POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

1 minute ago, heinoganda said:

I think that the major changes to the kernel sometimes cause problems with some processors. Best then uninstall KB4056615 and wait for what will appear on the upcoming patch day for updates. Rome has not been built in a day.

:)

Yes, but it was destroyed in a day.  ;)

I'll do just that as I'm out of options at this point.

The ntfs.sys update seems to be causing problems to me, some files can't be overwritten or copied due to security descriptors cannot be applied to owner.

Reverting to 5512 fixed the problem.

Edited by roytam1

58 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

The ntfs.sys update seems to be causing problems to me, some files can't be overwritten or copied due to security descriptors cannot be applied to owner.

Reverting to 5512 fixed the problem.

Roytam1, can you explain what you mean by reverting to 5512?

Ah, gotcha. Thanks!  I suppose I could look for the older file, or just be lazy and wait.  I'm hoping laziness pays off, because I'm afraid of the consequences in this case. 

Edited by SD73

@Dave-H, @SD73

While I was was being cautious about suggesting /overwriteoem above, I think that if you guys have been applying POSReady updates so far without these kinds of "OEM driver" issues, it should be pretty safe to use it in this case. There have been a number of kernel updates already, so if all of those got applied on your systems without problems, it's rather unlikely that your current kernel files could still be OEM versions of some sort, so forcing the overwrite shouldn't be a problem. (I'd be more cautious if this were the first kernel update you've ever applied.)

I'd still feel more comfortable if I knew what actually causes this strange issue to begin with - my personal policy is not to suggest things to people unless I can be sufficiently certain they won't cause problems, and in this case the situation is somewhat vague.

1 hour ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

yiY547eV_t.jpg

What does it mean?

SpecuCheck (link was in the post you quoted ;)).

If you see the text:

Your system either does not have the appropriate patch, or it may not support the information class required

This indicates that your system is not currently patched to mitigate against these vulnerabilities.

Edited by mixit

11 hours ago, Thomas S. said:

Hi all, and happy new year!

I have a hint for all with problems installing some updates automatically like actual KB4056615.

Same here today with my XP Pro.

I download the standalone from MS update catalog and install it as ADMIN, then force the normal shutdown and restart.

After this procedere the yellow shield was gone and KB4056615 was installed properly.

Hello again, may be it is overread... :)

I had this problem also with KB3196726 and KB4025497 on my notebook.

There first was an error message "Not enough system resources" as I ran the standalone on my standard account (without "as ADMIN").

But started "as ADMIN" they go through.

30 minutes ago, mixit said:

If you see the text:

Your system either does not have the appropriate patch, or it may not support the information class required

This indicates that your system is not currently patched to mitigate against these vulnerabilities.

But the "layout" should be similar to the image below:

2AXLt.jpg

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

only if you are running a Intel CPU that is based on integrated memory control you are vulnerable.  That means anything that uses a FSB is safe.  A lot of people don't understand that.

1st Gen Core means basically FSB cpus like Core 2 Duo.  After that intel re branded their new architecture that used a integrated memory controller as 2nd generation core.

I see a lot of people freaking out for zero reason.  It irritates me so I am trying to educate.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60411/heres-list-intel-cpus-affected-spectre-meltdown/index.html

Intel® Core™ i3 processor (45nm and 32nm) 
Intel® Core™ i5 processor (45nm and 32nm) 
Intel® Core™ i7 processor (45nm and 32nm) 
Intel® Core™ M processor family (45nm and 32nm) 
2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors 
3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors 
4th generation Intel® Core™ processors 
5th generation Intel® Core™ processors 
6th generation Intel® Core™ processors 
7th generation Intel® Core™ processors 
8th generation Intel® Core™ processors 
Intel® Core™ X-series Processor Family for Intel® X99 platforms 
Intel® Core™ X-series Processor Family for Intel® X299 platforms
intel® Xeon® processor 3400 series 
Intel® Xeon® processor 3600 series 
Intel® Xeon® processor 5500 series 
Intel® Xeon® processor 5600 series 
Intel® Xeon® processor 6500 series 
Intel® Xeon® processor 7500 series 
Intel® Xeon® Processor E3 Family 
Intel® Xeon® Processor E3 v2 Family 
Intel® Xeon® Processor E3 v3 Family 
Intel® Xeon® Processor E3 v4 Family 
Intel® Xeon® Processor E3 v5 Family 
Intel® Xeon® Processor E3 v6 Family 
Intel® Xeon® Processor E5 Family 
Intel® Xeon® Processor E5 v2 Family 
Intel® Xeon® Processor E5 v3 Family 
Intel® Xeon® Processor E5 v4 Family 
Intel® Xeon® Processor E7 Family 
Intel® Xeon® Processor E7 v2 Family 
Intel® Xeon® Processor E7 v3 Family 
Intel® Xeon® Processor E7 v4 Family 
Intel® Xeon® Processor Scalable Family 
Intel® Xeon Phi™ Processor 3200, 5200, 7200 Series 
Intel® Atom™ Processor C Series 
Intel® Atom™ Processor E Series 
Intel® Atom™ Processor A Series 
Intel® Atom™ Processor x3 Series 
Intel® Atom™ Processor Z Series 
Intel® Celeron® Processor J Series 
Intel® Celeron® Processor N Series 
Intel® Pentium® Processor J Series 
Intel® Pentium® Processor N Series

You are wasting your time even running tests.  Cuz u dont get the bug.  I plan on not even installing the patch on older systems,

Edited by Destro

10 minutes ago, Destro said:

only if you are running a Intel CPU that is based on integrated memory control you are vulnerable.  That means anything that uses a FSB is safe.  A lot of people don't understand that.

1st Gen Core means basically FSB cpus like Core 2 Duo.  After that inter re branded their new architecture that used a integrated memory controller as 2nd generation core.

I see a lot of people freaking out for zero reason.  It irritates me so I am trying to educate.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60411/heres-list-intel-cpus-affected-spectre-meltdown/index.html

So basically we using FSB Core 2 Duo processors are safe from Spectre & Meltdown security hole and don't even need possible future patch. Thanks Destro for clarifying that. :)

1 hour ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

But the "layout" should be similar to the image below:

2AXLt.jpg

The quote was by the program author on the same page you got that image from, so I don't really understand what you mean by that "should". It wasn't me making claims about what the message meant.

Edited by mixit

1 hour ago, Destro said:

I know what you mean, but until Intel can be bothered to make a definitive itemized list of all processors these problems apply to, 99.9% of the people are going to think Core 2 Duos are included in this, because people aren't going know that "2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors" are supposed to be the same i3/5/7 processors that were already mentioned before (that is, unless Intel has now started reinterpreting the meanings of their own jargon). They just see the word "Core" and assume that they're probably affected, especially with all the vague claims being circulated in the media about all x64 processors being affected, etc.

Edited by mixit

Hi all,

on my USB 3.1 Stick formatted with NTFS after been connected to the compi with the new ntfs.sys file

after kb4056615 I can not copy any file to this USB stick from another compi. I got a message

"Diese Sicherheitskennung kann nicht als Besitzer des Objekts zugeordnet werden" [= "This security identifier cannot be assigned as the owner of the object."]

Also, a file 75 GByte big I can not rescue from this USB3.1 stick. After copying may be 10 GByte, a message pulled up,

that not enough resources I have on my system. But I have about 2000 Gbyte free space.

!!!So, something went wrong with new ntfs.sys !!!

Be very careful with this patch. After this bad experience I format this USB stick new with FAT32 and

all the problems are gone,

have a nice day

Dietmar