POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

20 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Remember a while ago when we were talking about 0patch and I said that I was wondering whether to buy it or not?

Well, I bought it a month ago and it's been working fine so far. I also just received three new patches today. I didn't notice any incompatibility either so far. I think this is the closest thing we can get to the Microsoft Premier Support and its extended updates without paying an eye and a leg.

https://i.imgur.com/1Y87o5D.png

:yes:

You could check if some vulnerabilities that certainly affect XP will also be patched in the next few days.

Some, for example this one below:

https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2020-1403

they are mitigated with the use of an Anti-Exploit such as MBAE.

P.S. I forgot to enter the list of possible vulnerabilities:

https://www.ghacks.net/2020/07/14/microsoft-windows-security-updates-july-2020-overview/

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

• 4 weeks later...

On 8/9/2020 at 3:11 PM, Dylan Cruz said:

Just wanted to throw this in here - some POS updates break XP.

I read the thread (Beware of Office 2010 Updates!) And understood that you are trying to decrypt or encrypt Word files in XP.

And that's broken with the two TLS updates for POS.

If that is the correct short summary (otherwise please correct) then I think your conclusion is wrong.

From my point of view, current TLS support is more important than working with Word encryption under XP POS.

Or why do you have to rely on XP + Word?

The subject of "encryption" and "data security" using XP seems a bit strange anyway - XP is becoming more and more insecure. And then to leave out the few updates with new and improved encryptions just because Word has a problem with them ... Hmmmm ...

Then it's better to use a current OS + Word.

2 minutes ago, Thomas S. said:

I read the thread (Beware of Office 2010 Updates!) And understood that you are trying to decrypt or encrypt Word files in XP.

And that's broken with the two TLS updates for POS.

If that is the correct short summary (otherwise please correct) then I think your conclusion is wrong.

From my point of view, current TLS support is more important than working with Word encryption under XP POS.

You can get TLS 1.2 and 1.3 in XP without these updates anyways. This only brings the support to native Windows e.g. Internet Explorer. Good to have but far from necessary.

Encryption is necessary for me on a day to day basis so lack thereof is just a nonstarter.

Or why do you have to rely on XP + Word?

I don't. I multiple versions of Windows. But for XP to be useful, encryption needs to work.

The subject of "encryption" and "data security" using XP seems a bit strange anyway - XP is becoming more and more insecure. And then to leave out the few updates with new and improved encryptions just because Word has a problem with them ... Hmmmm ...

Then it's better to use a current OS + Word.

If you followed the thread, you'll see a couple others found a way past this. Just replace a DLL file from an older KB update and you're good to go. You can have both native TLS 1.2 and encryption!

Ok, so I understand you correct.

Sorry, but only replacing a file with an older one... Do you know, what this may done in the question of the real security? To complex.

If you only have the feeling it will be ok, than it might be a nightmare...

I see it very difficult to use inbuild XP encryption for any security use. XP is gone for this work.
(look at my signature, I have done something to hold XP alife, but now...)

1 minute ago, Thomas S. said:

Ok, so I understand you correct.

Sorry, but only replacing a file with an older one... Do you know, what this may done in the question of the real security? To complex.

If you only have the feeling it will be ok, than it might be a nightmare...

I see it very difficult to use inbuild XP encryption for any security use. XP is gone for this work.
(look at my signature, I have done something to hold XP alife, but now...)

Ah, so that makes Chrome 49 not have all those SSL errors, I'll bet!

Back in the day, you couldn't have expected to have been able to do all this, though, while you COULD have used it to work with encrypted Office documents and I did so regularly for many years. There's simply no reason why that functionality should be lost. Replacing  a single DLL is arguably far better than either not installing those updates - and some have even been able to have both DLLs in use and not replace ANYTHING at all - I was not so fortunate, I had to replace the DLL in system32 to get it working.

3 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

There's simply no reason why that functionality should be lost. Replacing  a single DLL is arguably far better than [...]

I just wanted to warn, nothing more. Everything may be fine, but do you really know? I do not.

What e.g., when the "old" XP encryption is broken and not safe anymore? Only just food for thought. :)

Just now, Thomas S. said:

I just wanted to warn, nothing more. Everything may be fine, but do you really know? I do not.

What e.g., when the "old" XP encryption is broken and not safe anymore? Only just food for thought. :)

We actually backported some encryption from XP to W2K. It got read only encryption working but not write encryption.

As far as I know, there are no incompatabilities. XP's encryption has not changed through 2020, Microsoft Office 2010+ documents work just the same. As long as you have at least XP, you have full encryption support.

On 7/14/2020 at 4:46 PM, FranceBB said:

Remember a while ago when we were talking about 0patch and I said that I was wondering whether to buy it or not?

Well, I bought it a month ago and it's been working fine so far. I also just received three new patches today. I didn't notice any incompatibility either so far. I think this is the closest thing we can get to the Microsoft Premier Support and its extended updates without paying an eye and a leg.

https://i.imgur.com/1Y87o5D.png

I was wondering if anyone was going to go the 0patch Pro route or not, so I'm glad to hear it @FranceBB 

Are you able to provide another screenshot (if you don't mind, of course) as according to the one you provided, you had neither 0 patches applied and 0 applications that were patched with your version of Windows XP at that time.

Also. were you aware of/did you receive the new 0patch Agent that was released?  It is now on v20.06.18.10800 and the details are here:

https://blog.0patch.com/2020/08/new-0patch-agent-is-released-version.html 

Finally, I think I may have found evidence of someone who is currently paying for Microsoft Premier support for Windows XP and plan on doing so until 2025!  Unfortunately, since they posted anonymously there is no way to contact them:

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/fbi-private-industry-notification-win7-is-a-leaky-boat/#post-228686 

Edited by XPHomeSP3

49 minutes ago, XPHomeSP3 said:

Finally, I think I may have found evidence of someone who is currently paying for Microsoft Premier support for Windows XP and plan on doing so until 2025!  Unfortunately, since they posted anonymously there is no way to contact them:

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/fbi-private-industry-notification-win7-is-a-leaky-boat/#post-228686 

Nice catch! So Microsoft is still releasing updates for the Premier Support and will do it after 2020?! O_O I thought the final deadline was July 2020 even for this kind of support, I didn't know that! Well, that's good news, it means that there are enough companies running XP so that it's still profitable for them to release updates past their original deadline (July 2020). Too bad he's anonymous... :( I would love to get my hands on those updates... If only Microsoft allowed private customers to buy them for a reasonable price...  :(

Are you able to provide another screenshot (if you don't mind, of course) as according to the one you provided, you had neither 0 patches applied and 0 applications that were patched with your version of Windows XP at that time.

Yeah, sure:

HmEZdR0.png

The fact that 0 patches were applied doesn't mean that it's not doing anything, it means that even when I opened patched programs like Java, Zoom, Adobe Acrobat Reader and so on, according to my usage, the patch didn't need to be injected directly in memory, as I probably didn't use a certain feature etc.

The list of patches is huge, though:

3LBSQBJ.png

Also. were you aware of/did you receive the new 0patch Agent that was released?  It is now on v20.06.18.10800

It actually updated itself automatically. It notified me that a new agent was released and it downloaded-installed-rebooted itself automatically. :)

Edited by FranceBB

What I find interesting about the 2025 comment is I thought MS was discontinuing any further updates for OS's that only used SHA-1 support as all updates for newer OS's are only signed with SHA-2?  If this is the case, then there must be an update for Windows XP to allow it to receive any future SHA-2 updates.  I'm with you though, I too would dearly love to get my hands on this and all Windows XP updates that have been issued since April 2019.  I'm guessing that's the reason why he posted anonymously.

As for 0patch, thanks for the clarification.  I'm still trying to figure it all out but, this aside, it certainly is one of the most useful security-minded programs to come along to help us all stay protected. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys. I had been around for a while updating my computers with XP until April 2019 and everything has gone well for me.

I just reinstalled XP on a computer but I can't get the updates from WU or MU. I don't get an error, it just doesn't seem to connect.

It can not be anymore? Since when? Has it been for the new SHA-2 since August 2020 or was it July 12, 2019?

Regards.

Edited by wyxchari

Microsoft Update and Windows Update no longer work on XP or Vista.
It is the SHA-2 problem. I can still connect to the MS Update website, but it immediately fails when scanning starts.
:(

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

I wonder if someone can hack the WU client and add some sort of SHA-2 support?

This presumes that the updates are still extant on the WU servers, of course (they should be, as it stands to reason that the update catalog draws from the same source, which still includes updates dating back to Windows 2000 (I just checked, and they're still there as of now;  how long it'll remain this way is anyone's guess)).

Also, I know it's not 100% relevant here, but why does WU on Vista break when one updates it with the SHA-2 support from Windows Server 2008?  I realize it increments the build number form 6002 to 6003, and that is somehow responsible for the breakage, but can't that be worked around to allow WU to work?  Or am I misunderstanding something?

c

8 hours ago, wyxchari said:

Hello guys. I had been around for a while updating my computers with XP until April 2019 and everything has gone well for me.

I just reinstalled XP on a computer but I can't get the updates from WU or MU. I don't get an error, it just doesn't seem to connect.

It can not be anymore? Since when? Has it been for the new SHA-2 since August 2020 or was it July 12, 2019?

Regards.

Have you tried to check if Windows Update MiniTool is working and then solves your problem?

http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_update_minitool.html

Edited by Sampei.Nihira