POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Read about Fiji and Morocco here:

https://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/fiji-starts-dst-2020.html

https://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/morocco-changes-clocks-2019.html

Fiji seems to stop using DST - now DST will be only in 4 summer weeks. Morocco moved to EU time zone (for economic reasons), then restored Sun time for Ramadan (for religious reasons).

Guys, a stupid question. What need to be done to enable Outlook Express 6 work with TLS 1.1 and 1.2 ?

I found some explanation in comments here by some user JD:

https://joewein.net/blog/2018/07/04/outlook-express-error-0x800ccc0b-and-the-end-of-tls-1-0-deprecated-ssl-protocol/

but it is to much confusing. Like... wut? Help please what .reg file should i created?

22 hours ago, Rod Steel said:

What need to be done to enable Outlook Express 6 work with TLS 1.1 and 1.2 ? I found some explanation in comments here by some user JD:

https://joewein.net/blog/2018/07/04/outlook-express-error-0x800ccc0b-and-the-end-of-tls-1-0-deprecated-ssl-protocol/

but it is to much confusing...

Like user Marc before him, JD is writing about Upgrading IE8 to TLS 1.2 (an old MSFN thread on the same topic). IDK about Outlook Express 6, but analogous procedure for IE9 on Vista can benefit Windows Mail. But as Marc pointed out, only a limited number of cipher suites are provided, so this solution might not be ideal.

On 11/10/2020 at 5:50 PM, Ximonite said:

Speaking of DST updates, there was one in October 2019

Just to expound upon this for a moment, the above link refers to KB4519108 which is for DST changes in Windows for Norfolk Island and Fiji Island; however, after clicking on the above link I noticed something "new" that hadn't caught my eye before:

When you expand the Applies to: section at the top of the page for KB4519108 by clicking on the More link, lo and behold, Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 appears at the end of the list.

Scrolling further down the page to the How to get this update section and specifically under the Prerequisites section it says:

There are no prerequisites to install this update on Windows 10, Windows Server 2016, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 or Windows Embedded POSReady 2009. (emphasis mine)

Of course, there are no working methods to obtain KB4519108 for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 as there are for all the other OS's listed, but I do nevertheless find the inclusion of it interesting.  Yet another oversight on the part of MS, I guess.

And last but not least, a big thanks to @win32 for your custom cumulative DST rollup update and always quick turnaround time.

Edited by XPHomeSP3

On 11/16/2020 at 7:01 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Like user Marc before him, JD is writing about Upgrading IE8 to TLS 1.2 (an old MSFN thread on the same topic). IDK about Outlook Express 6, but analogous procedure for IE9 on Vista can benefit Windows Mail. But as Marc pointed out, only a limited number of cipher suites are provided, so this solution might not be ideal.

Ok, but that was not my question. My question was: "please what .reg file should i created?"

I ask question to JD there, but pre-moderation there is not working. So days passed and my question there did not pop out. That JD is obviously what i name "quantum genius". Not only his file expired same year he uploaded it on some crappy filegarbage server. But also he did not put text for .reg file instead he put some murkey nonsense with mistakes and contradictions.

SO I ASK AGAIN: Help please what .reg file should i created? Again if question not obvious: Help please what .reg file should i created?

On 11/18/2020 at 5:34 PM, XPHomeSP3 said:

Just to expound upon this for a moment, the above link refers to KB4519108 which is for DST changes in Windows for Norfolk Island and Fiji Island; however, after clicking on the above link I noticed something "new" that hadn't caught my eye before:

When you expand the Applies to: section at the top of the page for KB4519108 by clicking on the More link, lo and behold, Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 appears at the end of the list.

Scrolling further down the page to the How to get this update section and specifically under the Prerequisites section it says:

There are no prerequisites to install this update on Windows 10, Windows Server 2016, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 or Windows Embedded POSReady 2009. (emphasis mine)

Of course, there are no working methods to obtain KB4519108 for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 as there are for all the other OS's listed, but I do nevertheless find the inclusion of it interesting.  Yet another oversight on the part of MS, I guess.

And last but not least, a big thanks to @win32 for your custom cumulative DST rollup update and always quick turnaround time.

And of course if we're gonna ask them in the user forum they're gonna deny again and remove it without any explanation...

Out of curiosity, I just searched in the Catalog, and it just shows 

Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012, Windows Embedded 8 Standard, Windows 8 Embedded

but no sign of POSReady 2009...

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4519108

I'm still waiting for the time a Premier Support Update will slip to the catalog so that we can download and apply it...

Oh well, I know it's probably useless, but... does anybody want to try to report this to Microsoft and see if they're gonna be kind enough to admit it this time or if they'll behave like the other time?

Edited by FranceBB

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, all.  Hope everyone is groovy and not dead from the virus,

Here's the latest from duct-tape land:  My second Dell Optiplex 755 DT (which I bought used on eBay in 2014 to replace my true original 755 from 2008) with my XP died (power or motherboard, who knows?), and so I have bought YET ANOTHER used Dell Optiplex 755 DT on eBay for $25 plus $763.45 shipping.  I have moved into this latest (third) 755 my hard drive (with my emails going back to WW II), 4GB RAM, video card and fax modem card.  Maybe the fax modem card isn't working, but the rest seems to be OK.

Here's my issue:  This third used Optiplex 755 has BIOS version A10, which is older than you!  But Dell drivers and downloads still offers its last BIOS A22.  (Dell also offers versions A19 and A21, but nothing else in between A10 and A22.)

So, may I install only the latest BIOS A22, or must I first install A19 and then A21?  Or must I somehow find A11, A12, A13 and so on all the way through to A22 and install every one in sequence?

I bet Dave-H knows the answer, as he probably tried to go from A22 back down to A1 and SUCCEEDED!

Thanks, don't exhale until you're vaccinated, and Merry Xmas, y'all.

I hope "$763.45" shipping is a mistake...

BIOS updates are cumulative, you only need to flash the latest version and that's all. There are some rare computers that require you to update to an intermediate bios version before upgrading to the last version but those are extremely rare and it's documented that you need that.

OK - still here and frustrated that everything I wanted on Christmas sales sold out two months ago.  Especially the LL Bean Hurricane flannel-lined shirt, which I wear when I'm using my XP computer,

So - my latest (third) used Dell Optiplex 755 that I bought on eBay two weeks ago is working, with my transplanted hard drive (XP of course), 4GB RAM, 10-year old video card and fax modem from my dead (second) used Optiplex 755.   (On the latest (third) Opti 755, msoobe /a says the XP is "already activated", which is good news.)  

However, the good (third) Opti 755 has an Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 CPU, which is a bit slower than the E6850 that is still in the (second, now-dead) Optiplex 755.

Questions - is it possible and not terribly difficult to take the E6850 out of the dead (second) Opti 755 and insert it into the good (third) Opti 755?  Not the entire motherboard from the dead (second) Opti 755, which may have died, just its slightly faster CPU?  And will the E6850 work if transplanted into the motherboard that now has the E6550?

The manuals for the Optiplex 755 are  < HERE >  and  < HERE >  <-- these are immediate pdf downloads on my Firefox.  I have the "Desktop" or "DT" form factor.  Please also point me to any step-by-step videos you might know.

Don't forget - I'm good with duct tape!

Thanks,

Edited by glnz

If it's the very same socket and the CPU ain't soldered, then I don't see why not?

I've never owned such a computer, but I've upgraded CPUs many times in different computers, it's very easy. As long as it's the same socket and the BIOS/UEFI is compatible (i.e the CPU is listed in the support list of the motherboard) and you have enough Watts available from the Power Supply, then it's very easy. You just need to buy a thermal compound to apply on the "new" CPU and you're good to go! :) Just one thing: each CPU comes with pins that are really fragile, so be careful when mounting the new CPU. They usually come with an arrow pointing in a direction on the CPU and you'll find the very same arrow on the socket which basically tells you the way you have to insert it in the socket. DO NOT insert it in any other way, otherwise you'll break the pins and your CPU is gonna be dead. 

Edited by FranceBB