POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Hm, I got one update offered

Hewlett-Packard - Dot4 - 11.1.1.5

Data ostatniej publikacji: 2019-9-17

Rozmiar pobieranego pliku: 11.7 MB

Hewlett-Packard Dot4  driver update released in  March 2013

Looks like oldie re-offered in September 2019.

I'm pretty sure I have newest XP Driver fro HP's website, how to check if it's really something I miss or WU/MU issue?

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 7:07 AM, Mcinwwl said:

I don't have 4507704 and I thought I have everything... will be investigating...

Just curious if you may have turned up any clues as to how we might be able to get our hands on KB4507704 ?

Believe me, I have been trying my best but, frustratingly, getting nowhere.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on a way to contact MS directly to get some clarification on or find out some more information on obtaining this update from them?

45 minutes ago, XPHomeSP3 said:

Just curious if you may have turned up any clues as to how we might be able to get our hands on KB4507704 ?

No, unfortunately.

EDIT and I assume ale the forums' threads from week ago I find right now are yours ;)

45 minutes ago, XPHomeSP3 said:

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on a way to contact MS directly to get some clarification on or find out some more information on obtaining this update from them?

They'll ignore you, they're not charity and this is a part of 15000$+ premium support FranceBB mentioned eariler.

Edited by Mcinwwl

As mentioned above, I have indeed been trying my best but, frustratingly, getting nowhere.  :crazy:

The furthest I've been able to get in my quest so far are the suggestions to either, "contact my Microsoft distributor for POSReady to see if they can get the update" or "contact Microsoft support directly."

It would be such a simple solution for Microsoft to just add KB4507704 to the update catalog since the info for it is readily available from their support page and it does appear to be something that was just an oversight on their part. 

On an unrelated note, has anyone tried running 0patch with POSReady 2009 yet?

Edited by XPHomeSP3
fixed typos

2 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

No, unfortunately.

EDIT and I assume ale the forums' threads from week ago I find right now are yours ;)

They'll ignore you, they're not charity and this is a part of 15000$+ premium support FranceBB mentioned eariler.

True, but it's worth asking anyway. I mean, what do we have to lose except for our spare time?

Besides, he lives in Canada, perhaps Canadians will be polite xD

Edited by FranceBB

CVE-2020-0668: Disable Windows Service Tracing
CVE-2019-1089: Disable RPC
CVE-2020-0645 : Disable IIS
CVE-2020-0772,CVE-2019-1315, CVE-2019-1339,CVE-2019-1319: Disable Windows Error Reporting
CVE-2020-0787 : Disable Bits
CVE-2019-0887,CVE-2019-1108,CVE-2019-1089,CVE-2019-1177,CVE-2019-1333,CVE-2019-1326 : Disable RDP
CVE-2020-0770: Disable Windows ActiveX Installer
CVE-2020-0822 : Disable Windows Language pack installer
CVE-2020-0781, CVE-2020-0783 , CVE-2019-1405 : Disable Universal Plug & Play
CVE-2020-0625, CVE-2020-0626, CVE-2020-0627, CVE-2020-0628, CVE-2020-0629, CVE-2020-0630, CVE-2020-0631, CVE-2020-0632 : Disable Windows Search Indexing

4 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

@Dibya could you please be more descriptive what we, XP users, shall do with the list you posted? :)

I know what he means, but I can't post the DLLs here. I'll send you a PM, we can't say that here...

Edited by FranceBB

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 11:14 AM, Mcinwwl said:

No, unfortunately.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 1:40 PM, FranceBB said:

True, but it's worth asking anyway. I mean, what do we have to lose except for our spare time?

Besides, he lives in Canada, perhaps Canadians will be polite xD

Of course I will, eh? :cool:

The question now becomes where at Microsoft is the request/clarification for KB4507704 best posed?  I would prefer to try contacting them by email as I don't want to spend a great deal of time on hold only to be told...

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 12:42 PM, Mcinwwl said:

No but I mailed them and they do not support it.

Yes, I too got the same response although Mitja Kolsek from Acros Security did also tell me,

"We have so far only issued two micropatches for XP (BlueKeep, EsteemAudit) - both of which were critical remotely exploitable 0days when we patched them (i.e., without an official patch by Microsoft), but Microsoft subsequently decided to provide official updates for both even though XP and 2003 were long out of support.

We have no experience with Windows Embedded but would be willing to test 0patch on it if there was sufficient interest for that.

Under current priorities, we're only issuing XP micropatches when a critical 0day comes out that affects them, but if it made financial sense for us, we'd be willing to backport more patches to these old systems."

As someone who is always trying to make XP/POSReady as secure as possible after it's April 9, 2019 EOS date, I'd certainly be willing to utilize 0patch to help accomplish this.  Perhaps others who feel the same way could let 0patch know by contacting them at support@0patch.com

Edited by XPHomeSP3
fixed typos

6 hours ago, XPHomeSP3 said:

The question now becomes where at Microsoft is the request/clarification for KB4507704 best posed?

Do you need update for time zones only or anything else? I can save registry entry for time zones from Windows 7 and share it…

10 hours ago, XPHomeSP3 said:

As someone who is always trying to make XP/POSReady as secure as possible after it's April 9, 2019 EOS date, I'd certainly be willing to utilize 0patch to help accomplish this.  Perhaps others who feel the same way could let 0patch know by contacting them at support@0patch.com

Yep, I contacted them and I've got more or less the same reply:

Hi Frank and colleagues,

Thanks for your interest in 0patch!

0patch Agent works on "fully updated" Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 but we've never tested it on any Windows Embedded version. If it runs on Intel/AMD, it would likely work and we'll be happy to test it if there was significant interest on your end.

Note however, that the only Windows versions we're currently providing regular security patches for are Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, which have gone out of support in January. We have so far only issued two micropatches for XP (BlueKeep, EsteemAudit) and three for Server 2003 (BlueKeep, EsteemAudit, CVE-2017-7269) - all of which were critical remotely exploitable 0days when we patched them (i.e., without an official patch by Microsoft), but Microsoft subsequently decided to provide official updates for all three even though XP and 2003 were long out of support.

So under current priorities, we're only issuing XP/2003 micropatches when a critical 0day comes out that affects them, but if it made financial sense for us, we'd be willing to backport more patches to these old systems.

The way 0patch works is it corrects code of running processes in-memory, i.e., without making any changes to executable modules' files. This makes it possible to apply patches without having to even relaunch processes, much less restart the computer. There's lots of information about how 0patch works on our support site: https://0patch.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Our micropatches aren't issued on a monthly basis but continually, as we create them. Of course you can decide to apply them on your own schedule.

Anyway, it seems that, although they don't provide regular XP updates like Microsoft does, if something big comes out and XP is affected, they'll patch it, so I'm kinda interested.

On 4/22/2020 at 3:49 PM, Usher said:

Do you need update for time zones only or anything else? I can save registry entry for time zones from Windows 7 and share it…

While I sincerely appreciate your kind offer, I really don't need the update for anything.  I just want it because it is something that I (and others here, if they wish) could apply to my/their system to make one component more up to date. 

It aggravates me to no end that Microsoft has publically available documentation for this update, with explicit instructions on how to obtain it, but it does not seem to be available anywhere.

I really believe that someone must have it archived somewhere.  Perhaps I haven't knocked on the right door yet to ask.  :wacko:

Edited by XPHomeSP3
corrected link

15 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Yep, I contacted them and I've got more or less the same reply:

Anyway, it seems that, although they don't provide regular XP updates like Microsoft does, if something big comes out and XP is affected, they'll patch it, so I'm kinda interested.

Yes, me too.  I'm very intrigued by this product and am interested to see what it can do.

I have a fully updated non-POSReady 2009 XP system, so I may install 0patch on it just to see what it picks up.  Since the micropatches 0patch issued for XP and Server 2003 have since been patched by Microsoft, I'm guessing the only micropatches I'll have applied are for the following things:

• Protection from critical 0days in other Windows products, for example these 0days in Equation Editor, 0day in Microsoft Word,
  • Protection from critical 0days in 3rd-party software products such as Adobe Reader, 7-Zip, Foxit Reader, WinRAR,... see https://0patch.com/patches.html and https://blog.0patch.com for more examples.
  • Protection for 3rd-party products that are out of support but you must use them for legacy reasons, e.g., old Java runtime versions.

Now, does anyone want to take the plunge and try it out with POSReady 2009?