POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Thank you Destro, i was just asking you where was the link to "manually update office" and the screen you cited. When you say there aren't Office 2007 updates list, i think it could maybe be obtained thru WSUS Offline.

I've tried to give another point of view (the famous my 2 cents) on how to turn around the missing office update and speeding up the POSReady updates after clean install. Anyway MSBA seems to be a useful resource cause it gives a specific overview of your system drawing info not only from Microsoft Update but also other offline catalog more comprehensive.  

Just for the record: for the last several months @Bersaglio has been posting lists of all updates (XP, .NET, Office 2003 and 2007), complete with direct download links, on this selfsame thread. And now both are EoS, so no more updates ought to be forthcoming except for some security hole so dire MS feels like they cannot avoid releasing an "out of band" fix for it. So browse the thread and maybe you'll find all the updates you need since the latest ones you've already have applied.

1 hour ago, Vistaboy said:

Well, if i change setting i get access to a page (as see you can see below) that only let me change 1. Language 2. Show beta products 3. Disable Microsoft Update, nothing compared to W7 "find out more" related to Office.  

image.png

If you are accessing Microsoft Update rather than Windows Update, as you clearly are, it should be offering you updates for Office if you need them.
However, as has been stated, at the moment the presence of any Office updates will cause extremely extended scan times, so you are far better off finding and installing all the Office updates manually.
:yes:

Mcinwlw (or is it Mcilnnw?) - regarding your last note at   http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171814-posready-2009-updates-ported-to-windows-xp-sp3-enu/?do=findComment&comment=1147063   ...

I'm an innocent man!  Dencorso stuck my name on the very first post, and I've had to enter the Witness Protection Program. 

I had at least five or six out-of-shape XP owners curse at me, and one threw his floppy disk player at my window.  They just don't listen when I tell them I only know how to run Windows 98.

Go ahead and make any change you want - I think I'm safe now hiding out in this IBM 360 Control Console.

Edited by glnz

5 minutes ago, glnz said:

Go ahead and make any change you want - I think I'm safe now hiding out in this IBM 360 Control Console.

He cannot. But you can, as the OP. Just go to the 1st post and hit "Edit", then add the relevant info. I'd do it, were I you, and do it soo, else somene throws an IBM 029 at your window...

OK - I'll do it, whatever it is.  Just let me have the lines and I'll write them.  "To speed things up, first take the AC power cord and shove it into the parallel port socket."

FWIW, I was just looking at this web page: WSUS Offline Update

And what did I see at the top of the page? This:

Modifications in version 11.0.3

- NOTE: This version will be the very last one supporting Office 2007 (see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3198497/office-2007-approaching-end-of-extended-support)

So, use of this well-known tool is another possible option (for Office 2007, but previous versions of the tool may be available for earlier versions of Office).

On 11/8/2017 at 9:04 PM, Mcinwwl said:

Info about slow patch lookup should be in the first post, I think. Maybe I'll send one or two suggestions to you, @glnz, when I'll have more time :>

@glnz: In a nutshell: When MU takes ages to find anything, stop it, install by hand Office 2007 Comparability Pack and Office 2003 updates (they usually don't require rebooting), then the latest IE8 update, then reboot. After that, MU will find all remaining relevant updates fast. If using WU, instead, then the latest IE8 update and a reboot should be enough. Moreover, as both Office 2003 and 2007 are now EoS, the latest IE8 update and a reboot may be enough for both MU and WU. Refs: <link>,<link>,<link>,<link>.
PS: I sent you a PM...

Den - done.

I couldn't do condensed links using the links icon - gave me an error message.  So they are full links.

Also, I find the last few days that the page links for this thread don't work.  They work only if I right-click them and Open in New Tab.  Maybe something about the new Firefox?

By the way, plugging the AC into the parallel port worked great although it caused a loud whine.  I don't even have to actually connect any more - just wave the wire in front of the machine and all of a sudden it goes really fast.

1 hour ago, glnz said:

Also, I find the last few days that the page links for this thread don't work.  They work only if I right-click them and Open in New Tab.  Maybe something about the new Firefox?

No, it's not Firefox-related. I checked and has the same bug on Chrome 49. The new page in the same window don't load until pressing "refresh" button in any of this two browsers.

1 hour ago, Yellow Horror said:

No, it's not Firefox-related. I checked and has the same bug on Chrome 49. The new page in the same window don't load until pressing "refresh" button in any of this two browsers.

Ad related javascript code having some problems.

9 hours ago, glnz said:

By the way, plugging the AC into the parallel port worked great although it caused a loud whine.  I don't even have to actually connect any more - just wave the wire in front of the machine and all of a sudden it goes really fast.

If you have trouble with slow internet, you could always try lubricating the Ethernet cable so the signals can move more easily. ;)

I isolate troublesome Office compatibility pack updates today:

1. KB4011064
  2. KB3213647

If both of them are installed, the WUA takes less than five minutes to build a correct list of missing updates. If either one is missing, it locks one CPU core for hours without positive result. I use Russian version of MS Office for testing, but i don't think that the language matters.

I think, i know what the problem is. These updates have long lists of updates they replaced (and IE cumulative update too!)

It is known that original WUA has a very ineffective "tracking of replacements" routine. The Windows 7 users are first who fail into this trap of "forever update searching" some time ago. The bug was then fixed in later 7 updates, but newly installed system still has this trouble and often can't finish the first search for updates (the irony is that buggy original WUA can't find update to fix itself), so need updating WUA manually.

Now it is our, XP users, turn to suffer. Hope we receive WUA fix also.

Edited by Yellow Horror