.sys Kernel CSA Library, KB4230467 ntoskrnl.exe ntkrnlpa.exe NT Kernel & System). As a remedy to install the update, manually install the update with the -o parameter (overwriteoem). Various "protection software" can also cause these updates are not installed correctly.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

Yep, It took my PC BELOW TWO MINUTES to look for updates, and about 50 minutes to install 'em all with no error on the way. I'm glad it's fixed, I'm sad that just as POSReady updates are about to end. Good what ends well :)

Yes, good to have the system working properly again finally, but why on earth did it take so long to do anything about it?!

I fixed my .NET update problem by installing .NET 4 Extended, problem solved! Quite why I would need it I've no idea, but I have got it on my main machine anyway, I obviously never bothered with it on my netbook.

I will have a look at that page Den mentioned.

🙂

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

I fixed my .NET update problem by installing .NET 4 Extended, problem solved! Quite why I would need it I've no idea, but I have got it on my main machine anyway, I obviously never bothered with it on my netbook.

At the latest after I installed a program that needed .NET Framework 4 and still did not work, I only install .NET Framework 4 complete with Extended. Maybe you ask MS why only .NET Framework 4 Client is offered via WU / MU. I also noticed that there was still no update for only .NET Framework 4 Extended, maybe the error is AU / WU / MU, where no difference is made with Client or Full (Client and Extended).

Is for me one of the reasons why I create my own update rollups. If I had not been so busy the last few days myself with my update rollup, I would have offered you now a complete .NET Framework 4 package (with updates) where no eternity needed for the installation.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

6 hours ago, ND22 said:

Has anyone tested the new updates with a SSE1 - only system? Do they all require SSE2?

I have one machine with only SSE that I have disabled the automatic update, so I wait too :unsure:

(all fine on three other machines with SSE2)

I have also disabled the updates on a Pentium III. As much as the updates are tested and everything looks good, after a few months an error may appear after installing a new program or doing something new. It is a risk to update blindly in SSE.

Microsoft released a security advisory about a denial-of-service vulnerability that could render Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP (and embedded), Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 as well as the corresponding server editions completely unresponsive.

Microsoft said that there is no mitigation and patches will not be offered to unsupported systems (Windows 95, 98, 2000, Vista, 8.0) and recommends disabling packet reassembly with the following command:

Win95, 98, 2000:

Netsh int ipv4 set global reassemblylimit=0

Win Vista and 8.0 users will also need:

Netsh int ipv6 set global reassemblylimit=0

The bug is called FragmentSmack because it responds to IP fragmentation, a process that adjusts the packet size to fit the maximum transmission unit (MTU) at the receiving end. Basically the victim computer receives multiple IP packets of a smaller size that are expected to be reassembled into their original form at the destination. The effect is that the CPU of the machine reaches maximum utilisation level and renders the operating system unresponsive. As soon as the packets flow ceases, the CPU returns to normal usage and the system recovers.

On Windows XP we are gonna be fine. (thank you POSReady updates).

Edited by FranceBB

Vista too! (Server 2008 updates!). Also, isn't 8.0 getting unofficial updates via Server 2012?

I'm amazed that MS even cared enough about 9x to bother mentioning it! I would think that the impact of this flaw would range from negligible to nonexistent on that OS, given how few people still use it.

c

It's probably a bigger deal for servers than for old client systems like 9x, ME, NT4, or 2000. In a typical home or small office environment, the only places I can imagine the packets coming from would be either a compromised router or a malware-infected PC on the network - and it seems to me the latter would be more interested in spreading itself to the other PCs than in merely shutting them down.

I'm having a strange problem, probably related to some update I don't even remember.

While removing something in Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs - Add/Remove Windows Components, there's this Microsoft WinUsb 2.0 item there, that was already checked before, but now it suddenly asks for installation cd for winusb.dll file, which I already have inside system32 folder, and it's version 6.1.7600.16385.

Another thing, in Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs there is installed Microsoft WinUsb 1.0.

Does anyone else have this installed, and what does it do?

My \Windows\System32 folder has a winusb.dll, size 24136 bytes created/modified 02 Nov 2006 7:00:10AM, version 6.0.6000.16386, with valid MS signature. This is the only version of this file that I have anywhere on the system, no second copy in dllcache, drivers, any of the windows update uninstall folders, etc. I can't find any reference to such a file in my notes about updates that I added so I'm guessing it came preinstalled, I don't know exactly what it does. The properties sheet description says Windows USB Driver User Library"Windows USB Driver User Library". The version number would suggest mine came from a package released for Vista (despite the date being too early), while yours looks like something released for W7rtm.

That file is NOT mentioned in dencorso's thread about usb updates at https://msfn.org/board/topic/162733-usb-functional-patches-for-win-xp-after-sp3/ , nor at https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/usbcoreblog/2009/11/13/list-of-the-latest-usb-hotfixes-for-each-windows-version/

I do NOT have the item in Add/Remove Windows Components, but Add/Remove Programs does have "Microsoft WinUsb 1.0". Unlike the other program entries there is no information about size, frequency of use, last used date, etc.