POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

39 minutes ago, glnz said:

Happy Holidays to all again ... and now I have a free day to ask this question:

My XP machine seems to disconnect from home network connection and then reconnect a few times a day (and night).  I do not see this while I am using the machine, but I get messages in the tray that now I am connected to the internet.  (I leave my machine on all the time and reboot maybe once every ten days.)  I don't see the same issue on my Win 7 machine (same network).

Maybe this started when I got FIOS 1Gbps and Verizon's Quantum G1100 router in April.  (Is it too fast for my old XP+duct tape machine?)

How can I trace the issue?  Is there a small-footprint monitoring program that might help?

Thanks.

If you dont see it while using the PC, perhaps windows had temporarily put the network adapter into sleep mode, or did something like renew your IP address.

@glnz

My recommendation:
Try to install behind the router a network switch (buffered 5 or 8 ports, as needed), where all devices are connected with LAN. This can solve many problems and the internal speed between the LAN devices is faster. In the case of a router, the LAN connections are controlled via the software and processor as well as the data transfer between the LAN connections. Have already had a case where an outdoor camera via LAN directly to a router did not work.

:)

heinoganda - "buffered 5 or 8 ports" means managed?  Or still unmanaged, which of course is cheaper?

At some point I shall buy an inexpensive unmanaged switch because we need a few more wired connections.  But isn't that just an extension of the router, like adding network sockets to the router?  I thought switches were NOT sub-networks. 

(I bought my first and only switch six months ago for $17 to fix an issue with one device in my wife's small office.  Her ObiHai device for GoogleVoice telephone stopped working behind her old small router, and with the new switch connected to all of the landlord's network, the router and now the ObiHai, I was able to move the ObiHai directly into the landlord's network, and it started working again.  That's when I learned that a switch is not a router and does not create a sub-network.  I describe it as adding ethernet sockets directly to whatever network it's connected to, like an extension cord with five sockets.)

Thanks again.

Edited by glnz

1 hour ago, i430VX said:

If you dont see it while using the PC, perhaps windows had temporarily put the network adapter into sleep mode, or did something like renew your IP address.

Jack Finley - Maybe you nailed it.  I just rechecked properties for my NIC, and, in Power Management, two "Reduce link speed" settings were ON.  I just UNchecked them.

I always UNcheck the "Reduce link speed" boxes - I want my PC's NIC going full speed all the time.  Maybe IProSetMonitor updated the driver and these settings went into a "reduce speed" default?

ALSO, in Event Viewer - System, I have groupings of
"Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0023AE71AAF4.  The following error occurred: The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server."

Thoughts?

Anyway, thanks for suggestion.  We'll see,

Zoom zoom!

Edited by glnz

no reason to use DHCP to automatically assign a private IP to a desktop in your own house that never moves.  Id just manually assign it an IP, subnet,gateway, dns adresses and never have problems again.

Question,

has anyone had a wordpad erorr message after an update or know how to fix it:

WORDPAD.EXE entry point not found:

The procedure entry point CoRegisterActivationFilter could not be located  in dynamic link library ole 32.dll?

@WinXP_OK

Latest updates for POSReady regarding the message you get when starting Wordpad. You can verify that the version numbers of the files match those of the following updates (if necessary, manually install these updates again).

KB4339291 (wordpad.exe, xpsp2res.dll  Version 5.1.2600.7512)

KB4466388 (kernel32.dll, ntdll.dll, ole32.dll, oleaut32.dll, rpcss.dll  Version 5.1.2600.7594)

KB4467689 (rpcrt4.dll  Version 5.1.2600.7594) (xpsp4res.dll  Version 5.1.2600.7589)

3 hours ago, someguy25 said:

i got this update today

Security update KB3139398 (usbstor.sys / Windows USB mass storage class driver) was released on 03/07/2016.

Apparently, no Windows USB mass storage device had been connected to your PC in the meantime, because this has happened meanwhile the driver "usbstor.sys" was installed and this reason was found at WU / MU update KB3139398.

Edited by heinoganda

About my post above at  >here<  , the settings for my NIC would not change in Device Manager - the changes would not stick.

So I changed the "Reduce power" settings in the Registry at this key :  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}\0001]

However, I'm still getting the same Warnings in Event Viewer.

Odd, but not fatal - I'm connected as soon as I use the machine.

Edited by glnz

2 hours ago, heinoganda said:

Apparently, no Windows USB mass storage device had been connected to your PC

Yes,i never had any usb devices until today since i bough a usb drive for the first time :)

• 2 weeks later...

Direct links for January 2019 updates: WES09/POSReady 2009 update (English only), IE8 cumulative security update (English), .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and .NET Framework 4.0 updates (international), Office 2003 SP3 security update

http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/secu/2018/12/windowsxp-kb4481275-x86-embedded-enu_5160cf8226e525f266f39e7279ce39e6176cece9.exe

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/secu/2019/01/ie8-windowsxp-kb4480965-x86-embedded-enu_469b647b191dac942734a9a64e05bc27321e79a5.exe

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/csa/csa/secu/2019/01/NDP20SP2-KB4480087-x86_010990466ABCF053D7164DFFE1BC0812B5A86B96.exe
http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/secu/2019/01/NDP40-KB4480077-x86_05E61336A238A90796BCDA78D13F0982075F2A2E.exe

http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/5/5/055B2A2C-2102-40D1-B0C7-A0BF29DEA79B/office2003-KB4461635-FullFile-ENU.exe

P.S. Windows Embedded Standard 2009 (WES09) support has ended. WES registry keys should be removed. There should be only POSReady key left from now on.

2 hours ago, Bersaglio said:

P.S. Windows Embedded Standard 2009 (WES09) support has ended. WES registry keys should be removed. There should be only POSReady key left from now on.

The walls are closing in - the room is getting smaller and smaller - soon we'll be squashed down to a singularity.

THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING OPERATING SYSTEM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI57rfCqWFw

Edited by glnz