POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

14 minutes ago, XPHomeSP3 said:

I don't know if you've had a chance to peruse the 0patch user manual but I would recommend this as well.  You will find everything you need to know about its intricacies in there. 

404?

Since the installation fails on Windows 2000 but not Windows 2000 pretending to be XP (though it doesn't run on any form of Windows 2000), I would think that these patches were made with XP in mind. Then again, so are Office 2010 updates apparently.

Edited by win32

4 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

Assuming that I didn't try earlier is, you know, humiliating...

I believe you may have misunderstood the intent of my post or perhaps I didn't convey myself as clearly as I intended.

I just meant you are the only one who is lucky enough to be still offered POSReady 2009 updates, so maybe you'll also have the good fortune of being offered KB4507704 at some point too.

I can assure you my intent was in no way meant to humiliate you in any way, shape or form and if you took it that way, I sincerely apologize. 

We're all here to learn from and help each other as best we can and I know I'm certainly grateful for everything I've been able to benefit from so far.

7 minutes ago, win32 said:

404?

Since the installation fails on Windows 2000 but not Windows 2000 pretending to be XP (though it doesn't run on any form of Windows 2000), I would think that these patches were made with XP in mind. Then again, so are Office 2010 updates apparently.

Sorry.  Here's the correct link:

https://0patch.com/user_manual.htm 

I corrected the link in my original post too.

Edited by XPHomeSP3

Well I did install the free version and it hasn't caused any problems so far. On their website they also said that their patches are known to cause problems with Avast, but I have Avast Premier and nothing happened at all, everything is working fine. 

P.s if you're wondering why I'm replying at 1.45AM is because it's very windy and my plastic shutters are like making some sort of cracking noise (like when you're sitting in front of a bonfire)... Anyway long story short: I can't sleep.

23 minutes ago, win32 said:

Page 8: XP/2003 32 and 64 bit are supported, "fully updated" emphasized. Since POSReady updates took care of lot of recent vulnerabilities, this should just pick up the slack.

Yes, this is what I'm hoping for but I haven't installed it on my Casablacan Supermarket cash register yet.  :rolleyes:

Please let us know your results when you have a chance.

25 minutes ago, FranceBB said:

Well I did install the free version and it hasn't caused any problems so far. On their website they also said that their patches are known to cause problems with Avast, but I have Avast Premier and nothing happened at all, everything is working fine. 

P.s if you're wondering why I'm replying at 1.45AM is because it's very windy and my plastic shutters are like making some sort of cracking noise (like when you're sitting in front of a bonfire)... Anyway long story short: I can't sleep.

Awesome!

Please keep us posted and hopefully the wind will die down soon.

18 hours ago, XPHomeSP3 said:

I just meant you are the only one who is lucky enough to be still offered POSReady 2009 updates, so maybe you'll also have the good fortune of being offered KB4507704 at some point too.

I do understood you and I do regularly check if something does not pop up.

What I'm being offered are driver updates that ARE 7YEARS OLD and for unknown reason are offered just now. I bet it's shittiness of HP drivers behind it. Nothing new appears. No magic.

If you plug a piece of device that have drivers still in MU database for XP, you will be offered them.

I have as little chance of getting any extra offerings from M$ as anyone in this group, but I keep checking.

I too am always looking and last night I encountered something while searching the Microsoft update catalog which has left me wondering if I encountered a rip in the space-time continuum.

I typed in KB4501226 in the search box on the right and was rather surprised to find the following appear on my screen:

KB4501226(cropped).thumb.jpg.04fae1bbe59ad710cdd666b076877463.jpg

You can clearly see from the above there are 14 items listed and the 8th item down says:

2019-06 Update for POSReady 2009 for x86-based Systems   Windows XP Embedded   Update Rollups   6/9/2019   0 KB

Uuuuuh, what???

So, I clicked on the Download link and got an error message saying the update requested could not be found:

KB4501226-Error(cropped).thumb.jpg.f8f042f5208f9035c2d1820c2773d716.jpg

I then closed the error message and clicked on the Products tab to re-sort the files and the number of entries went from 14 to 13 because the Windows XP Embedded listing disappeared.  All the entries were then shown with their corresponding files sizes too:

KB4501226-2(cropped).thumb.jpg.d92226863bf3642f4e04ae982ed470cd.jpg

Can anyone else replicate this strange phenomenon? 

I also tried to search for KB4507704 to see if the same thing would happen but only the regular 13 listings were listed.

Edited by XPHomeSP3
fixed typos

1 hour ago, XPHomeSP3 said:

Can anyone else replicate this strange phenomenon? 

Update KB4501226 most likely was posted by mistake, out of habit. It was available within a day, after publication, so many people managed to download it. But due to the fact that the update has hidden the directory is periodically buggy and shows it again. It can still be downloaded by direct link from this message:

Well, I finally have some definitive news to share concerning KB4507704; unfortunately, it's not the news I was hoping for.

After much digging, I have come to learn from a credible source that Microsoft did indeed produce KB4507704 for Windows XP Embedded POSReady 2009. The notification stating it is available for POSReady 2009 through the methods listed in it's support article is, obviously, inaccurate because Microsoft never followed through with their official formal process of releasing KB4507704 for POSReady 2009 through Windows Update, WSUS or the update catalog. As it stands now, because POSReady 2009 has reached EOS, the only way to gain access to it is to open a paid support ticket with Microsoft in order to get it released, despite them being the ones who published the erroneous information in the first place. Unbelievable. :no:

So there you have it. All the speculation and theories put forth here have proven to be correct. Thank you and good work everyone!

Not to worry though, if you're a Microsoft Premier Support subscriber/member/partner, you undoubtedly already have KB4507704 (along with all the other security and non-security updates released over the past year) installed on your Windows XP/POSReady 2009 systems. For us franchisees of the Casablancan Supermarket chain, thankfully we have been graciously provided with a custom registry fix by @win32 to help us not only accomplish the same thing as KB4507704 but with the added benefit that it can also be applied to all NT 5.x OSes.

Finally, I would just like to close by saying that Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves for continuing to have information publicly available on their own website(s) that give the impression this update is easily obtained from methods we've been accustomed to utilizing over the years. If they aren't going to ultimately release KB4507704 for POSReady 2009 to the update catalog, then at the very least they should correct the information on their support page(s) to reflect this.

Tsk. Tsk. 

Edited by XPHomeSP3
added links; fixed typos

17 minutes ago, XPHomeSP3 said:

As it stands now, because POSReady 2009 is has reached EOS, the only way to gain access to it is to open a paid support ticket with Microsoft in order to get it released, despite them being the ones who published the erroneous information in the first place. Unbelievable.

Actually, pretty much expected, but thanks for detective work done to confirm it.

18 minutes ago, XPHomeSP3 said:

Finally, I would just like to close by saying that Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves for continuing to have information publicly available on their own website(s) that give the impression this update is easily obtained from methods we've been accustomed to utilizing over the years.

First, Microsoft is big corpo enough to do not care for as long as sales charts are ok. And who's the biggest corpo now? ;)

I have this one stored on my thumb drive, will it help anyone?

windowsxp-kb4501226-x86-embedded-enu_708fe12ecfbbb070821a87fd538af3b6b6fd3084

morroco time

11 hours ago, GH0st said:

I have this one stored on my thumb drive, will it help anyone?

windowsxp-kb4501226-x86-embedded-enu_708fe12ecfbbb070821a87fd538af3b6b6fd3084

morroco time

Thanks for your offer @GH0st.  It may help some who don't have it installed already, but KB4501226 (the DST rollup for changes in Windows for Morocco and the Palestinian Authority) was released prior to KB4507704 (which was a correction update DST rollup for changes in Windows for Brazil and Morocco). 

KB4501226 was released for POSReady 2009 by mistake by Microsoft on May 22, 2019 as POSReady 2009 had reached its EOS date on April 9, 2019.   It was briefly available in the update catalog before Microsoft realized what they had done and pulled it.

As @ED_Sln pointed out in a post above, many people (including yourself, obviously) were lucky enough to download it before Microsoft realized what they had done.