POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

At this time, there are only 4 updates for Windows XP this month:

WindowsXP-KB4034034-x86-XXX.exe                   08/04/2017
WindowsXP-KB4035055-x86-XXX.exe                   08/04/2017
WindowsXP-KB4035056-x86-XXX.exe                   08/04/2017
WindowsXP-KB4034775-x86-XXX.exe                   08/06/2017

There was no update for the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack. I also missed a cumulative update for Internet Explorer 8.

@glnz

It would not be bad if in the first post of this topic it would give a hint before the POSReady updates are installed, the MSI 4.5 (KB942288-v3) is installed.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

Slim pickings compared with last month!
At least with no Office updates this time we should get a fast update scan.
Nothing here in England yet, at least no yellow shield has appeared in the system tray.

The slowest of my current multicore machines (an AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition, with 8 GiB RAM, so not so slow, in fact) got the list in precisely 1 min !!! And it found a definitions update for MSE, on top of it... Yeah: no Office updates, the fastest scan in more than one year !!! Even so, I too find strange no IE8 Cumulative Update... then again, it's not the 1st time this happens, but it's unusual, all the same...

heinoganda - done:

12 hours ago, heinoganda said:

@glnz

It would not be bad if in the first post of this topic it would give a hint before the POSReady updates are installed, the MSI 4.5 (KB942288-v3) is installed.

Has everyone installed the new four? 

16 hours ago, dencorso said:

The slowest of my current multicore machines (an AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition, with 8 GiB RAM, so not so slow, in fact) got the list in precisely 1 min !!! And it found a definitions update for MSE, on top of it... Yeah: no Office updates, the fastest scan in more than one year !!! Even so, I too find strange no IE8 Cumulative Update... then again, it's not the 1st time this happens, but it's unusual, all the same...

It is not at all slow . It will be crazy fast with xp.

All four updates installed fine here.
Scan took about 10 seconds on my main machine, and less than a minute on my very slow netbook.
That's more like it!
There seems to be no update for IE11 this month either.

7 hours ago, glnz said:

heinoganda - done:

Glad to see you've reached acceptance, mr. OP !!!  :thumbup

7 hours ago, glnz said:

Has everyone installed the new four? 

AFAICS, yes. And no report of any issues, so far!  :yes:

Hmmm.  During the installation of the four, I had both an explorer.exe crash with a Dr. Watson small window and a dumprep crash that dumprep wasn't working with a second Dr. Watson small window.  The installations seemed to continue, and I rebooted. 

No problems so far, and MS Update shows them at the top of the installed list.

But are they really installed?  (Do I really exist?)

Three years ago, August 2014, right in the middle of prepping for my wife's business's tax returns, my old Dell Opti 755 XP PC blew but I was able to do a Frankenstein revival by buying a used Dell Opti 755 without a hard drive and moving everything into it.  (Actually had a slightly better CPU.)  Got lucky.

But here is tax time again, and I'm superstitious.

Anyone else having explorer.exe problems?

The upadates we got this month are for jet  and t2embed (both of which did not receive updates since way back when) and would not put in risk the stability of your system, besides the more usual win32k.sys which can do that, and one more... query.dll, IIRR. These later two are single file updates, so that later today, when I get home, or tomorow, at the latest, I can give you size, version, md5 and sha-1 so that you can test their integrity.

2 hours ago, glnz said:

No problems so far, and MS Update shows them at the top of the installed list.

But are they really installed?  (Do I really exist?)

Anyone else having explorer.exe problems?

You may want to try the Belarc Advisor to verify you're fully updated.  That's been a great tool for me.  I've had no IE or any dump issues either.  

Edited by SD73

• 3 weeks later...

To all, but especially heinoganda -

1)  In Outlook Express on my XP machine, from time to time I get Security Alert warnings about security certificates.  The most recent one seems odd because it's in an email from my wife's ISP domain name host Network Solutions, and I know they sent it because I was on phone with them and I asked for it.  The Warning indicates that the toplevel - CA Root certificate is Cisco Umbrella Root CA and that it is not trusted because it is not in the Trusted Root Certificates Authorities store.

I have run heinoganda's certificates updater, but that doesn't fix this issue.   (Or maybe doesn't fix all of it.)

Also, I'd like to attach here the info from this security warning, but my efforts to attach here aren't being accepted, including a zip. 

What should I do?  It's fun pretending to be a tech person, but on this issue the tide just went out, and I just realized I'm skinny-dipping.

2)  In the Microsoft Update Catalog, there's a new entry for POS Ready - KB4025398.  Should we install manually?

Thanks, heinoganda and all.