POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

1. You need to remove nothing, although patches 7 to 14 are not mandatory to make WU work.

BTW I realised, that both my VMs installed in 2019 go away without KB2898785 - @dencorso, is this something included in KB3124275 IE6 Cumulative Update? also, I remember I've been starting with IE8, so that might also did the trick.

2. I do not know if NDP20SP2-KB2932079-x86.exe  was included in later cumulative updates or not, but chances that you are really vulnerable for this are near zero in home reality. Install for sake of completeness if needed ;)

3. Microsoft might have used different certificates, it's a beeeg corpo :) start from running heinoganda's cert updater and if installer will not throw prompt that certificate looks invalid, you are safe. If you're still worried, we might compare file checksums, or you might throw it to virustotal or jotti for scan.

4. Should work no matter if you install reg tweak first or the last, but personally I always updated registry as a late step (when all XP updates were installed, and I needed POSReady ones), so that's the only way I swear on :P

5. No, you can't, due to board rules and Microsoft redistributable license, but you might do a script that downloads them all from Microsoft catalog or, if worried it will die, from Wayback machine...

Actually, I can do one myself :P

Well, since you asked me, here are my 2¢: KB2898785 *is superseded* by later updates. The important files there are browseui.dll & shdocvw.dll (both v. 6.0.2900.6740). KB3124275 IE6 *is not superseded* by later updates. The important files there are browseui.dll & shdocvw.dll (both v. 6.0.2900.6985), and the latter is the last shdocvw.dll ever released. As for browseui.dll, the last version ever released of it (v. 6.0.2900.7288) is in KB4025497, from 2017. The much older 2014 KB2962872-IE6 for x86 POSReady 2009 does, however, contain *non superseded* browsewm.dll v. 6.0.2900.6576, which is the last version of it ever released. It won't install on a system already having IE8 installed, but may be replaced by hand on a non-booted XP using, say, a linux-live CD to boot the machine, first in %windir%/system32/dllcache, then in %windir%/system32. Since those 3 files are not used by IE8 they're not updated by IE8 cumulative updates, but other XP SP3 modules do use them, so it's relatively easy not to have the last browsewm.dll & shdocvw.dll in one's installation, because the updates they are in require IE6 to install, and most users had already moved on to IE8 when they were released. HTH

I have to ask... how do you have so much detailed information about updates and which versions of the files are updated or not? Is it all about experience / trial and error?

Because I was thinking that it would be interesting to make an index about every dll and exe version, where to get them (KB number that includes the updated file) and some kind of utility that scans your system and displays outdated files for you. Like an improved windows update.

Hi Mcinwwl :), thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

So only the first 6 files are needed to make WU work? And the rest are just vulnerability and incompatibility hotfixes? In that case it makes it easier to keep track of only these 6 files. Initially I thought all 15 files are needed to make it work, I didn’t read the whole topic I admit. :)

I think the UpdateAgent-7.6 file is safe, I guess it is normal for it to show “Microsoft Update” instead of “Microsoft Corporation”.

And a big thanks to dencorso, glnz and all the others who helped to make this possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, finally I understood what MS did to KB4507704 for Windows XP Embedded. It's an update by downgrade described using corporate newspeak ;-)

You should just read list of updates here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/914387/how-to-configure-daylight-saving-time-for-microsoft-windows-os in reverse order:

1. Go to May 2019 update - it's KB4501226 described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4501226/dst-changes-in-windows-for-morocco-and-palestinian-authority As you should know, there was an update for Windows XP Embedded, but now it's removed. Explanation is in the newer update so…

2. Go up to July 2019 update - it's KB4507704 with note "This update was revised on August 13, 2019, to apply to Windows Embedded POSReady 2009" and explanation about fix for Morocco: "The base time for the "Morocco Standard Time" time zone in Windows did not update correctly to UTC+01:00 as expected in the Windows DST update that was installed on May 21, 2019 (KB 4501226). Instead, the system clock shows an incorrect base time of UTC+02:00. This update resets the base time to UTC+01:00."

Now what was revised: Some stupid person mistakenly counted KB4507704 as a fix only for Morocco, related strictly to broken change for Morocco in KB4501226 and ignored other changes (for Brazil and Palestina). So when Ramadan in 2019 was ended, they removed both updates for Windows XP Embedded – the broken one and the fix – and they called it "Update revised for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009".

Conclusion: Don't install KB4501226 and fix for KB4507704, prepare fix for KB4557900 (May 2020 update) – again for Morocco… (and other changes).

Edited by Usher

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 11:31 AM, Usher said:

Now what was revised: Some stupid person mistakenly counted KB4507704 as a fix only for Morocco, related strictly to broken change for Morocco in KB4501226 and ignored other changes (for Brazil and Palestina). So when Ramadan in 2019 was ended, they removed both updates for Windows XP Embedded – the broken one and the fix – and they called it "Update revised for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009".

Conclusion: Don't install KB4501226 and fix for KB4507704, prepare fix for KB4557900 (May 2020 update) – again for Morocco… (and other changes).

Nice work, @Usher.

Unfortunately, I already installed KB4501226 but thankfully @win32 graciously provided us with customized registry fixes for both KB4507704 and KB4557900.  

The only thing that would make this better is if we could somehow obtain the official KB4557900 MS update from someone who is still receiving XP updates from the MS Premium support program.  

MS does not stop, now other languages have been hidden from the update catalog. Displays updates in the system language only.

not-naming.jpg

It's good that I managed to download all the updates for XP, but for the server 2003 and 2003 office - no. :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 7:53 AM, ED_Sln said:

but for the server 2003 and 2003 office - no. :(

All Office 2003 updates ordered by date: https://mega.nz/file/018DwaKR#zwilrZkk6WxhHV2hbcb-qupNKV9gSue64L2_aQSxoEY

They are from an Office 2003 in Spanish. I don't know if they are valid for any language or only for Spanish. They do not have a language identifier in the file names.

Edited by wyxchari

2 hours ago, wyxchari said:

I don't know if they are valid for any language or only for Spanish.

Office 2003 has a language binding, the correct update names include themselves and the language, for example: office2003-KB2726929-FullFile-RUS.

1 hour ago, ED_Sln said:

Office 2003 has a language binding, the correct update names include themselves and the language, for example: office2003-KB2726929-FullFile-RUS.

Name of the update within the previous rar: "KB2726929 mscomctl_db27762575a6d9acc7d3f213a16b8dfbcf400830.cab"

13 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

Ah, they are in the form of cab archives. But still, the 2003 office itself, like XP, accepts updates only in its own language.

Only 5/30 are specific language.

Indeed, there is no binding to languages. But why then did all updates share by language? It was possible to make glb for everyone, and separate for localized ones. As done in the 2007 office.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember a while ago when we were talking about 0patch and I said that I was wondering whether to buy it or not?

Well, I bought it a month ago and it's been working fine so far. I also just received three new patches today. I didn't notice any incompatibility either so far. I think this is the closest thing we can get to the Microsoft Premier Support and its extended updates without paying an eye and a leg.

https://i.imgur.com/1Y87o5D.png