POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

2 hours ago, glnz said:

A svchost is running 50% of the CPU non-stop.  That's new also.  Yesterday, I had uninstalled and reinstalled "the latest KB4025398 from August 28, 2017" per Heinoganda above before going for the updates, and I think that started the high CPU usage.  Hmmm.  Suggestions?  Thanks.

Have it just tested with switched on AU, with the svchost.exe no prolems with increased processor load due to KB4025398. Already a reboot? Latest cumulative update of IE8 already installed? Otherwise, I agree with the previous comment.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

Heinoganda and Bersaglio - Two things:

1)  On my good old Optiplex 755 with XP and black duct tape, Bersaglio's suggestion worked - all updated.  No 50% svchost problem.  Thanks and Danke.

2)  In XP Mode on my Win 7 machine, a svchost.exe takes up 99.99999% of the CPU, unless I STOP the service "Automatic Updates".  Then CPU goes to almost zero.  However, when I try to run Microsoft Updates, that service "Automatic Updates" restarts, the same svchost.exe again grabs 99.99999% of the CPU, and I am just sitting here getting older and older.  By the time I get the XP updates, I'll be a skeleton staring at the Microsoft Updates screen that has that green bar over and over and over ... and over.

I ran sfc /scanonce a few times.  Had an issue at first but now running clean.  However, that has not fixed the problem.

What to do?   Should I run Bersaglio's list of update links manually?  But the XP Mode does NOT have any version of Office.

Thanks for suggestions.

dencorso - Thanks again - that did the trick!

Some of the reasons I update my XP Mode on Win 7 are (a) no sense of real-world priorities and (b) I can sometimes compare the XP Mode's info to my important Optiplex XP duct-tape machine.

Now that my XP Mode started working again, it downloaded and installed KB4039111, but my Optiplex had NOT.

So I manually installed KB4039111 on the Optiplex.

Balance has returned ... except that I need the equivalent of duct tape for a VM.

Edited by glnz

On 10/11/2017 at 5:19 PM, dencorso said:

Well, I've downloaded and installed Comparability Pack update, then the IE8 one, and rebooted. Then I told MU to look for updates and waited just 1 (one) minute, before it gave me the list with the remaining updates. Did the same on my second machine and got the same result. And I guess, form next month on, just adding by hand the IE8 update ought to be enough to get such a result, once again.

Well, here're my results, up to now:

Main machine (i7 3770K on P8Z68-V LX): 1st (main) XP SP3 partition - 1 min to update list; 2nd (maintenance/bank) partition - 1 min to update list; XP mode on 7 SP1 x64 - 1 min to update list.
Second machine (i7 3770K on H67MA-E35 B3): sole XP SP3 partition - 1 min to update list.

All of them have fully up-to-date Office 2000 SP3 with fully up-to-date Office 2003 Compatibility Pack and Office 2007 Compatibility Pack on top of it.
Procedure used always the same: installed Comparability Pack update, then the IE8 one, and rebooted. Then I told MU to look for updates and waited the time indicated.

Bersaglio - just found that KB3213647 self-installed on my wife's SOHO PC running Win 7 64-bit but on which we still have Office 2003 with the 2007 Compatibility Pack.  Hmmm.

And this is the last time ever, yes?  Even for Win 7 PCs?

Maybe we should now put one of our five included installations of O365 Home on that machine, yes?  (I still prefer Office 2003 to the following versions, which are a pain.)

Thanks.

Edited by glnz

Let Office 2003 be! As I said, I have one machine with Office 97 and 3 with Ofice 2000 (one of which has actually 3 installations) and have never ever had any problem whatsoever with that. Get yourself a prescription for some antianxiety pills (prefereably a truckload of them) and just be happy. \m/ :yes:

45 minutes ago, glnz said:

Maybe we should now put one of our five included installations of O365 Home on that machine, yes?

That is definitely unnecessary. I like Office 2003 too and will not going to install modern Office 2010 (latest for Windows XP) or Office 2013+ on Windows 7+. Observance of common safety practices (good antivirus with proactive protection and adequate firewall, maybe even from good router at home) is enough usually to not suffer from infected documents.

Well my netbook finally showed me the list of updates on IE8 sometime during the night last night, after scanning since the afternoon of Wednesday 11th.
I think five days has to be some sort of record! :lol:
All installed fine.
Let's hope things are better in future now that the Office updates have ended.

LOL! :lol:

I'll see what happens next time.
I still suspect that it was the Office updates that were the real villain of the piece, simply because MS Update wasn't expecting them to be there on a POSReady machine. The IE8 updates are still standard, so I don't see why they would throw the updating system.
Only time will tell.........
:yes:

A new vulnerability has been found. "A spoofing vulnerability exists in the Windows implementation of wireless networking. An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could potentially replay broadcast and/or multicast traffic to hosts on a WPA or WPA 2-protected wireless network", Microsoft explains. This Wi-Fi WPA2 vulnerability affects all devices with Wi-Fi regardless of the operating system. I also use Fedora (Linux) and I got the patch straight away. Microsoft has already rolled out the patch to Windows 10, Windows 8.1, 8 and I think 7 but what about XP? Do we have to wait for the next POSReady security updates rollout? That would be next month.

Edited by FranceBB

29 minutes ago, FranceBB said:

This Wi-Fi WPA2 vulnerability affects all devices with Wi-Fi regardless of the operating system.

Do not forget that this vulnerability affect all routers and other Wi-Fi devices (smartphones) as well. First You need to disable Wi-Fi AP on Your router and use strong wired connection instead of Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi on all mobile devices should be disabled too. So patching Windows XP without patching Your router firmware is completely useless. This vulnerability is a real disaster.:(

2 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Microsoft has already rolled out the patch to Windows 10, Windows 8.1, 8 and I think 7 but what about XP?

Of course there was an update to Windows XP, KB4042723 (wzcsvc.dll). According to my manufacturer of the router, this is not affected with the current firmware, best at your router manufacturer inquire / inform.

Today, there was another update (KB4019276  downloadinfo) for Windows XP to support TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 (client - server / IIS).

Edited by heinoganda