POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

1 hour ago, XPHomeSP3 said:

While I sincerely appreciate your kind offer, I really don't need the update for anything.  I just want it because it is something that I (and others here, if they wish) could apply to my/their system to make one component more up to date. 

It aggravates me to no end that Microsoft has publically available documentation for this update, with explicit instructions on how to obtain it, but it does not seem to be available anywhere.

I really believe that someone must have it archived somewhere.  Perhaps I haven't knocked on the right door yet to ask.  :wacko:

I suspect that had it been something more important than just a time zone update, it would have been saved by people.
As it is, I guess people just didn't bother.
:)

5 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I suspect that had it been something more important than just a time zone update, it would have been saved by people.

KB4507704 is still available for Windows 7. I downloaded it yesterday. It's in *.msu file so it should be repacked to use in Windows XP. It looks like there is only update for time zones and their names in all available language packs (plus manifests, certificates, hashes and other bureaucracy).

8 hours ago, Dave-H said:

As it is, I guess people just didn't bother.

I must say, given both your affinity for XP and the number of postings you have contributed to this thread since its inception, Dave-H, I would have thought you would have been one of the archivists for sure.  :yes:

3 hours ago, Usher said:

KB4507704 is still available for Windows 7. I downloaded it yesterday. It's in *.msu file so it should be repacked to use in Windows XP. It looks like there is only update for time zones and their names in all available language packs (plus manifests, certificates, hashes and other bureaucracy).

Yes, it's available here along with all the other platforms mentioned in the KB4507704 support article, except for POSReady 2009. 

Interestingly, I noticed that 4 of the files in the update catalog have file sizes of 0 bytes:

• Windows 8 Embedded for x86-based systems
  • Windows 8.1 for x64-based systems 
  • Windows Server 2008 for x64-based systems 
  • Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64-based systems 

On second thought, perhaps you should repack it to use in XP, if your offer still stands. 

Edited by XPHomeSP3
fixed typos

18 minutes ago, XPHomeSP3 said:

I must say, given both your affinity for XP and the number of postings you have contributed to this thread since its inception, Dave-H, I would have thought you would have been one of the archivists for sure.  :yes:

Well I have kept quite a few post EOS update files, but sadly that wasn't one of them!
In fact it doesn't look as if I ever installed it, as it wasn't offered through Windows or Microsoft Updates.

17 hours ago, XPHomeSP3 said:

Yes, it's available here along with all the other platforms mentioned in the KB4507704 support article, except for POSReady 2009. 

Interestingly, I noticed that 4 of the files in the update catalog have file sizes of 0 bytes:

• Windows 8 Embedded for x86-based systems
  • Windows 8.1 for x64-based systems 
  • Windows Server 2008 for x64-based systems 
  • Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64-based systems 

On second thought, perhaps you should repack it to use in XP, if your offer still stands. 

No they are not, they're about 500 kbytes; perhaps it was your connection. ;)

As to the repacking thing, I wonder whether it would be better to go with Windows 7 x86 or Windows Server 2008 x86 (which is Vista) to repack it for XP...

Anybody wants to give it a shot? Although it's useless for many of us, it would be the first widely available (kind-of-leaked) Microsoft Premier Support for Partners update for Windows XP; that's a milestone! xD

Edited by FranceBB

2 hours ago, FranceBB said:

As to the repacking thing, I wonder whether it would be better to go with Windows 7 x86 or Windows Server 2008 x86 (which is Vista) to repack it for XP...

Server 2008 is the obvious choice being closer to XP.

All this update does is update tzres.dll (Time Zone Resources), but that file doesn't exist in XP. What I see in 2000/XP is tzchange.dll and tzchange.exe, which can be used to modify time zones, and OS updates seem to use this tool to modify them as well (9x uses timezone.dll and timezone.exe). We should compare with XP timezone updates. If done correctly, we will have a Server 2008 update backported to XP, 2000 and 9x! (XP's DST update was backported to 9x)

Thing is that these omniglot NT6 updates are confusing. Anyone know of a tool to properly extract them on my NT5 machine?

Forget some of that noise, actually. All we need to do is write an INF specifying the timezone changes (as listed in the support article), I believe, in the same format as an official XP timezone update. No need to go into 2008 updates.

OK, so the changes can be summed up as:

Brazil no longer has DST, affects E. South America Standard Time and Central Brazilian Standard Time

Morocco Standard Time fixed, changed from UTC +02 to UTC +01

Now how to express that in hex...

The reg entries that would need to be changed would be in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones, specifically Central Brazilian Standard Time and E. South America Standard Time. Under each is a "Dynamic DST" key with listings of DST dates (in hex) from 2004 to 2040, which means presumably Windows XP will stop changing from ST to DT after 2040. I think we can just delete the Dynamic DST entry for Central Brazillian and E. SA time because Saskatchewan time has no DST and no such entry, and simply modify the main key for Morocco Standard Time (which is somehow, still UTC 0 on my XP).

Edited by win32

Unfortunately I haven't been able to finish my hotfix, as I can't find the MSCF.sfx needed to finish it and I'm having issues trying to get it to install on a Windows 2000 system (no XP x86 for me). So, instead of making something with unredistributable M$ files, I just consolidated the changes into one reg file that works not only on XP, but all NT 5.x OSes (a little tweaking will bring it to 9x). I just applied it and it works - now Morocco is at UTC +1 and in Standard Time. The tzchange.dll and exe seem to be unnecessary bloat.

https://mega.nz/file/B8MHwCrY#NJ9h0hroSch6eS6MhebpY7oGKIrx3OtzcWuPcoui-9U

Edited by win32

1 hour ago, win32 said:

So, instead of making something with unredistributable M$ files, I just consolidated the changes into one reg file that works not only on XP, but all NT 5.x OSes (a little tweaking will bring it to 9x). I just applied it and it works - now Morocco is at UTC +1 and in Standard Time. The tzchange.dll and exe seem to be unnecessary bloat.

Yay! I'm applying the .reg file being like

Edited by FranceBB

21 hours ago, FranceBB said:

No they are not, they're about 500 kbytes; perhaps it was your connection. ;)

I promise you those four files had a size of 0 bytes when I posted that and that was the first time they ever appeared like that.  

I just checked the KB4507704 catalog page right now and all the files are listed with their corresponding sizes. 

13 hours ago, win32 said:

Unfortunately I haven't been able to finish my hotfix, as I can't find the MSCF.sfx needed to finish it and I'm having issues trying to get it to install on a Windows 2000 system (no XP x86 for me). So, instead of making something with unredistributable M$ files, I just consolidated the changes into one reg file that works not only on XP, but all NT 5.x OSes (a little tweaking will bring it to 9x). I just applied it and it works - now Morocco is at UTC +1 and in Standard Time. The tzchange.dll and exe seem to be unnecessary bloat.

A sincere thank you for taking the time to do this for the benefit of everyone here, win32.  Nice work! 

21 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Although it's useless for many of us, it would be the first widely available (kind-of-leaked) Microsoft Premier Support for Partners update for Windows XP; that's a milestone! xD

Believe me when I say I'm am not trying to start an argument here, but I don't view KB4507704  as a Microsoft Premier Support for Partners update for Windows XP since it clearly says in its support article that it's obtainable from three otherwise normally used methods:

• Method 1: Windows Update
  • Method 2: Windows Server Update Service
  • Method 3: Microsoft Update Catalog 

If it were a Microsoft Premier Support for Partners update for Windows XP, wouldn't it have been kept under wraps along with all the other updates that have (presumably) been released over the past 12 months?  

My point is, I would very much like it if someone here would kindly contact Microsoft and literally call them on the what their own documentation for KB4507704 says. 

Like you, I would also be quite happy if someone would indeed leak the premier XP updates.

6 hours ago, XPHomeSP3 said:

I don't view KB4507704  as a Microsoft Premier Support for Partners update for Windows XP since it clearly says in its support article that it's obtainable from three otherwise normally used methods:

• Method 1: Windows Update
  • Method 2: Windows Server Update Service
  • Method 3: Microsoft Update Catalog 

If it were a Microsoft Premier Support for Partners update for Windows XP, wouldn't it have been kept under wraps along with all the other updates that have (presumably) been released over the past 12 months?  

My point is, I would very much like it if someone here would kindly contact Microsoft and literally call them on the what their own documentation for KB4507704 says. 

Like you, I would also be quite happy if someone would indeed leak the premier XP updates.

Uh... well, that's true; I was wondering though whether they made a mistake in the documentation (it was a premier update supposed to be kept secret?) or in Windows Update (it was a legit update and should have been published)... I guess we'll never know...

53 minutes ago, FranceBB said:

Uh... well, that's true; I was wondering though whether they made a mistake in the documentation (it was a premier update supposed to be kept secret?) or in Windows Update (it was a legit update and should have been published)... I guess we'll never know...

Of course we will.  The truth is out there remember.

If someone would please suggest me the best email address to use and/or the best number to call to contact Microsoft about KB4507704, I'll do my best to get an answer.  

Microsoft is known for its MiStakes, the biggest one of course being Windows 10, and I think accidentally revealing a premier support (now renamed Unified Support) update is certainly up there. Microsoft's Security Update ISOs from 2010 to 2013 had several Windows 2000 updates that obviously weren't meant to be publically released; unfortunately this method of update distribution ended in July 2016.

Since it was released in July 2019 and is a non-security update, it probably falls into the same category as the Windows 2000 updates and wasn't meant for public release.

The Unified Support sales number is 1-800-426-9400. Not sure how useful it will be though. Other than that, I found a reference to per-incident support (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4341255) but you need a M$ account to access it. For that, I guess you could say "my chain of supermarkets in Casablanca has the wrong time on their POSReady machines" and see what they could do for you, though I don't see anyone buying that. :lol: