POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

KB4487085-v2 works and the problems I had are gone.

The only thing is that they probably implemented some kind of work-around and dynamically compiled C++ programmes that use UIs are slightly slower on a benchmark. (It's in the range of ms, so I don't think people would notice it in real life usage, anyway).

They fixed it rather quickly...

Anyway, as long as it works, it's fine.

Only in XP Mode on my Win 7 machine, the update KB4486463 doesn't take.  After running it 32 times, it continues to appear in the yellow shield on the next reboot.

Not important because this is only in the XP Mode, not my real machine, but annoying, you know?

1 hour ago, glnz said:

Only in XP Mode on my Win 7 machine, the update KB4486463 doesn't take.  After running it 32 times, it continues to appear in the yellow shield on the next reboot.

Not important because this is only in the XP Mode, not my real machine, but annoying, you know?

The default in XP mode is to have just one core in the virtual CPU. As such it behaves as a sigle core CPU and KB4486463 installs but does not substitute %windir%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. It's OK! Hide it, and forget about it.

On 2/14/2019 at 12:49 PM, Mathwiz said:

I was also forced to hide KB4486463, but only because MU kept offering it even though it doesn't apply to my single-core VM. AFAIK the update itself is fine although you may need to install it manually with /overwriteoem.

5 hours ago, glnz said:

The kernel files (ntkrnlmp.exe, ntkrnlpa.exe, ntkrpamp.exe, ntoskrnl.exe) are kept in the folder %windir%\Driver Cache\i386. After the update with KB4486463, the file ntkrnlmp.exe, in the folder %windir%\Driver Cache\i386, should be the version 5.1.2600.7649. The previous kernel update KB4463103 updated the files ntkrnlmp.exe, ntkrnlpa.exe, ntkrpamp.exe, ntoskrnl.exe and ntfs.sys to version 5.1.2600.7581. For KB4486463, however, only ntkrnlmp.exe was updated to version 5.1.2600.7649, which means that this file will only be used on multi-processor systems (multiple cores or processors) (under %windir%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe as version 5.1. 2600.7649). Therefore, the file version for Uni processors (single core) of the file %windir%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 5.1.2600.7581. Since AU / WU / MU queries the file version of the file %windir%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe and does not change this with the update KB4486463 for Uni-processor systems, this update will appear again and again even after a successful installation. With a virtual machine, you usually have the option of selecting the number of cores or processors (depending on what the real processor has on cores or how many processors exist).

Since their VM works under Windows 7 with one core (one core / Uni processor), then the update KB4486463 also does not update the version of ntoskrnl.exe under %windir%\system32 (it remains with the version 5.1.2600.7581).

:)

Well after installing xp on the new HDD, (the difference from the old one is like night and day) the ThinkPad is back in service. All the POSReady updates that were offered to me today were installed with no issues. :)

Edited by i430VX

• 2 weeks later...

Hey patching tribe!

I'm making my regular backup, just to be prepared for any trouble with updates now. So just asking once again, to be triple sure - are Ferbruary patches ok to be installed now? KB4487085-v2 looks safe?

10 minutes ago, Mcinwwl said:

Hey patching tribe!

I'm making my regular backup, just to be prepared for any trouble with updates now. So just asking once again, to be triple sure - are Ferbruary patches ok to be installed now? KB4487085-v2 looks safe?

v2 did the trick for me.  I had no issues with the Office updates either;  however, I'm using the 2003 version.

1 hour ago, wyxchari said:

Do you know if you could share premium updates for Windows XP from someone who pays after April 2019?

No, not legally, at the very least. Then again, they may surface somewhere (as it did happen with jre6 restricted updates for some time).
In any case, however, no support for that may be provided here, on the open forums, as you know.

2 hours ago, glnz said:

Mcinwwl - I agree with SD73.

+1

2 hours ago, glnz said:

Only two more updates left, right folks?

Yes. And... starting on May the 14th:              Ragnarök!!!  :ph34r:

Get ready your Velostat caps, already!   :angel

14 hours ago, dencorso said:

In any case, however, no support for that may be provided here, on the open forums, as you know.

Except it will be a case of, you know, few registry edits ;)

Mcinwwl - I doubt that MS will make it easy for tourists to use someone else's paid updates for XP POS (if MS is even going to provide any in the first place).

I wonder whether MS let the POS hack work so far to see what would happen to us - this forum might have been a Petri dish all along.

And even if some unknown registry hack would work after April, those of us who are not heinoganda need this board to avoid the traps along the way, such as last month's bad KB4487085.

I humbly beseech dencorso, bersaglio, heinoganda and other savants here to lead us into 7 POS in 2020 - that would be very helpful to yours truly!

12 hours ago, glnz said:

I humbly beseech dencorso, bersaglio, heinoganda and other savants here to lead us into 7 POS in 2020 - that would be very helpful to yours truly!

While I'm already also a Win 7 SP1 user, and sometimes even provide it support, my main, day-to-day OS is XP SP3, and I'll cling to it until it becomes nearly impossible to use (I've used 98SE from late 1999 to about 2014, so ca. 14 years as main day-to-day OS,  and I hope to use XP SP3 like that for even longer, but my 1st XP install was from late 2007, so I'm not even 12 years on it, yet). I doubt I'll transition fully to 7 SP1 much before 2021 !!! :w00t: