POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

I'm almost sad to report, all 14 installed without incident.  sniff sniff...I'm going to miss the excitement of troubleshooting these things with you guys.  

Well, I thought we'd seen the last of this, but I just hit the svchost.exe at 99% bug again.

Guess I'll have to download & install the IE8 cumulative update manually, just like the old days ;)

Edit: Sure enough, that fixed it; as soon as I installed it and rebooted, I got offered the other 13, plus a couple of Office 2010 updates.

@Dave-H, have you taken a look at today's Office 2010 updates yet?

Edited by Mathwiz

4 hours ago, SD73 said:

[...] all 14 installed without incident.

Same here! :yes:

2 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

[...] I just hit the svchost.exe at 99% bug again.

Guess I'll have to download & install the IE8 cumulative update manually, just like the old days ;)

Edit: Sure enough, that fixed it; as soon as I installed it and rebooted, I got offered the other 13, plus a couple of Office 2010 updates.

Glad you got it fixed fast! :yes: Nothing similar happened here (3770K i7 on Z68 mobo), though. Are your XP on a multicore processor?

A visit to the Microsoft Update Catalog and searching for "POSReady" yields 319 results. Excluding two listed updates that are for POSReady 7 and allowing for three of the remaining 317 updates having multiple files linked on their download popup page results in a folder with 321 update packages. Obviously some of these are probably supserseded. Is this a "complete" archive of all the updates, or have some of them been "disappeared" over time?

Even at the very last, I remain an update coward,  My fantasy TV series would be "Game of Hiding on the Throne in the Bathroom".

Can heino-bersa-den check ED_Sln's post above?  Is MS throwing us a final curve ball?  What means "spoils Windows Installer"?  And since there's nothing left to install anyway .,.

Thanks for EVERYTHING !!!!

5 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

Update KB4494528 spoils Windows Installer.

Yes, as I discovered when I tried to uninstall the latest faulty Office 2010 update!
I'm seeing two error messages in the Windows logs.
In the Windows Application log from MsiInstaller "Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x80080005".
In the Windows System log from DCOM "The server {000C101C-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout."
I certainly hope this gets fixed if it's hosed the whole Windows Installer system!
:(

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

6 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

Update KB4494528 spoils Windows Installer.

They can't just get away with this and stop the support; they must fix this! I'm gonna report it to Microsoft, please do the same.

Since M$ screwed up KB4494528, I decided to check what it's supposed to do:

This security update resolves an issue that occurs after you install security update 4486464. After you install the update, you receive an "Error 1309" message when you install or uninstall certain types of .msi files.

OK, haven't run in to that one, but now I'm wondering... what did KB4486464 do?

An information disclosure vulnerability exists when Windows incorrectly discloses file information.
To learn more about the vulnerability, see CVE-2019-0636.

Geez - can't M$ even manage to put all the relevant info into one Web page? CVE-2019-0636 is:

An information vulnerability exists when Windows improperly discloses file information. Successful exploitation of the vulnerability could allow the attacker to read the contents of files on disk.

To exploit the vulnerability, an attacker would have to log onto an affected system and run a specially crafted application.

Is the "specially crafted application" called notepad.exe, by any chance? M$ rates it as "important" but that "vulnerability" doesn't sound too serious to me....

KB4486464 was part of February's Patch Tuesday. Perhaps we should remove that one too?

The end of the line for XP yesterday and POSReady 2009 support. Microsoft dumped a bunch of last minute patches and since I hadn't bothered to update since last December there were a total of 34 to install. So far running no problem and the good part was many of those patches were able to be ported to W2k thanks to blackwingcat.

No doubt this will get the internet XP haters really blowing their tops at any mention of someone still using XP but with basilisk UXP but there's some life left. :--).