POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Google Chrome version 49.0.2623.112 m.

Today I was unable to log in to Netflix - the "Login" button is dead.
I fixed the problem by uninstalling KB4490501.

It's weird because KB4490501 seems to be about print spooling (files: localspl.dll, win32spl.dll, winspool.drv).

A zero-day vulnerability that resides in the win32k.sys allows attackers to exploit 64-bit operating systems in the range from Windows 8 to Windows 10.

Why post it here? I doubt you could find something more off-topic even if trying twice as hard. :crazy:

21 hours ago, Destro said:

kb4486463 doesn't install for me.  I mean MU keeps re-offering me the updated after I installed it.

You are using a single core processor. In that case, the only solution available for you is to hide KB4486463. But it's all right! It's offered again and again due to a badly conceived installation check. The posts quoted below tell more about it.

On 2/17/2019 at 1:23 PM, dencorso said:
On 2/17/2019 at 11:50 AM, glnz said:

Only in XP Mode on my Win 7 machine, the update KB4486463 doesn't take.  After running it 32 times, it continues to appear in the yellow shield on the next reboot.

Not important because this is only in the XP Mode, not my real machine, but annoying, you know?

The default in XP mode is to have just one core in the virtual CPU. As such it behaves as a sigle core CPU and KB4486463 installs but does not substitute %windir%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. It's OK! Hide it, and forget about it.

On 2/17/2019 at 11:50 AM, glnz said:

Only in XP Mode on my Win 7 machine, the update KB4486463 doesn't take.  After running it 32 times, it continues to appear in the yellow shield on the next reboot.

Not important because this is only in the XP Mode, not my real machine, but annoying, you know?

On 2/17/2019 at 5:11 PM, heinoganda said:

The kernel files (ntkrnlmp.exe, ntkrnlpa.exe, ntkrpamp.exe, ntoskrnl.exe) are kept in the folder %windir%\Driver Cache\i386. After the update with KB4486463, the file ntkrnlmp.exe, in the folder %windir%\Driver Cache\i386, should be the version 5.1.2600.7649. The previous kernel update KB4463103 updated the files ntkrnlmp.exe, ntkrnlpa.exe, ntkrpamp.exe, ntoskrnl.exe and ntfs.sys to version 5.1.2600.7581. For KB4486463, however, only ntkrnlmp.exe was updated to version 5.1.2600.7649, which means that this file will only be used on multi-processor systems (multiple cores or processors) (under %windir%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe as version 5.1. 2600.7649). Therefore, the file version for Uni processors (single core) of the file %windir%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 5.1.2600.7581. Since AU / WU / MU queries the file version of the file %windir%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe and does not change this with the update KB4486463 for Uni-processor systems, this update will appear again and again even after a successful installation. With a virtual machine, you usually have the option of selecting the number of cores or processors (depending on what the real processor has on cores or how many processors exist).

Since their VM works under Windows 7 with one core (one core / Uni processor), then the update KB4486463 also does not update the version of ntoskrnl.exe under %windir%\system32 (it remains with the version 5.1.2600.7581).

:)

Hey, everybody, how's it going?

Dave-H and I are throwing a party for all of us on our final ever Patch Tuesday next month, at Dave's place.

Dave - I can't find your address - please let everybody know.