POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Small side note to KB4494528, MS has in the updates for MSI 4.5, since the update KB2918614 from August 11, 2014, the installer deleted various entries in the installation file (update_SP3QFE.inf). These have led to the problem of not recognizing the existing MSI version and to the current problem of unregistered msi.dll. Even with my update rollup I have corrected this error in the updates for MSI 4.5.

The following entries are missing in the file update_SP3QFE.inf:

[Prerequisite]
    condition=CompositeOp,AndOp,MsiPrereq.Section

[ProcessesToRun]
    "%systemroot%\system32\spupdsvc.exe /install"

[ProcessesToRunBeforeUninstall]
    %systemroot%\system32\spupdsvc.exe /install
    "%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s /u %windir%\system32\msi.dll"

[ProcessesToRunAfterUninstallReboot.RebootNotRequired]
    "%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\msi.dll"

[ProcessesToRunAfterReboot.RebootNotRequired]
    "%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\msi.dll"

[Msidll.Present.Section]
    PresentOp=CheckFilever,system32.Files,msi.dll

[Msidll.AndOp.Section]
    GreatOrEqualOp=CheckFilever,system32.Files,msi.dll,">=",4.5.6001.22159
    LessOrEqualOp=CheckFilever,system32.Files,msi.dll,"<=",4.5.6002.24556

[MsiPrereq.Section]
    SingleOp=Msidll.Present.Section
    AndOp=Msidll.AndOp.Section
    Display_String="This fix only installs over MSI 4.5"

The file "spupdsvc.exe" is also missing into the update KB4494528.

:)

27 minutes ago, Thomas S. said:

I use the german version an had to fix the problem. 

Office 2010 updates won't run without fix (uninstall or register dll)

you're right....as I see, right now...
had to reregister the DLL's aswell....

Heinoganda - you are amazing! 

Out of curiosity, I searched, and I have 291 copies (really!) of update_SP3QFE.inf in my XP machine, from April 11, 2008 through February 11, 2018.  (I have not yet run Tuesday's updates.)  Obviously, each one is connected to a different Update.

Do you recommend that we add your lines to one of these update_SP3QFE.inf files?  Which one?  Do this before or after running Tuesday's updates?

Or not bother and simply register the three dll files as indicated by roytan1?

Apparently it's only MSI.DLL you need to re-register, but it won't do any harm to do the other two as well.
Personally I wouldn't bother changing the INF files, as this is the last lot of updates anyway.

@glnz

This adjustment of the file "update_SP3QFE.inf" in the update KB4494528 is of interest to users who want to fix this update in their update collection archive or whatever. If the update is already installed, a subsequent change brings nothing (before installing a modified KB4494528, the already installed update KB4494528 of MS would have to be uninstalled). Do not worry, important is that "regsvr32 MSI.DLL" was executed. As you should know in the meantime I create own update rollups or as with the oleaut32.dll problem that I could bridge with custom updates.

Edited by heinoganda

I was curious about that the update.microsoft did not work today as it did yesterday....
Was thinking about the reason are the foolish last updates....
Then I saw:

"Microsoft wants to avoid the next update chaos and occurs in Windows 10 on the brakes. There will be no Windows 10 April update, instead the Windows 10 May 2019 update is scheduled for the end of May. And forced updates are supposed to be history" and "After Microsoft Patchday: KB4493472, KB4493446 and other updates lame Windows."

Then I realized that I can't get currently any single Microsoft page with KB articles for updates.
Not even this one: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

Ok...seems like they have bigger problems

Edit: Seems a DNS Server Problem of Unitymedia, 1&1 in Germany....

5 hours ago, glnz said:

If heinoganda ever starts working on Windows 10, the world will become a better place.

If, instead, MS nuked Windows 10 with extreme prejudice and released 7 SP2, 8 SP1 and 8.1 SP1, the world would become a wonderful place.

The patch Tuesday is again for MS a grip in the toilet! Many virus scanners have problems since the update under Windows 7, 8.1, 10. Hope that under Windows XP these problems do not occur.

https://borncity.com/win/2019/04/11/april-2019-updates-freezes-windows-7-8-1-10-server/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsofts-april-2019-updates-are-causing-windows-to-freeze/

:dubbio:

@glnz

Then it's time to unpack my old Commodore Amiga again!

:whistle:

Edited by heinoganda

This might help users running old hardware with SSE support only, non-SSE2 or greater.

There was scattered information on this thread and elsewhere regarding update breakage, which was experienced on an old system with a fresh POSReady2009 install (contains SP3) updated to this last patch Tuesday, >200 updates from 2009-2019.

Fresh installs can selectively exclude culprit updates or just mass update and use Add/Remove Programs to clean up the carnage. No Virtual Machine here, lots of painstaking reboots to confirm the breakages reported.

The setup is simple, no .NET Framework, no additional MS software (eg. no Microsoft Office, don't use Access), no scanner or printer connected. No extensive testing, just a test install to ensure the following works: boot, shutdown, Windows Explorer, Control Panel items, sound, USB, internet, IE8, WMP11, etc.

All updates were hoarded for future installs, should Microsoft choose to shut down updates. These items were flagged 'SSE2', as other users reported possible issues with these updates on non-SSE2 capable hardware. Items appended 'INSTALLED' were installed anyway, as they did not appear to cause breakage on the limited test system.

201708_SSE2_KB4034775_NoObviousProblemMayAffectJetDatabase_MS_Access2000_INSTALLED
201808_SSE2_KB4343674_BREAKS_WMP_IE8
201809_SSE2_KB4458000_BREAKS_WMP_IE8
201809_SSE2_KB4458006_NoObviousProblem_INSTALLED
201810_SSE2_KB4462987_BREAKS_WMP_IE8
201810_SSE2_KB4463573_NoObviousProblem_INSTALLED
201812_SSE2_KB4473077_BREAKS_WMP_IE8
201902_SSE2_KB4486463_NoObviousProblem_INSTALLED
201902_SSE2_KB4486464_NoObviousProblem_INSTALLED
201902_SSE2_KB4487085-v2_BREAKS_WMP_IE8
201903_SSE2_KB4490385_BREAKS_WMP_IE8
201904_SSE2_KB4495022_BREAKS_WMP_IE8

Additional KBs were noted as problematic when researching issues on non-SSE2 capable systems, listed below. Fresh installs may not see all these updates, which may have been replaced by later KBs:

3163249 (.NET Framework related)

Anyone using this older hardware may simply choose not to install updates, especially if the system is running well and/or is only used offline. Alternatively, avoid installing updates from August 2018 onward, when these SSE2 issues first appeared.

Darn it MS for breaking hardware support during the 'supported' lifecycle of an OS.

Today feels like the morning of the last day of summer camp.  Packing the trunk, looking for the arts and crafts thing left in the barn, is that my sweatshirt or yours?

But before we say our awkward goodbyes, I have a maybe last question.  It's off-topic because in a week we're headed back to school - this question is like that school summer reading list I never started:

FIRST STEP COMPLETED - I've Exported all my Outlook Express emails (which were in separate .dbx files) into Outlook 2003 on my XP machine (which put all the emails into one very big .pst file).  I've always been POP3 (set to leave messages on the Server), not IMAP.  Right now, Outlook 2003 on my XP is working beautifully - it has all my old and new emails in the same folder structure - I haven't turned on my old Outlook Express in a week.
NEXT STEP TO DO - When I set up Outlook in Office 365 Home on my Win 7 machine (which seems to be Outlook 16), if I connect to my email accounts using the same POP3 (set to leave messages on the Server), it should also be easy (?) to Import my big Outlook 2003 .pst file from the XP machine into Outlook 16 in Office 365 Home on my Win 7 and have ALL my emails since the Eisenhower administration in Outlook 16 in Office 365 Home on my Win 7. as well as new emails coming in.  Hopefully with the same email folder structure.  Thus say numerous articles which I am going to re-read today.

Now, here's my question -- if in Outlook 16 in Office 365 Home on my Win 7, I connect to my email accounts using IMAP for the first time ever, not POP3, can I also import my big .pst file from Outlook 2003 on my XP and have it all work together well?  Will I lose my old folder structure? 
I've learned from various articles that setting up my email accounts using IMAP in Outlook 16 in Office 365 Home on my Win 7 will create an .ost file in Outlook 16 in Office 365 Home on my Win 7, not a .pst file.  But then I intend to import the existing .pst file from Outlook 2003 on my XP.  What happens then?  Will Outlook 16 in Office 365 Home on my Win 7 be able to handle BOTH a new .ost file (for new emails) and an imported .pst file (for the historic emails)?

What do you think?  Happy to take links to better articles.

Where's my Swiss Army knife?

Edited by glnz

Well, IMAP was intended for folks who access their emails from multiple PCs, or from both an email client and a Web browser, so the idea is to leave all emails on the server, and only download the headers onto the PC. When you click on an email the contents of that email are also downloaded from the mail server, but it's more like a browser cache: the "real" email is always left on the server unless/until you delete it for good.

So, if you connect to your server using IMAP, you'll only see the emails that are on the server. In all likelihood, you long ago configured OE to delete emails from the server after downloading them, so all you'll see is new emails.

Now it is possible to set up both IMAP and POP3 access on the same server: just create two accounts, one POP3 and one IMAP, and specify the same mail server and same sign-on credentials for both accounts. You can then upload all your old emails to the mail server (assuming your email account gives you enough storage for them all) by copying all the emails from the POP3 inbox (the one you migrated) to the IMAP inbox. That may take quite a while, though, and you have to be careful not to sync your POP3 account during this process, or it will re-download all the emails you just uploaded and you'll end up with duplicates of every email!

Also, with POP3, it's common to create multiple email folders on your PC to organize your emails. With IMAP, if you create multiple folders, they are created on the mail server itself. If you then access that account with POP3, Outlook (or whatever email client) will only download the Inbox folder, not any other folders you've set up.

So, you may be better off just sticking with POP3.