POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

I confirm that I have errors with KB4487085. After uninstalling everything returns to normal. The errors occur when Windows starts up and they say "The application has been terminated due to a CTRL+C".

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4487085/security-update-for-vulnerabilities-in-windows-xp-embedded

Edited by wyxchari

Well I installed all of em and it bricked my laptop. It hangs at "Windows is starting up" and BSOD's after a few minutes because the logon service quit.

UPDATE: Same thing in safe mode. :(

Edited by i430VX

With KB4487085 (gdiplus.dll, mf3216.dll), the file gdiplus.dll (version 5.2.6002.24558 vistasp2_ldr_escrow.190111-1700) causes a lot of problems. A test only to install the file mf3216.dll led to no apparent problems.

Let's hope Microsoft released a working update for KB4487085.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

20 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I do hope so, great job Microsoft!
On top of that, Office 2010 is bricked again as well!
:angry:

Ouch.  Sorry it doesn't do you much good Dave, but I'm happy to report Office 2003 seems to have survived the updates.

On 2/12/2019 at 3:49 PM, dencorso said:

I saw the crappy message below, too, and DaemonToolsLite 4.45 (important) and two other uninportant start-up programs crashed in flames! :angry:
"The procedure entry point sprinttf_s could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll."
@Ascii2's posted before I had found out which update was to blame. My thanks to all of you who posted about it. It seems KB4487085 is the latest crappy update MS came out with... 

@Ascii2: did KB4486463 install correctly for you? If so, you should have:
%windir%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe v. 5.1.2600.7649 (orig. ntkrnlmp.exe)
and
%windir%\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe v. 5.1.2600.7581 (orig. ntkrpamp.exe)
In case your machine uses a multicore processor, of course.

@dencorso, The KB4486463 update does appear to have been correctly installed.  The system "dllcache" and "Driver Cache\i386" versions of "ntkrnlmp.exe" were both updated to version 5.1.2600.7649 and without having to do anything special.

Although I use a multicore processor, I use the ACPI Uniprocessor PC HAL, and am therefore not actually using the KB4486463 kernel.  My "ntoskrnl.exe" in use is version 5.1.2600.7581.

Edited by Ascii2

I even tried replacing updated files with the original versions. Didn't help.

I was planning to buy a new hard drive for the laptop, I suppose now is the time because I'll have to reinstall anyway.

That's why one should do full backups before adding updates.
Once I realized the system was foobar, I redeployed the jan 31 image, and lost nothing.
I had to reinstall the latest Flash and Basilisk, though. Had I made a new backup imediately before updating, even that would've been unnecessary.

1 minute ago, dencorso said:

Once I realized the system was foobar, I redeployed the jan 31 image, and lost nothing.
I had to reinstall the latest Flash and Basilisk, though. Had I made a new backup imediately before updating, even that would've been unnecessary.

Certainly a good idea, but it shouldn't be necessary. Windows updates should not completely hose an operating system.

But regardless I can pull the data off the drive, no loss
~95% of my data was already backed up

Edited by i430VX

1 minute ago, i430VX said:

Certainly a good idea, but it shouldn't be necessary. Windows updates should not completely hose an operating system.

We're treading in largely uncharted waters, Jack.  We're using POS updates with plain Jane XP boxes...not for the faint of heart for sure.  I'm actually pretty surprised we've gotten as far as we have with as few issues we've experienced.  That's largely due to the talented crew we have here.  Have you tried a Last Known Good boot?  I'm betting it's your video driver conflicting with KB4487085.  If that doesn't work I'd try pulling your video card and let it boot without one.  If you have a spare card I'd try that next, otherwise I'd reinstall your original and hope for the best.

5 hours ago, Ascii2 said:

I had troubles after applying KB4487085.  After installing KB4487085, many programs would not run correctly and I would sometimes receive errors like the following:

"The procedure entry point sprinttf_s could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll."
"Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll"

The second error message appear to be for the nVidia driver software.

I removed KB4487085 and things seemed corrected.

MS incorrectly linked new GDIPLUS.DLL to newer version of MSVCRT.DLL which is XP-incompatible.

3 minutes ago, SD73 said:

We're treading in largely uncharted waters, Jack.

Unchartered but well traveled, for years now.  Today was an unprecedented disaster courtesy of Microsoft.

12 minutes ago, dencorso said:

I've never had to do such a thing in my life...until today.

Humiliating.

40 minutes ago, i430VX said:

I even tried replacing updated files with the original versions. Didn't help.

I was planning to buy a new hard drive for the laptop, I suppose now is the time because I'll have to reinstall anyway. 

One possibility is to uninstall an update with ERD Commander 5.0 (bootable medium). If this is not possible, use another bootable medium (eg Kaspersky Notfall CD) in the registry under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\Installations] to see the entries "x86_Microsoft.Windows.GdiPlus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.0.6002.24558_x-ww_24ed72db" and " x86_policy.1.0.Microsoft.Windows.GdiPlus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.0.6002.24558_x-ww_32b5093b" delete (make sure that the entries may differ by name something that is the GdiPlus entries with 1.0.6002.24558). Under the folder "%windir%\WinSxS" "\x86_Microsoft.Windows.GdiPlus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.0.6002.24558_x-ww_24ed72db" delete (here also names may differ slightly, pay attention to 1.0.6002.24558). Restart and uninstall KB4487085 in Safe Mode. I wish you success!

:)

Edited by heinoganda