POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

15 hours ago, SD73 said:

We're treading in largely uncharted waters, Jack.  We're using POS updates with plain Jane XP boxes...not for the faint of heart for sure.  I'm actually pretty surprised we've gotten as far as we have with as few issues we've experienced.

1 hour ago, i430VX said:

Dont most of these issues we’ve had affect POSready as well? From what i remember running it, they did.

Correct, @i430VX.  The problems that have experienced should affect POSReady and Windows Embedded Standard branded versions of Windows XP.  The problem is one of quality control and, in my opinion, company management.

The problems with updates are often not limited to Windows XP and troubles with updates may be seen with other Microsoft operating systems and software.  There does not appear to be proper quality control anymore.  I do not believe that Bill Gates would have tolerated the level of quality releases that are being provided now.  The current Microsoft CEO, Satya Nadella, appears less concerned about the quality of the product and attempts to have profitability via other means or considerations.  I believe that this had been well discussed earlier in this thread, but was unfortunately lost after what was reported to be a server crash.

19 hours ago, i430VX said:

Well I installed all of em and it bricked my laptop. It hangs at "Windows is starting up" and BSOD's after a few minutes because the logon service quit.

UPDATE: Same thing in safe mode. :(

15 hours ago, i430VX said:

I even tried replacing updated files with the original versions. Didn't help.

You are probably experiencing the affects of applying KB4487085.  You may have system services that do tolerate what KB4487085 breaks very well and resulted in Blue Screens.  If problems persists after truly removing KB4487085, an affected service may be damaged or other Windows component may be damaged.  This is, unfortunately, something that many times happens when blue screens are experienced.

To recover from the issue, try disabling system services that are unnecessary to load and try booting the machine again.  I would also recommend running CHKDSK to check for a file system error.  These things would have to be done after booting a different operating system instance such as Windows Recovery Console.

21 hours ago, dencorso said:

did KB4486463 install correctly for you? If so, you should have:
%windir%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe v. 5.1.2600.7649 (orig. ntkrnlmp.exe)
and
%windir%\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe v. 5.1.2600.7581 (orig. ntkrpamp.exe)
In case your machine uses a multicore processor, of course.

I'm afraid I'm having problems with KB4486463. Ntkrnlpa.exe is as v. 5.1.2600.7581, but so is ntoskrnl.exe.

My XP is on a VM with a single processor core assigned to it, so those version numbers may be correct for single-core; I don't know for sure. But MU keeps offering me the update no matter how often I install, even if I install the update manually with the /overwriteoem switch.

4 hours ago, SD73 said:

Something I forgot to ask the group yesterday.  When I went to the MU website to check for updates I got a security messages that prevented me from proceeding.  This is even after I manually installed the IE8 update first and ran the Roots Certificate batch file.  I ended up downloading the updates from another computer and loading them that way.  Were any of you able to use the MU through IE8?

I had to add the following lines to config.ini in ProxHTTPSProxyMII:

[SSL No-Verify]
www.update.microsoft.com
download.windowsupdate.com

Download.windowsupdate.com is using a security certificate that doesn't specify download.windowsupdate.com as a valid domain for the certificate :rolleyes:

49 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

I'm afraid I'm having problems with KB4486463. Ntkrnlpa.exe is as v. 5.1.2600.7581, but so is ntoskrnl.exe.

My XP is on a VM with a single processor core assigned to it, so those version numbers may be correct for single-core; I don't know for sure. But MU keeps offering me the update no matter how often I install, even if I install the update manually with the /overwriteoem switch.

They are correct for single-core. You should hide the update if offered again.

2 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

I had to add the following lines to config.ini in ProxHTTPSProxyMII:

[SSL No-Verify]
www.update.microsoft.com
download.windowsupdate.com

Download.windowsupdate.com is using a security certificate that doesn't specify download.windowsupdate.com as a valid domain for the certificate :rolleyes:

*update.microsoft.com* is already there in config.ini in @heinoganda's latest version of HTTPSProxy.
download.windowsupdate.com isn't there, but I guess perhaps it doesn't need to be.
That may be why it all still worked fine for me on Microsoft Update.
:dubbio:

32 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

download.windowsupdate.com isn't there, but I guess perhaps it doesn't need to be.

Only needed for the update catalog, not for the regular WU or MU site. I should've made that clear....

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

This entry is not needed, at least for my HTTPSProxy and / or I have additional entries in the config.ini. That's why you do not have to worry.

@Mathwiz

For [SSL Pass-Thru], try the entrys "*update.microsoft.com*", "c.microsoft.com*", "*one.microsoft.com*" and remove "www.update.microsoft.com" from [SSL No-Verify].

:yes:

@ All

Good News

The faulty update KB4487085 is no longer available for AU / WU / MU.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

15 hours ago, SD73 said:

Something I forgot to ask the group yesterday.  When I went to the MU website to check for updates I got a security messages that prevented me from proceeding.  This is even after I manually installed the IE8 update first and ran the Roots Certificate batch file.  I ended up downloading the updates from another computer and loading them that way.  Were any of you able to use the MU through IE8?

Same here, but only on one PC (strange).

On the notebook it is ok, and both are with the same configuration of TLS and HTTPSProxy, only "www.update.microsoft.com" is under "SSL Pass-Thru".

If I play with the configuration of PCs HTTPSProxy, I get the old error "update certificate / PC wrong time" (old case, do I remembering right?)

And from the past: every problem with this MU is gone after a few days. Do MS something on their servers to prevent to much connections?

Edited by Thomas S.

It @SD73 was about the error message 0x80072F8A by IE8 at WU/MU.

Possible problem solving:

Under Control Panel, go to Internet Options > Advanced, scroll to Security for the different encryption types SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, and TLS 1.2. Make a tick in an unused encryption mode like SSL 3.0 and take over, then remove the tick again with encryption type SSL 3.0 and take over again. For encryption type, TLS 1.0 to TLS 1.2 should still be activated. 

Edited by heinoganda

KB4487085 was taken down because its no longer listed in my hidden update list

Blackwingcat made a thread about this crappy update.Even MS says that here are know issues with the update

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4487085/security-update-for-vulnerabilities-in-windows-xp-embedded

scroll down a little bit to see it

Yes, I just saw this morning that it had gone.
I'm glad they acknowledged the problem and took it down from Windows Update so quickly, but I'm surprised they're still offering it for download from the catalogue when it's obviously going to break a huge number of systems!
Obviously should have been tested rather more than it was.
I assume we'll see a fixed version soon.

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

40 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

it's obviously going to break a huge number of systems!

Yes, it broke mine.

I read the thread and I didn't want to update, but my computer was up and running and it updated automatically.

Something has gone terribly wrong as I somehow manged to boot (even though it took a HUGE amount of time) and:

1) Some programmes I always run are broken and fail to run

qkBwMTE.png

2) Microsoft Paint has suddenly lost the ability to save images as .jpg or .png and it just offers me .bpm.

3) Avast keeps trying to load some of its components, but they fail to load due to something wrong in the kernel and the antivirus thinks that something nasty like a threat is preventing it from starting them, therefore it keeps trying to run them and uses CPU cycles.

4) Getting information about the fan speed fails.

5) Python fails to run whatsoever.

6) Telgram fails to load.

7) CCleaner fails to load.

8) Debut fails to load the GDI+ as if it wasn't there.

9) The .NET Framework is f***ed up and it reports many errors on programmes that used to work, failing with calls like System.Drawings.SafeNativeMethods, System.Drawings.Font, System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip etc.

There might be more issues... but one thing is certain: Microsoft f***ed up this time.

Luckily Avisynth works, I can still make calculations using the Fourier Transform and Java works as well, but still, my system is pretty screwed up right now! -.-

Edited by FranceBB

18 minutes ago, FranceBB said:

1) Some programmes I always run are broken and fail to run

qkBwMTE.png

If you have already uninstalled KB4487085 and still have errors after your screenshot, you should also try uninstalling KB4486463.

Edited by heinoganda