POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Hey - was driving by and thought I'd stop in for a cup of coffee (actually to use the bathroom).

Probably some of the preceding posts answer my question, but I'm in the bathroom reading a C. J. Cherryh sci-fi novel, so please let me know which recent surprise updates deal with https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4500705/customer-guidance-for-cve-2019-0708  and  https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/bluekeep-is-almost-here-get-your-xp-win7-systems-patched, and are they just there in Windows Update Catalog and do you like them?

Besides that, did I miss anything else the last few weeks?  All you Europeans enjoying the weather?

Thanks.

Edited by glnz

On 7/27/2019 at 3:10 AM, glnz said:

Thanks, Mathwiz!  And don't you and I feel lucky that, unlike poor Europe, we have air conditioning!

It's too damn hot over here... I do have a fan, which is spinning at the maximum speed, but it becomes pretty much useless when outside there's 40°C and inside my house there's 37°C.

You know, turning the fan on is like getting hot air from a giant hair dryer. :(

I even had to downclock and downvolt my CPU a bit otherwise it was going to overheat for very simple task.

Thanks God I do have air conditioning at work.

Edited by FranceBB

On 7/27/2019 at 4:10 AM, glnz said:

unlike poor Europe, we have air conditioning!

... I suppose politics isn't allowed here in MSFN (yes, according to rule 2.b:

Topics devoted to political or religious debate, unless technology related, are prohibited.

), so I'll only skim the surface of things, limiting myself to the "technology/physics" of the issue:

1. The USA are a vastly industrialized country, its huge industry sector is responsible for a considerable percentage of global warming/climate change emissions.

2. The current US president, to my knowledge, has withdrawn the US from any global CO2-emissions control treaties, while "poor" Europe still has to honour them.

3. Global warming inducing emissions in one continent contribute to the whole planet getting warmer, as the "butterfly effect" applies here.

4. Using an air-conditioning device consumes major amounts of electricity, to produce this, more emissions are disseminated in power plants, especially if they are of the thermo-electric type (combustion of fossil fuels is used to generate steam, to drive generators).

5. Using an air conditioning device lowers the temperature in the inside, but excess heat is transferred to the outside, resulting in a change to the micro-climate of the area/town/city you live in (surrounding air gets even hotter).

FWIW, I am poor (literally, i.e. I have only a reduced/unstable income), a European, but I do have AC in my apartment; for the record, highs up to 38°C are forecast for today, July 28th, where I reside, plus another spell of an African heatwave is about to strike, starting next Wednesday...

This was not meant as an inflammatory post :no:, I know what @glnz posted had a joking flavour into it :P; still, I posted what I did as food for thought...

Edited by VistaLover

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, win32 said:

Yes, though the site is a load of popover junk

I agree with you, nowadays sites want to eat a lot more resources with their html5 junk 

• 1 month later...

Hel-LOW-oh?  Anyone home?

Askwoody has this post, which predicts embedded support for Win 7 for another two years.
https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/september-patch-tuesday-rolling-out/#post-1949416

Is the "usual gang" of tech wizards here working on a POS-type hack?

Look, Dave-H, I know you love Win 98, but lemme have some support here, man.

8 hours ago, glnz said:

Hel-LOW-oh?  Anyone home?

Askwoody has this post, which predicts embedded support for Win 7 for another two years.
https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/september-patch-tuesday-rolling-out/#post-1949416

Is the "usual gang" of tech wizards here working on a POS-type hack?

I don't think there will be any POSReady 7 registry trick like with Vista where you need to manually to install updates from the Update Catalog.

(I think the post should belong to the Windows 7 category, glnz ;))

Yeah, it was a Win 7 post, but I suspect @glnz posted it here because the folks who came up with the POSReady hack for XP are here. There's some activity in the Win 7 forum but it's not nearly as active as this one. I don't even check it much, even though I use Win 7!

AFAIK there isn't a "Vista Embedded;" Vista users are manually installing Server 2008 patches. But I don't think anyone has yet discovered a way to fool WU into thinking a Win 7 system is Win 7 Embedded, so 7 users may be stuck doing the same thing.

And in the meantime, over here nobody shared the premium updates for XP worth 15k bucks per year since the end of support, but I'm confident that if a big enough security vulnerability will come out, Microsoft itself will publicly release the patch (or someone else will).

7 hours ago, glnz said:

Hel-LOW-oh? 

Hello... it's me...

I was wondering if after all these months you'll like to read...

And go over... everything...

They say time is supposed to heal ya

But I ain't done much healing...

Hello, can you help me?

I'm on Microsoft Updates where we all use to be

When we were supported... by everything...

I've forgotten how it fell

When installation was just a click...

There's such a difference... between now and then 

And thousands of BATs...

Hello from the other side

I must have tried a thousand times...

To go to Microsoft and try to update 

And make my computer... once again safe...

Hello from the other side

At least I can say that I've tried...

To tell Microsoft 'I'm begging you... from the bottom of my heart'

But it doesn't matter as it doesn't tear you apart

Anymore...

(Adele feat FranceBB - Unsupported OS).

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any experience using WSUS Offline Update application with POSReady enabled XP? Apparently WSUS ESR versions have support for XP and Vista. The last v9.2.6 ESR was released on 2019-Nov-08. I'm trying to find a way to automatically pull all the updates for the clean installation of Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 and store them on the hard drive. Microsoft's Windows Updates were still working when I last checked on Friday (2019-Nov-16).

WSUS Offline Update can be found here:

http://download.wsusoffline.net

XP support of ESR versions was mentioned in the third post from 2019-July-12 in the following thread:

"On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019".

Edited by Lex24