Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

glnz

POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

11 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I've just run my system file check, and was very surprised to find that most of the IE files seem to be still the same version that they were before the update (8.0.6001.24032).
Normally they all change version number. The CRCs are different to the previous versions though, so something has happened!
:dubbio:

I confirm your finding. It seems MS's overworked intern forgot to update the version number, isn't it?  :P

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Hey Bersaglio - same old Q - should I run kb4011720 on my wife's Win 7 Pro 64-bit machine that has Office 2003?

Otherwise, I've installed the Nine for today on my XP machine - thanks to all.

Edited by glnz

1 hour ago, glnz said:

Should I run kb4011720 on my wife's Win 7 Pro 64-bit machine that has Office 2003?

Yes if Offce 2007 compatibility pack is installed on her system. :yes:

5 hours ago, glnz said:

Ladies and Gents - Just read the story below at AskWoody and wonder how it might affect us in the XP Elite Brigade.  Thoughts?

< ASKWOODY LINK >

PS - are the new XP updates OK for everyone, or has anyone just found himself transported into an alternate universe?  (And then how would he know?)

Not really. You can host RDP on XP if you have Pro licence or higher. For occasional home use, TeamViewer is still both easier to use and more powerful. And I'm writing this from Win 7, having TW session hosted from XP on my LAN on 2nd screen.

Posted (edited)

Mcinwwl - Agree 100%.  Am big fan of TeamViewer and use it 3,476 times a day from work to see my personal emails at home ... and to do this forum's updates on my home XP machine from a Win 7 laptop when I'm traveling.  Like yesterday.

So - you feel confident that those RDP changes will NOT impair TeamViewer??

Thanks.

EDIT - Out of curiosity, will the RDP changes prevent an RDP link between my XP machine (duct tape) and my dual-booting 7 and 10 machine?

Edited by glnz

KB4056564, the fix for the CredSSP Remote Code Execution Vulnerability, was part of Tuesday's POSReady patches. So we'll probably get the next two patches as well.

As long as both the client and server are patched, I don't think you'll have any problems RDPing between XP and newer Windows versions.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, glnz said:

So - you feel confident that those RDP changes will NOT impair TeamViewer??

They use different protocols. So they will not.

• Like 1

Hi guys.

Is it safe to go with KB4074852 and KB4056615 or should they wait just one-more-month laid off?

On 14.03.2018 at 12:38 AM, SD73 said:

I did the same IE8-KB4089187 download first and got the same results, with the addition of the Time Zone update that came out between this set of updates and the last set.  Anyway, the install went smooth.

I'm glad to confirm that :)

On 22.03.2018 at 11:07 PM, Bersaglio said:

@Mcinwwl

Only @heinoganda's repacks of these updates are safe. Please ask him using PM.:yes:

Or refrain from installing these updates entirely.

Yes, and thank to you I got them installed. I had some issues installing them, and I'll be monitoring if this was only installation issue, or there are issues with modes. I suspect it to be Security program malfunctions, but better be double cautious :>

@FranceBB You might inform good Avast! guys that it's Cyber Capture quick scan couldn't recognize that the file was already checked and scanned the same file twice. Both Times result was negative (no issues found).

Posted (edited)

Repacks are not digitally signed by anyone and are therefore scanned. Avast shouldn't scan those files twice, but only once, though. Maybe there were multiple executables, that would explain the double scan. Anyway, it should scan files on access, which means when the user tries to run an unsigned executable. As long as it's just the scan, you can skip it or add paths or files as exceptions, but if you are willing to let the lab know, I can send it through, however even though it's gonna pass the test and be marked as safe, it's gonna be for that patch only. This basically because it's important to scan every non digitally signed executable 'cause it might contain hijacked code meant to harm users. Heinoganda is a very good member of this community, I kinda trust him, but I can't say the same for every folks out there who modify a program.

Edited by FranceBB

I rather thought, that Avast! should store hash of this particular executable in his logs as scanned and considered safe after first approach. 

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but since enabling the POSReady updates (all works fine, on XP MCE SP3), I always have svchost.exe running at 99% CPU usage, even with auto updates off. Is there a fix for this? Cheers

It is almost certainly the update system causing this, even if you have it turned off in the Control Panel.
You'll probably have to stop and disable the Windows Update service to prevent it.
It should only do it if you have pending updates though, specifically the problem is caused by the Internet Explorer updates, and the Office updates if you have any MS Office components installed. If you manually install KB4089187 if it isn't installed already, it should stop it, and you can then scan for any other updates using Windows Update or Microsoft Update. Hopefully it will then be fine until the next Patch Tuesday!
:)