POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

21 hours ago, erpdude8 said:

it could be just a glitch with the MS update catalog server

It's a pretty persistent glitch, I've been seeing this for more than a week now. And yes, on wired ethernet, not even wifi. In some cases, repeating the page load does not produce the links even after 10 or more reloads.

At least the suggestion to use the googlebot UA does seem to work nicely for the catalog site. Too bad it has the opposite effect for thehotfixshare.net and some other sites - it will cause a not-so-nice forbidden error there.

FWIW, my normal UA would be Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.2

Edit - I have also been seeing (intermittentently) incomplete data from the catalog. Sometimes a search comes up with nothing found, other times it will find some items but have others missing - such as listing only 14 items when there are actually 17 to be returned. This is both for search results, and also for the replacement info when one of these search items is clicked. Sometimes all replacement items are missing entirely, other times only a subset is returned when I already know certain items should be there but are not.

Edited by w2k4eva
typo

Newer Firefox versions have more advanced JavaScript engine and JS code for that engine won't run in older Gecko based browsers. If you change User-Agent you should always delete the browser cache to reload proper code.

Edited by Usher

• 2 weeks later...

Quite by accident, I stumbled upon a MS support page regarding KB4507704 which deals with DST changes in Windows for Brazil and Morocco:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4507704/

This update was released on July 15, 2019 and was last revised on November 7, 2019.

It clearly states on the support page this update applies to Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 and it even goes so far as to give detailed instructions on how to obtain it for this platform:

Specifically,

Windows Embedded POSReady 2009

Method 1: Windows Update

This update is provided as an Optional update on Windows Update. For more information about how to run Windows Update, see How to get an update through Windows Update.

Method 2: Windows Server Update Service

This update is now available for installation through WSUS.

Method 3: Microsoft Update Catalog

To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.

Note: You must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or a later version.

Prerequisites

To apply this update, you must have Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 installed, or Service Pack 2 for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 installed.

There are no prerequisites to install this update on Windows 10, Windows Server 2016, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012, or Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 (emphasis mine).

While I realize this is not a required update by any means, I have nevertheless not been offered it via Windows Update, I don't use WSUS and it is not listed in the MS update catalog for this platform.

Did anyone happen to obtain KB4507704 and archive it? Surely it has to be out there somewhere but, despite my best search efforts, I cannot seem to locate it anywhere.

There's something extremely gratifying to me about applying official MS updates on an OS after its EOS support date and if I can do it with this one, I'm absolutely going to.

Any insight, assistance and/or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by XPHomeSP3
typos and grammar; added prerequisites info

I think it's probably one of those very few updates that Microsoft has accidentally released for public but took it down alas, but unlike the previous KB4501226 time zone update, alas nobody has archived it. (hope that I'm wrong)

Edited by IntMD

4 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

Or just an documentation glitch.

Will need actual person with access to actual POSReady 2009 system to tell us if this update ever appeared or not...

Or XP with Premium Updates, considering that Microsoft is still issuing updates to companies running XP that are paying $15'000 per year. I still hope that someone will share them, but people are afraid to be identified in some way by Microsoft and potentially lose their job along with a big fat fine... :( (I can't blame them, though).

Edited by FranceBB

31 minutes ago, FranceBB said:

Or XP with Premium Updates, considering that Microsoft is still issuing updates to companies running XP that are paying $15'000 per year. I still hope that someone will share them, but people are afraid to be identified in some way by Microsoft and potentially lose their job along with a big fat fine... :( (I can't blame them, though).

One way to find out is if someone who somehow has access to those updates can check whether there are some sort of confidential + trackable data embedded within those premium updates. 

Edited by IntMD

I made patch for CVE2019-1441,
CVE-2019-0889, CVE-2019-0890, CVE-2019-0891, CVE-2019-0893, CVE-2019-0894, CVE-2019-0895, CVE-2019-0896, CVE-2019-0897, CVE-2019-0898, CVE-2019-0899, CVE-2019-0900, CVE-2019-0901, CVE-2019-0902

If anyone interested I will post it in ryanvm forum

Anyone one can list out all cve of gdiplus after April 2019?

Edit:

Now testing fix for CVE-2020-0779,CVE-2020-0814, CVE-2020-0842, CVE-2020-0843,CVE-2020-0847

Edited by Dibya

In terms of just thinking out loud..

Would it be absolutely necessary for someone with an actual POSReady 2009 system to tell us if this update ever appeared or not? For all intents and purposes, doesn't the POSReady 2009 registry hack allow our Windows XP systems to be "seen" as an actual POSReady 2009 system by MS and wouldn't the update then present itself accordingly?

If this were indeed just a documentation glitch, why would the support page have last been modified on November 7, 2019 and the reference and detailed instructions for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 still be left in? If anything, I would think it would have been taken out if this were the case.

Is there a link anywhere to the reference about MS still providing premium updates or a custom support plan for Windows XP? It truly would be awesome if someone could somehow release these to us XP diehards.

Please be assured I am in no way trying to start any type of argument or have any type of disagreement about any of this. If anything, I'm extremely glad there is some interest in my accidental discovery by those here and I remain hopeful that through a concerted effort we will eventually be able to track down and successfully install KB4507704. I know I am sincerely looking forward to doing so and, who knows, maybe we will be able to unearth some other XP/Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 post-EOS gems as well.

29 minutes ago, XPHomeSP3 said:

Is there a link anywhere to the reference about MS still providing premium updates or a custom support plan for Windows XP? It truly would be awesome if someone could somehow release these to us XP diehards.

I never remember whether it's Premium Support or Premier Support.

https://partner.microsoft.com/en-US/support/microsoft-services-premier-support - http://originw2.cms.ms.akadns.net/en-us/microsoftservices/support.aspx

Anyway, you can google and see the details on the Microsoft Support page for businesses, however it doesn't specifically say anything about extending the support of a dead OS, it says that they'll provide critical security updates. If you're looking for businesses running XP with such a contract, there are plenty of articles on the web like the UK Court IT Systems, the US Navy and Military Systems and so on... Articles never disclose how much money they spent, but they generally say things like 

As recently as March 2019, the ministry was paying hundreds of thousands of pounds to support more than 2,000 Windows XP users as a crown court IT system and thousands of laptops used by the UK's Ministry of Justice run on Microsoft's Windows XP operating system. 

And also

Reports show that a business with 10'000 Windows XP PCs was asked an effective cost of $200 per PC per year, which makes $2 million per year for continued support from Microsoft. Microsoft later decided to set a yearly support ceiling cost of $250,000 total, although the $200 per PC price remains in effect up to that ceiling.

Which would be extremely good for us as I would be willing to pay 200 bucks per year, BUT that option is offered ON TOP of the $15'000 per year paid by companies to Microsoft for the Premier Support.

Other websites instead said that the 200 bucks per PC was only at the very beginning and that it has later been increased by Microsoft

the price increased from $200 to $400 for another year of support, although actual prices can differ per company.

Things are different for Windows Server 2003:

Extended Support to Windows Server 2003 costs $600 per server

So, again, I don't know, but you can actually ring Microsoft and ask for Premier Support and for solutions to extend XP Support or Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 support, listen to what they have to say and report that here. Unfortunately, I tried to call them several times in the past, but each time they diverted me to the commercial customer support 'cause I was a private consumer and not a business. Of course you can try to pretend to be a business, but that's not gonna work as Microsoft is a big company and they will definitely ask you for the details of your business which are mandatory and some other registration stuff. Beside, they'll ask for your Microsoft Business account so that they can see your registered computers and other stuff and we don't have any of that since we're just private citizens and business owners, so there's no way we can get that info. As to the customer support, if you ask the commercial customer support about these kind of stuff, they'll tell you that you can't extend the support of your Windows XP Home Edition and that what you're talking about is handled by the Business Support and not by them and they'll tell you to contact them as they have no clue, so...

Thanks for the info, FranceBB.

It sounds like you have certainly done your homework on this and it, unfortunately, seems as though the end result for us regular end users is a foregone conclusion.

The runaround on this question from MS also sounds like an episode of The X-Files.

Well, the truth is out there (just like KB4507704 definitely and possibly others), so we just need a Mulder and Scully-like investigation to uncover them for us.

We'll focus on KB4507704 first and see where the investigation leads us from there.

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 2:46 AM, Dibya said:

I made patch for CVE2019-1441,
CVE-2019-0889, CVE-2019-0890, CVE-2019-0891, CVE-2019-0893, CVE-2019-0894, CVE-2019-0895, CVE-2019-0896, CVE-2019-0897, CVE-2019-0898, CVE-2019-0899, CVE-2019-0900, CVE-2019-0901, CVE-2019-0902

If anyone interested I will post it in ryanvm forum

Anyone one can list out all cve of gdiplus after April 2019?

Edit:

Now testing fix for CVE-2020-0779,CVE-2020-0814, CVE-2020-0842, CVE-2020-0843,CVE-2020-0847

Thank you for doing this, Dibya.

In terms of patching CVE's post-EOS, does anyone have any experience using 0patch FREE (or Professional) with either XP or POSReady 2009?  I'd be interested to hear about your experiences and what, if any, patches were applied to either configuration.

I mailed to them, and they replied they:

we don't have a test machine with XP + POSReady, and I don't know how we could actually set one up.

If they ever release anything for XP, we would first need to verify how it works together with POSReady patches.