POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

4 hours ago, heinoganda said:

Positive news, I noticed when testing my update rollup, in the cross check with WU, the WU / MU works again and no extreme CPU utilization of the process "svchost.exe" generates. A test at the level of December 2017 also showed that this problem no longer exists (no current cumulative update of IE8 manually installed). The WU / MU website is also working reliably again.

:)

I confirm.

I just tried to run it and it found the updates.

I never thought I was gonna see the yellow shield automatically popping up in my tray again, but it seems I will, starting from next month. :D

22 minutes ago, FranceBB said:

I never thought I was gonna see the yellow shield automatically popping up in my tray again, but it seems I will, starting from next month.

But would still not install the updates with automatic updates, there I recommend this anyway with the IE to search so that the user has control if a faulty update is offered.

9 hours ago, FranceBB said:

I never thought I was gonna see the yellow shield automatically popping up in my tray again, but it seems I will, starting from next month. :D

Not necessarily.

I don't see the yellow shield until I manually install at least one update I downloaded from Microsoft Update Catalog. Only then does the yellow shield appear with the rest of that month's updates.

man-crank-starting-old-car.jpg

@antiproton.. I know, that's what happened during the last few months 'cause Windows Update took forever to scan and the automatic update service didn't manage to download anything 'cause it uses Windows Update via IE8 in the background, however I just tried to scan for updates using Windows Update (not the catalog, I mean the built-in IE8 Windows Update) and it actually managed to finish the scan in a reasonable amount of time without using many CPU cycles, so I believe that it will eventually scan for updates next month and this time it will find them, therefore the yellow shield is gonna pop up. ;)

Hello, after installing all the updates to day on MU, I got the qt5core.dll error when stating Malwarebytes 3.5.1. I found that the culprit is the  KB4134651 update. After removing it (Malwarebytes statred working again) and MU displays the following updates to install:

High-priority updates

Microsoft Windows XP Embedded

-KB4339291, KB4134651 (7.2018), KB4134651 (5.2018), KB4089453

Optional software updates

Microsoft Windows XP Embedded

- KB4039111

Is there a work around to be up to date with the updates and have Malwarebytes working at the same time?

It looks like a new exploitation technique that they say can bypass the Windows kernel protection measures has been found. It's called "turning tables" and it exploits Windows' page tables (yes, the page files used to write memory temporarily on your hard drive when you don't have enough RAM). In the page files, multiple processes can store the same code and call upon it when needed, which has been extremely useful in the past when hard drives were used, SSD didn't exist and RAM was very limited, so page-swapping was a very common task for the OS. Nowadays, many people have SSDs for which it's suggested to disable page files entirely 'cause they would cause too many "write/delete" and jeopardise the drive life. Besides, the ones that still have an hard drive, like me, have enough RAM nowadays, so I still have page files turned on, but with 16 GB DDR4, XP very rarely makes use of them. Anyway, because some of the share code written to the page files might belong to an higher privileged process, this new Turning Tables technique allows attackers to elevate the privileges of their code to higher levels, such as SYSTEM and it can also be used to alter applications running in sandboxes, which are isolated environments created for the sole purpose of protecting apps against such attacks. For instance, Turning Tables can be used to poison browsers that run inside a sandbox, such as Chrome.

It looks like we are gonna get a new major kernel update with the next monthly update, I just hope that Microsoft doesn't rush it and ends up breaking some functionalities or makes the OS slower.

Edited by FranceBB

(Thanks to everyone for this thread and this forum!  Been invaluable.)

My XP/Posready-patched system has been running smoothly for years. I applied the August round of Windows updates (except the earlier KB4134651) 9 days ago.

Today, I blue screened at a random-seeming moment with a STOP 0x50 (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, read) in win32k.sys (last modified date 6/15/18).  (One up the call chain is ntoskrnl, last mod 5/20/18)

Coincidence? Sure, maybe my hardware just started failing today.  But it's suspicious timing.  Faulty update? I see that the win32k.sys updated happened via KB4339854 in July (patch for CVE-2018-8282), which I installed one month ago. I'm tempted to uninstall that one.

Anyway, just FYI, and wondering if anyone else is seeing recent crashes.

Thanks, all!

1 hour ago, expee said:

Today, I blue screened at a random-seeming moment with a STOP 0x50 (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, read) in win32k.sys (last modified date 6/15/18).  (One up the call chain is ntoskrnl, last mod 5/20/18)

Coincidence? Sure, maybe my hardware just started failing today.  But it's suspicious timing.  Faulty update? I see that the win32k.sys updated happened via KB4339854 in July (patch for CVE-2018-8282), which I installed one month ago.

Since August 2018, Windows XP POSReady updates require SSE2 and no such requirement is notified.
The last valid updates for SSE processors were those of July 2018.

What is your processor?

Edited by wyxchari

40 minutes ago, wyxchari said:

Since August 2018, Windows XP POSReady updates require SSE2 and no such requirement is notified.
The last valid updates for SSE processors were those of July 2018.

What is your processor?

Thanks. My computer is only 7 years old, and the CPU does indeed support SSE2, PAE and NX.  So, that's not the issue.

3 hours ago, glnz said:

s these are sort-of new topics, in what folder on this Forum should I start them?

Probably dedicated to the OS you want to migrate to :P

Sorry, but as for me this is way too off-topic. This thread is already filled with posts loosely connected with an updates, so do not expand its complexity and move to new one. It's already hard enough to find desired post in here... :)

Probably dedicated to the OS you want to migrate to :P

Sorry, but as for me this is way too off-topic. This thread is already filled with posts loosely connected with an updates, so do not expand its complexity and move to new one. It's already hard enough to find desired post in here... :)

I agree, there will I'm sure be a dedicated thread or two or more about finally abandoning XP after next April.

I personally have no intention of doing so!

Edited by Dave-H
Added quotation, as post is on a new page