POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

First, before making the registry change below, you should download and install Microsoft's updated Windows Installer 4.5 (KB942288-v3) from THIS LINK for Windows XP 32-bit, which is what we assume you have.  (The MS article that explains this updated installer is HERE.)

Next, copy the text given by @Sebijk (below) to notepad and save it as POSReady.txt
Make sure what you copy starts with the "Windows..." line and has two blank lines after the line that ends in "00000001"
Rename the file POSReady.txt to POSReady.reg, right-click on it, select "Merge", then "Yes".
Reboot the system.

On 5/21/2014 at 2:54 PM, Sebijk said:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

and POSReady2009 Updates will install on XP + Windows Update [then] shows the updates for POSReady 2009 :)

=================######=================

Direct Links to WU/MU (just in case...):

for Windows Update	http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate
for Microsoft Update	http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate

NOW, sometimes Microsoft Update (MU) takes a long time to get anywhere - sometimes a LONG LONG time.   Sometimes even longer than that.
When MU takes ages to find anything, stop it, install by hand the Office 2007 Comparability Pack and all Office 2003 updates (they usually don't require rebooting), then the latest IE8 update, then reboot.   After that, MU will find all remaining relevant updates fast.
If using Windows Update (WU) instead, then the latest IE8 update and a reboot should be enough.
Moreover, as both Office 2003 and 2007 are now EoS, the latest IE8 update and a reboot may be enough for both MU and WU.
See: <link> , <link> , <link> , and <link> .

THEN, after you've installed the initial truck-load of updates for POS since 2014, if you want to skip ahead and enable TLS 1.1 and 1.2 in your Internet Options - Advanced, go to this < LINK > and follow Heinoganda's instructions.  And then you might UNcheck TLS 1.0.

But please promise to come back here and slowly and carefully read every page of this thread and take notes because there'll be a test later and it's only 568 pages at this point.

'Nuff said!

Edited by glnz

• 8 months later...

On 2/18/2017 at 1:36 AM, dencorso said:

@cc333:
Before you install POSReady Updates, IMO you should download from the links I'm giving here and install the following updates:

then, with automatic updates disabled, access WU and search for updates using the "Custom" option... and when the list appears, do hide both KB905474 (the WGA Notifications - not needed at all) and KB2934207 (XP EoS Nag).

On 5/20/2017 at 7:26 PM, dencorso said:

For those having trouble with winlogon, and anyone wishing to use the latest version of it, there is WindowsXP-KB2878379-v2-x86-ENU.exe, which was not pushed via WU/MU, athough it's rather old. I've been using it since March 2014, with no adverse effects. It may or may not solve the described issue, but it won't hurt to try, right? It installs winlogon.exe, licdll.dll and dpcdll.dll, all three v. 5.1.2600.6443. It's digitally signed by MS on Fri, Sep 06, 2013 (4 years old, as I said) and exists in many or maybe all language versions.

On 11/16/2017 at 9:30 PM, dencorso said:

@Dave-H: That's a classic one! If your machine has a winlogon.exe which version is less than 5.1.2600.6443, I strongly recommend you to install this hotfix: KB2878379-v2. I've never again got a "c000021a" error after installing it.

On 11/17/2017 at 1:14 PM, dencorso said:

At present I do recommend just a few other true hotfixes, the ones marked as hotfix in this post, and the exFAT upgrade (KB955704), which version for XPSP3 has been already pulled by MS, but can still be found here. Moreover, MDGx's (yes he's alive!) enthusiastic page about exFAT is a good read (although I do still prefer either FAT32 or NTFS, a closed proprietary fs like exFAT dos not thrill me at all, as you may imagine). I haven't identified any other which is a true must, besides those. YMMV, of course! :yes:

On 11/21/2013 at 6:31 AM, dencorso said:

The list above includes just three on-demand hotfixes:
KB948101-v3 contains the latest usbohci.sys, a driver needed for USB 1.x by chpsets not manufactured by VIA or Intel (for instance: NEC or nVIDIA), while KB2828030 contains the latest usbuhci.sys, a driver needed for USB 1.x by chpsets not manufactured by VIA or Intel and the latest usbehci.sys, the driver used for USB 2.x; although no machine needs both drivers for USB 1.x, adding both is harmless. There are also newer Intel chipsets which use neither USB1.x driver, providing  USB 1.x compatibility mode via the USB 2.0 unit controlled by the usbehci.sys driver. KB959765 is a bugfix for remote NDIS devices that may not work correctly after a surprise removal and reattachment of the (same) RNDIS device.

On 11/21/2017 at 8:20 AM, Vistaboy said:

I would add this one KB922120-v6 to be able to see XP system in W7/8/10 net

On 11/21/2017 at 7:03 PM, dencorso said:

Good suggestion! I agree that one is a useful addition to my shortlist of must-have hotfixes above.
And here's some good info on it (beyond MS's KB922120), at Linksys: KB922120

On 11/21/2017 at 12:55 PM, heinoganda said:

A tip for the on-demand hotfixes that are no longer findable, directly paste the following link in the address bar and insert the required KB number.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hotfix/kbhotfix?kbnum=KB#&kbln=en-US&forceorigin=esmc
For example KB916157 (more info):
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hotfix/kbhotfix?kbnum=916157&kbln=en-US&forceorigin=esmc

On 1/6/2018 at 8:18 PM, dencorso said:

It's been some time since we talked about this, and today I remembered another hotfix I always use and ought to recommend: KB951126. It's from way back when, but it still carries the latest hal.dlls (v. 5.1.2600.5573) for XP SP3.  The KB article is gone, but the hotfix remains available by request from MS. :)

I've later found out that there are even newer hal.dlls (v. 5.1.2600.5687), but just for multicore processors (and not needed unless one's machne has more than 8 logical processors). They're found in KB958244 and, as above, the KB article is gone, but the hotfix remains available by request from MS.

Long live, XP! :)

• 5 months later...
On 2/14/2016 at 2:37 AM, dencorso said:

Some relevant links to threads derived from this one, as time goes by:

1. The EMET thread;

2. The Root Certificates and Revoked Certificates thread;

3. TBA.

On 5/22/2014 at 3:38 PM, dencorso said:

And for anyone who, like me, prefers reg files, here is the Myrrh-Sebijk-Harkaz trick in .reg form:

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES]

On 1/26/2016 at 10:59 PM, dencorso said:

It can be removed afterwards, too. But one has to remove Myrrh-Sebijk-Harkaz trick from the cold (unbooted) system, by using a live CD. That's described in this post.

Of course, there's a simpler version of it:

On 5/21/2014 at 3:54 PM, Sebijk said:

there is a much easier way:

and POSReady2009 Updates will install on XP + Windows Update shows the updates for POSReady 2009 :)

NOTE [08/03/2016]: All SP4 users up to including version 3.1a must delete the following key to continue receiving the latest updates automatically from WU:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded

Direct Links to WU/MU:

for Windows Update	http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate
for Microsoft Update	http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate

UPDATE [22/5/2014]: Sebijk reported that a simple registry tweak is enough for WU to show the latest POSReady updates on Windows XP. This method has been tested and works on any XP build.

Add the following registry keys (INF Format):

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion","FeaturePackVersion",0x00000000,"SP3"

HKLM,"SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS","Installed",0x10001,0

HKLM,"SYSTEM\WPA\WES","Installed",0x10001,0

HKLM,"SYSTEM\WPA\POSReady","Installed",0x10001,1

and restart the computer. Then run WU to get the latest updates.

ORIGINAL METHOD:The latest Patch tuesday updates have been easily ported to a Windows XP virtual system - fully updated until April 2014.

The constraints are entirely artificial. Porting is easy as 1-2-3:

1. Modify update.inf file and remove the

condition=CompositeOp,OrOp,Prereq.XPInstallEmbedded.Section line

from the Prerequisite section.

2. Use a patched update.exe version 6.3.13.0 or later to accept the modified update.inf file. Update.exe files differ between various languages.

UPDATE: Instructions on how to apply the patch to any language can be found here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171814-posready-2009-updates-ported-to-windows-xp-sp3-enu/?p=1078363

3. Compress to SFX EXE file. Delta compression optional.

I have already uploaded the files at RyanVM.net...

So Windows XP can have semi-official support until 2019! :w00t:

With reference to this:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42774

which is related to this kb:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2932079

Introduction
This update resolves a vulnerability in the Microsoft .NET Framework that could allow elevation of privilege if an unauthenticated attacker sends specially crafted data to an affected workstation or server that has the .NET Framework Remoting feature enabled.

it is IMHO not a patch for a vulnerability, it is a patch for generic stupidity.

jaclaz

First of all, thank you *very much* harkaz, this is beyond cool! Heading home from work yesterday I was almost a bit giddy seeing these semi-official patches and thinking of all the future ones that could/will be coming our way through 2019!

Let the idiots on neowin storm off in a huff! Tell them to come back in 2019.

For myself, I only get 1 patch out of the deal (I don't have IE or any version of "dontnet" installed). Hmm, I didn't think about POS not having IE6. Looks like we won't get any IE 6 patches unless somebody ports them from 2003.

Jaclaz, I agree it's a patch for general stupidity-let's hope MS doesn;'t start patching for that, as we'll all need petabyte sized drives.

(Seriously though, the link to the bulletin 42774 that you posted; under 'System Requirements' it states that Windows XP is a "supported operating system" along with Windows Server 2003. But the title at the top of the page for 42774 just says Windows Server 2003.)

Is there any chance of getting all of the Windows Server 2003 x64 updates onto XP x64? Someone just suggested I ask my question in this thread, and TIA for any help. :)

Earlier today, I attempted to download the three available updates for Server '03 and install them manually onto my XP x64 laptop. I had no trouble with MS14-026 (using the .NET 2.0 version; I don't have 4.0 installed so I didn't try that one) or 029. However, MS14-027 failed. A check of the .inf files inside the update revealed that Microsoft put in a block in "update_SP2QFE.inf" that prevents it from installing on XP x64:

[Prereq.XPAMDInstallBlock.Section]

PresentOp=CheckReg,HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions",ProductType,0x00000000

NotEqualOp=CheckReg,HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions",ProductType,0x00000000,!=,"WinNT"

Display_String="%WrongProductMessage%"

Is this update legitimately not suitable for XP x64 for some reason, or is Microsoft just being a PITA about it? And if it's the latter, how hard would it be to hack it to run? Would like to keep this machine on XP x64 as long as I can. It's a Dell Inspiron 1545 with a T9800, and it can run 7, but feels like it's running in mud compared to XP x64.

Edited by jsc1973

The update is applicable to Windows XP x64 SP2 if you remove the:

Condition=AndOp,Prereq.XPAMDInstallBlock.Section

line from the [Prerequisite] section and patch the update.exe file to accept the modified update.inf. Instructions can be found here: http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=115464#115464

The shlwapi.dll file is not an exclusive Server 2003 x64 component. In addition there are registry keys in the INF file specific for XP Professional x64:

[ProductInstall.ProfessionalFiles]
    AddReg=Product.Add.Reg.Professional

[save.Reg.For.Uninstall]

HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP Version 2003\SP%SERVICE_PACK_NUMBER%\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%

[Product.Add.Reg.Professional]
    HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%,"Comments",0,%SP_TITLE_XP%
    HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%,"Fix Description",0,%SP_TITLE_XP%
    HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%,"RegistryLocation",0,"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP Version 2003\SP%SERVICE_PACK_NUMBER%\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%"
    HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%,"ParentDisplayName",0,"%PARENT_DISPLAY_NAME_XP%"
    HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%,"DisplayName",0,"%SP_TITLE_XP%"
    HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP Version 2003\SP%SERVICE_PACK_NUMBER%\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%,"Description",,%SP_TITLE_XP%

and the relevant strings.

All these observations indicate that the update is applicable to XP x64 without any issues (It's not proved completely - that would require an analysis of the patch itself, something rather difficult and not required in this scenario).

One final note: Because these updates have been deployed on a relatively limited number of machines (XP support has officially ended and most users ignore the existance of these updates) testing any of them in VM before deploying to real hardware is strongly recommended.

@den It should not be corrected for Windows XP x64 edition:

All Windows XP x64 (Version 2003) post-SP2 updates are verified via this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP Version 2003\SP3

Rest assured the IE6 and the IE7 patches for POSReady 2009 also exist! I'm sure harkaz'll release modded versions of them soon, too.

Are you sure that there are IE6 patches for POSReady? It comes preloaded with ie7. (Never tried to revert back to ie6 since I hate it)

The patched update.exe seems to have done the trick. The update installed and is actually listed in my list of updates as a "Windows XP" update! I guess Microsoft isn't going to let anyone on XP x64 install it the easy way unless they have paid support, though.

I know there's a risk to doing this, but this isn't a mission-critical machine, anyway. Just a laptop I use when I'm away from the big iron, to go online and stuff with. If it were, I'd just update it to 7.

Guess I'll just keep doing this once a month until July of next year.

Thanks for the help! :)

Besides other editings needed, the "Frankenstein folder" "Windows XP Version 2003" must be corrected to "Windows XP", BTW.

@den It should not be corrected for Windows XP x64 edition:

All Windows XP x64 (Version 2003) post-SP2 updates are verified via this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP Version 2003\SP3

I stand corrected. Thanks! :yes: 

Rest assured the IE6 and the IE7 patches for POSReady 2009 also exist! I'm sure harkaz'll release modded versions of them soon, too.

Are you sure that there are IE6 patches for POSReady? It comes preloaded with ie7. (Never tried to revert back to ie6 since I hate it)

Yes. Harkaz made them available already, BTW.

There is also the older WEPOS/XPe which comes with IE6 and is supported until I think 2016 and also uses the same patches.