POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

dencorso and niko32 - Dat's interesting. 

First, did you really mean msinfo32.exe, with a "32" in the file name?

Second, right now, before this update, msinfo32.exe in that folder is version 5.1.2600.0, last modified August 4, 2004.  BUT ... it has not worked well for a long time - invoking it brings me only to the generic "Help and Support Center" function.  To get it to work well, I have a shortcut that invokes
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe" /showcategories .

I haven't run this week's updates yet -- you know I always wait to see if your PCs survive or get updated to Win 3.1 against your will -- but if I run this one, do you think it will fix my minor problem with msinfo32.exe ?

Edited by glnz

11 hours ago, glnz said:

BUT ... it has not worked well for a long time - invoking it brings me only to the generic "Help and Support Center" function.  To get it to work well, I have a shortcut that invokes

How do you intend to invoke it? By typing just "MSInfo32" on the "Run" box it should work, but it shouldn't actually work from a "DOS Box" (aka "CMD Window"), because that folder isn't in the path. So that's a feature, not a bug (= "it's by design"). :unsure:

22 hours ago, glnz said:

it has not worked well for a long time - invoking it brings me only to the generic "Help and Support Center" function.  To get it to work well, I have a shortcut that invokes

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe" /showcategories .

I haven't run this week's updates yet -- you know I always wait to see if your PCs survive or get updated to Win 3.1 against your will -- but if I run this one, do you think it will fix my minor problem with msinfo32.exe ?

Maybe this could be cause of your minor problem with MSInfo:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?111211-msinfo&p=547276#post547276

Author of the post found a solution in his/her case. I can't check it, because I don't even have MSInfo anymore. But I doubt security update would address things like that.

Me too always wait a little to see is everything alright with the updates. I let the brave ones install it first, :D or those who don't use WinXP as their main OS.

Edited by niko32

Eleven updates installed fine here yesterday, plus the later KB4025409 update installed fine today, which has updated WLDAP32.DLL.
The scan was much quicker than it has been for ages on my main machine, probably about half an hour.
It still took several hours on my low-powered netbook, but still much better than last month!
:yes:

On 7/13/2017 at 7:57 AM, glnz said:

BUT ... it has not worked well for a long time - invoking it brings me only to the generic "Help and Support Center" function.  To get it to work well, I have a shortcut that invokes

18 hours ago, dencorso said:

How do you intend to invoke it? By typing just "MSInfo32" on the "Run" box it should work, but it shouldn't actually work from a "DOS Box" (aka "CMD Window"), because that folder isn't in the path. So that's a feature, not a bug (= "it's by design"). :unsure:

7 hours ago, niko32 said:

Maybe this could be cause of your minor problem with MSInfo:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?111211-msinfo&p=547276#post547276

Author of the post found a solution in his/her case. I can't check it, because I don't even have MSInfo anymore. But I doubt security update would address things like that.

I think maybe @niko32: has just hit jackpot. But, in any case, besides serving as a Guinea pig for updates every month, your fellow user here (aka me) would appreciate very much some feedback about that issue, because, as you fully know, "Knowlwdge is Power"! :angel:P

Yup, Dave-H, twelve in and good for me.  Niko - not to worry, buddy, we led the way for you.  (Ha.)

By the way, niko, that 2002 forum thread was some find!  And it is correct - my  folder WINDOWS\\PCHEALTH\\HELPCTR\\OfflineCache does not have that index.dat, and probably due to the very reason mentioned - my use of Spider, remember that one?  It's probably the oldest privacy app I have.

Impressive, pal !

dencorso - we love you baby !!! 
(PS - In case that's not what you needed, I just have a shortcut .lnk that runs the msinfo32.exe program but with  /showcategories in the link parameters.)

Edited by glnz

On 12.07.2017 at 2:52 AM, dencorso said:

Less than 2h. Without having previously downloaded and installed either the new IE8 Cumulative Upd, or the two Office 2007 Upds. :thumbup

Confirmed on my machine. full update in <2 hours.

@glnz Eh good old Spider, haven't seen that program in ages. :cool: I just stumbled on that forum post, searching why I don't get MSInfo update, until I remembered that I removed it before installation. :D

@dencorso XP is my only OS on this old laptop, but I often don't wait more than a day or two until You guys try updates out, then I jump in too. :) So far, much less problems with POSReady updates than there was with XP updates before it.

I used to dual boot XP with Arch Linux before, but my old Hard Disk suddenly died and I haven't found enough time and will to go through painstakingly setup of Arch the way I want it. :)

dencorso, jaclaz, heinoganda and other wizards - for nostalgia sake, I just took a look at page 1 of this mighty thread.  May I suggest that you insert at the very top a compressed guide to what we're doing now?  In case others stumble upon this only three years late.  (A new post in AskWoody asked how to do the XP POS hack and was introduced to a page on ghacks.  But that hasn't been updated since 2014.)

I think we're now all using the simplest one-item reg hack, with particular single updates to WU and maybe IE so that everything continues to work.  You all have discovered and repeated those steps for the rest of us from time to time, but they are somewhere in the past of this time-tube. 

I was a newbie when I started here, but today I am a man!

Edited by glnz

42 minutes ago, glnz said:

I think we're now all using the simplest one-item reg hack,

Yep, and we do this EXACTLY since May 21 or 22, 2014:

https://www.sebijk.com/community/index.php?thread/2984-xp-updates-weiterbeziehen/

The post by Sebjik used to be on page 3 but since the last (or maybe last before last) stupid update to the stupid board software it is on page 5 of the thread.

Maybe making a reference to the Softpedia page:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Update-Windows-XP-after-End-of-Support-443631.shtml

where it was published on the 23rd would be more "stable".

jaclaz

My harvest today:

(KB4025409)Saturday, July 15, 2017Automatic Updates

Windows XP EmbeddedSecurity Update for WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB4025877)

Don't know what it means, I just take what I get, haven't had any obvious problems yet.

Roffen