POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

2 hours ago, glnz said:

OK - still here and frustrated that everything I wanted on Christmas sales sold out two months ago.  Especially the LL Bean Hurricane flannel-lined shirt, which I wear when I'm using my XP computer,

So - my latest (third) used Dell Optiplex 755 that I bought on eBay two weeks ago is working, with my transplanted hard drive (XP of course), 4GB RAM, 10-year old video card and fax modem from my dead (second) used Optiplex 755.   (On the latest (third) Opti 755, msoobe /a says the XP is "already activated", which is good news.)  

However, the good (third) Opti 755 has an Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 CPU, which is a bit slower than the E6850 that is still in the (second, now-dead) Optiplex 755.

Questions - is it possible and not terribly difficult to take the E6850 out of the dead (second) Opti 755 and insert it into the good (third) Opti 755?  Not the entire motherboard from the dead (second) Opti 755, which may have died, just its slightly faster CPU?  And will the E6850 work if transplanted into the motherboard that now has the E6550?

The manuals for the Optiplex 755 are  < HERE >  and  < HERE >  <-- these are immediate pdf downloads on my Firefox.  I have the "Desktop" or "DT" form factor.  Please also point me to any step-by-step videos you might know.

Don't forget - I'm good with duct tape!

Thanks,

Curious, why the 755 and not the 760 or the 780?

I like the 780 the best, but the 755 was the last I think with the built in floppy drive. And none of them have PS/2 ports... gak... can't have everything!

43 minutes ago, InterLinked said:

Curious, why the 755 and not the 760 or the 780?

1)  I can't count that high.

2)  It worked before (to move my HD brain from a dead 755 body to a working 755 body), and who knows if my transplanted HD with all its drivers (including for motherboard?) and lazy expectations will work in a different body. 

3)  And who knows what msoobe /a would do?

I have a used 780 in my wife's SOHO running Win 7 Pro 64-bit (which I've kept updated per suggestions at AskWoody).  One day, we'll get a better PC for her SOHO, with Win 10 Pro 64-bit.  After that, you've inspired me to try putting my XP hard drive into that 780 body and ... see what happens.   Maybe some kind of AI transsexual experience?

Cheers.

Edited by glnz

On 11/13/2020 at 11:46 PM, win32 said:

I added that time zone update Ximonite pointed out and combined the others into one update. Why do Fiji and Morocco have so much trouble making up their minds with their time zones?

https://mega.nz/file/xh9kmIyQ#HFZ3BPEwOvljzMiB-Ln-A-Fv9-E3ENG4Y-HVdKh3ieE

Why is the DTS "Central Brazilian Standard Time" and "E. South America Standard Time" removed? I still have them in my Windows 10.

Edited by Outbreaker

1 hour ago, Outbreaker said:

Why is the DTS "Central Brazilian Standard Time" and "E. South America Standard Time" removed? I still have them in my Windows 10.

Brazil stopped observing DST, thus the DST sections were removed.

• 1 month later...

I encounter an incompatibility issue of Access 2002 in MS Office XP (other versions may be affected too) with POSReady 2009 updates, and would like to share my findings.

If install Office XP on a directly prepared POSReady 2009 system (by nlite in my case) and run Access, it will complain about "Workgroup Administrator couldn't create the workgroup information file." I searched quite a lot but could not find a solution. I did lots of experiments, and in the end, the closest solution is at https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index.php/Microsoft_KB_Archive/317708  , to register msjtes40.dll; but that is not the whole story. The problem is that msjtes40.dll in the post-SP3 update could not register itself: it reports success but in fact does not write registry.  Attached is the registry entries that should be written, retrieved through the old dll version 4.0.9502.0 with SP3.

I would not take more time to determine which specific update causes the problem. Maybe a normal updating method (install SP3 first and then those post-SP3 updates) would not cause the issue, since the old version should have registered correctly.

msjtes40.reg

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, luweitest said:

Just another two dll file in the post-SP3 update

What update do you mean? I have installed kb4034775, kb4493796 and kb4493795 (for Excel) - and dlls 4.0.9801.x are registered with no problem.

On 3/9/2021 at 3:29 AM, Usher said:

What update do you mean? I have installed kb4034775, kb4493796 and kb4493795 (for Excel) - and dlls 4.0.9801.x are registered with no problem.

Did you install them on an old system, or do a fresh install (direct integration)? If the former, the old dll files have registered themselves correctly. You could do a simple test to confirm: open regedit.exe, delete the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines, then run "regsvr32 msjet40.dll " to see if the key has been registered again. If not, run my msjet40.dll.reg provided above to restore.

15 hours ago, luweitest said:

Did you install them on an old system, or do a fresh install (direct integration)?

I installed Windows XP SP3 integrated with all patches for XP, then changed the system to POSReady and installed POSReady patches from Windows Update. I was aware that some XP patches were re-released (see v2 in filenames?) and I wouldn't integrate POSReady patches in any case because they weren't checked as intensively as XP patches.

2 hours ago, Usher said:

I installed Windows XP SP3 integrated with all patches for XP, then changed the system to POSReady and installed POSReady patches from Windows Update. I was aware that some XP patches were re-released (see v2 in filenames?) and I wouldn't integrate POSReady patches in any case because they weren't checked as intensively as XP patches.

My findings add support to your prudence.  I think my effort could be regarded as kinds of intensively checking :)

• 2 months later...
On 5/16/2017 at 5:37 PM, heinoganda said:

It must be updated, downloaded and installed manually.
The Windows Installer 4.5 (MSI) is not offered via Automatic Updates, Windows Update or Microsoft Update!

I

I've recently turned on auto updates after years of having it turned off and today I have an update notification for KB898461. The details say package installer:

Update for Windows XP (KB898461)

Last Modified: 5/23/2008

Size: 476 KB

(Gosh remember when updates really were this small? :buehehe:)

I prefer to download updates manually and in there entirety then install offline at my leisure. I'm wondering if this will change WU into a DRM?

I'm also unsure what exactly POSReady2009 is. I'm currently XPproSP3, IE6, Office 2007, and no doubt in need of a couple of updates :D  which have been mentioned in another thread, however since this one popped up natively I'm wondering if this is the installer (4.5) that you are discussing...?

5 hours ago, DbLH3liX said:

I've recently turned on auto updates after years of having it turned off and today I have an update notification for KB898461. The details say package installer:

Update for Windows XP (KB898461)

Last Modified: 5/23/2008

Size: 476 KB

(Gosh remember when updates really were this small? :buehehe:)

I prefer to download updates manually and in there entirety then install offline at my leisure. I'm wondering if this will change WU into a DRM?

I'm also unsure what exactly POSReady2009 is. I'm currently XPproSP3, IE6, Office 2007, and no doubt in need of a couple of updates :D  which have been mentioned in another thread, however since this one popped up natively I'm wondering if this is the installer (4.5) that you are discussing...?

I hope I got to you in time, but if not, hopefully everything went well. I recall running into trouble with that update and had to get rid of that that one.

https://www.processchecker.com/file/KB898461.exe.html

https://forums.majorgeeks.com/threads/kb898461.153810

You could read here if you run into trouble also.

https://errorsbase.com/k-errors/kb898461-error.html

23 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

I hope I got to you in time, but if not, hopefully everything went well. I recall running into trouble with that update and had to get rid of that that one.

https://www.processchecker.com/file/KB898461.exe.html

https://forums.majorgeeks.com/threads/kb898461.153810

You could read here if you run into trouble also.

https://errorsbase.com/k-errors/kb898461-error.html

Oh, man, I just posted this in my H3llo post. I forgot I'd already asked, sorry.

Well, good news! You did indeed get to me on time, coz it's still waiting patiently in my systray. Thanks to not a lot of trust in updates, I didn't install it yet without asking advice. I'm so terribly worried that one wrong click on an update will just lock me out forever! This is quite a daunting journey I'm on right now.

I didn't follow your links because I didn't install the update, but I'm assuming they're fixes (that I won't need..yay).

It's been soooo long since I even had WU turned on that I don't know how to get it to stop offering me that particular update - other than install which I see now is not the best option.

Thank you for your response :thumbup

17 hours ago, DbLH3liX said:

It's been soooo long since I even had WU turned on that I don't know how to get it to stop offering me that particular update - other than install which I see now is not the best option.

You could (assuming you have "custom" mode selected rather than Express mode) highlight it and then look for the "hide" link to click. But choosing to download them manually from the catalog and install only after researching each one is the safer option.