POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

There has to be more updates not working well with SSE CPUs, I get Explorer.exe error related to gdiplus.dll and the computer isn't useable. :/

Nevermind, even though I unchecked every update carefully they installed. Removed, everything back to normal. 

Edited by Flintheart

I have the problem synonymous, because I also have no old computer where the processor does not support SSE2. Had at the following place ever an update list for Windows XP sp3 (no SSE2) published, where in July 2018 ends, and without the update KB4034775 (official support end for older processors without SSE2 from August 2018). With a friend who owns an old AMD Athlon I was able to install these updates and could not find any problems. Maybe this will help by newer Updates, that have problems on processor without SSE2, finding it easier.

:)

On 6/26/2019 at 5:11 PM, PPeti66x said:

medowe: This means that non-english versions of ntdll.dll may generate wrong error messages on error because some messages are shifted by 1 in the resource part. Language packs are not affected.

users using single-language localized versions may need to fix this by yourself:

- download KB4493563 and extract its contents
- open SP3QFE\ntdll.dll with resource hacker
- navigate to first item inside "Message Table" folder
- copy all the text to an editor that has block-copy function (for example, EmEditor)
- block copy right column text starting from 0x8020000B line to 0xC0150012 line
- block paste right column text starting from 0xC0000001 line to 0xC0150013 line
- copy right column text from 0xC020000C line to 0x8020000B line
- navigate to first item inside "Version Info" folder
- replace all 7682 with 7683
- save it

then you will need a way to replace the ntdll.dll that your system is using, either using windows pe or hacking update.exe for that.

for the hacking update.exe method, you can grab blackwingcat's update.exe from "WindowsLU" package and replace update\update.exe so you can edit update_SP3QFE.inf freely. and how I change my INF:

- rename KB4493563.CAT to KB4493563-v2.CAT
- open update_SP3QFE.inf with text editor
- adding "-v2" after KB****** to both SP_SHORT_TITLE and SP_TITLE

then run update.exe and let updater do the job for you.

Edited by roytam1

13 hours ago, DosFreak said:

For testing you can try masking the feature bit with Vmware. This was helpfully when troubleshooting mingw compiled programs that had issues running on certains cpus. I haven't tested with Windows updates yet.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=55706&start=20#p767756

en/disabling flags in CPUID doesn't act the same as real CPU, since it will still process those instructions even that flag is disabled.

Edited by roytam1

On 6/29/2019 at 5:16 PM, Flintheart said:

There has to be more updates not working well with SSE CPUs, I get Explorer.exe error related to gdiplus.dll and the computer isn't useable. :/

Nevermind, even though I unchecked every update carefully they installed. Removed, everything back to normal. 

Explorer.exe-crashing, no more chance accessing data within subfolders is most probably sabotage by MS. didnt happen earlier some years ago.
happened first time some months ago on a second HDD(SSE-PC) on second non-bootable partition. but only dont know what i did before.
new crashing(all the time) when trying to dig into subfolders started clearly when i installed PosREady 2009-workaround. This tells me its related.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A WARNING MUST BE SET HERE NOT TO USE POSREADY 2009 ANYMORE!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pity i have no newer backup.
Maybe i will try older systempartition-recovery when i backed-up full sata-drive. direct-cloning with trueimage 2014 is not possible. 200 to 1000 gb. one must backup first as file. also used clonezilla. one of them was enlarging the partitions the other copied 1:1. will leave them alone for now.

15 hours ago, roytam1 said:

- download KB4493563 and extract its contents

- open SP3QFE\ntdll.dll with resource hacker

There is NO ntdll.dll file in KB4493563 downloaded from Microsoft Update Catalog. Update installer contains only ole2.dll and patches for other files, which are processed locally as described in the installer script. If you want to get ready-to-install files, you should do as follows:

- Use Windows XP POSReady/Embedded.

- Download KB4493563 and run it using "/x" option to extract the update sfx exe files. It'll ask you for a folder name to extract its contents to. Go to the folder you told the installer to extract to. Now you can open SP3QFE\ntdll.dll with resource hacker and do other steps…

Notice: English version of ntdll.dll is also buggy.  It should contain error message "The error occurred in the transport layer. The client could not connect to the server." for error number 0x8020000B, but it contains message copied from error number 0xC020000C (the last on the list) instead.

Edited by dencorso
I've simplified the instructions, including the /x... sorry to meddle, though.

9 hours ago, 3dreal said:

Explorer.exe-crashing, no more chance accessing data within subfolders is most probably sabotage by MS. didnt happen earlier some years ago.
happened first time some months ago on a second HDD(SSE-PC) on second non-bootable partition. but only dont know what i did before.
new crashing(all the time) when trying to dig into subfolders started clearly when i installed PosREady 2009-workaround. This tells me its related.
A WARNING MUST BE SET HERE NOT TO USE POSREADY 2009 ANYMORE!

Pity i have no newer backup.
Maybe i will try older systempartition-recovery when i backed-up full sata-drive. direct-cloning with trueimage 2014 is not possible. 200 to 1000 gb. one must backup first as file. also used clonezilla. one of them was enlarging the partitions the other copied 1:1. will leave them alone for now.

you should always having a XPE/WinPE LiveCD/USB for such issue so you can recover from PE system.

Edited by roytam1

6 hours ago, Usher said:

There is NO ntdll.dll file in KB4493563 downloaded from Microsoft Update Catalog. Update installer contains only ole2.dll and patches for other files

Did you end up with a corrupt download? Or are you using a non-ENU version? I got this from the catalog on 18 Apr 2019 and it does indeed contain ntdll.dll version 5.1.2600.7682. I even re-downloaded it again a few minutes ago from the catalog and the file is identical to the April download.

I do agree though that the English version of ntdll.dll has the last error message duplicated and the other message missing as you describe.

On 6/20/2019 at 8:53 AM, medowe said:

I'm holding KB4494528, KB4493563, KB4501226 because of reported issues.  What should I do with them & how do I install them?

For KB4494528 do the regsvr thing like Ed_Sln and others have said.

I installed KB4493563 and do not see any problem, but I am using the US English version in case that matters.

KB4501226 is a time zone update (these are usually neither critical to have, nor troublesome if you do use it)  for Morocco and the Palestinian Authority. I installed it with no problems.

2 hours ago, w2k4eva said:

Did you end up with a corrupt download? Or are you using a non-ENU version?

Ad1. No.

Ad 2. It doesn't matter.

Read edited message, please:

8 hours ago, roytam1 said:

you should always having a XPE/WinPE LiveCD/USB for such issue so you can recover from PE system.

Recover what if there is no backup?

System is working only no access to subfolders of second partition(of 2 in total)- Bootpartition seems not affected.
Access to files should work with Knoppix Live-CD. not all of them are working.  But repair is not done.
I googled and tried a lot: No chance for a repair.

I found a suitable computer, and checked for updates requiring SSE2. Here is the list: KB4034775, KB4343674, KB4458000, KB4458006, KB4462987, KB4463573, KB4473077, KB4487085-v2, KB4487385, KB4489977, KB4490385, KB4493793, KB4493794, KB4493795, KB4493796, KB4493797, KB4494528, KB4495022.

Updates replaced by updates requiring SSE2: KB4087398, KB4093257, KB4463361.

CPU.PNG

20 hours ago, 3dreal said:

System is working only no access to subfolders of second partition(of 2 in total)- Bootpartition seems not affected.
Access to files should work with Knoppix Live-CD. not all of them are working.  But repair is not done.
I googled and tried a lot: No chance for a repair.

Maybe try to start a dedicated topic related to data restore - I'm not expert in that, but there are a few ones on the board, who might not be interested in POSReady patches, but in helping to recover the data - potentially a lot :)