POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Hey, SD73 - could you give me the complete instructions for running it with /OVERWRITEOEM ?

Do i go into cmd, use cd to go to my download folder, and type in the whole long [filename].exe followed by /OVERWRITEOEM ?

If I never did /OVERWRITEOEM before and this would be the first time, should I go back first and re-do some of my others that way?

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, glnz said:

Hey, SD73 - could you give me the complete instructions for running it with /OVERWRITEOEM ?

Do i go into cmd, use cd to go to my download folder, and type in the whole long [filename].exe followed by /OVERWRITEOEM ?

If I never did /OVERWRITEOEM before and this would be the first time, should I go back first and re-do some of my others that way?

Thanks.

Yup, you've basically got it.  As an admin run CMD and from the directory you've downloaded the file to, and after the filename use the switch you've typed.  There isn't anything else you need to do before hand.  However, full disclosure I don't know if on my PC things would have installed okay or not without the switch.  I've been using it out-of-hand because I haven't had a problem any of the times I've used it, and it has helped me solve some repeating kb install problems I've had in the past.

12 minutes ago, glnz said:

complete instructions for running it

The 1st and most improtant thing to do is to dress in a perfectly white three-piece suit with a sky-blue silk shirt and a white silk tie. Add to that a white Borsalino hat with a sky-blue ribbon (not black) and blue-lensed John Lennon style glasses. Then orient your computer so that, while seated in front of it, you're facing due north. And there you go!

4 minutes ago, dencorso said:

The 1st and most improtant thing to do is to dress in a perfectly white three-piece suit with a sky-blue silk shirt and a white silk tie. Add to that a white Borsalino hat with a sky-blue ribbon (not black) and blue-lensed John Lennon style glasses. Then orient your computer so that, while seated in front of it, you're facing due north. And there you go!

Haaaaaaa!

By the way, how long do you guys have with these updates?  January 2019?  What's next?

Just now, dencorso said:

April 2019. Fiery oblivion, they say. :(

Well not necessarily.  I have considered setting up my soon to be deprecated Vista machine as an audio editing workstation, and on it I would have installed Windows XP x64 Edition (which ran exceptionally on it).  I have all of the updates the @Thrawn hosted on his site, so no need to even connect to the Internet (or even install the Vista/7 x64 version of MSE.  And that OS only has extended updates until July 2015.

So I suppose you could keep running it.  Plus now that @Roytam1 has New Moon available, you have fairly modern browsing available.

7 minutes ago, heinoganda said:

That can not be meant seriously, the parameter "/OVERWRITEOEM" does not exist for updates from .NET Framework! :no:

nf4par.jpg

:)

And yet it worked.  Maybe it just ignored the switch?  It did not give me any error messages.

12 hours ago, SD73 said:

After manually installing the IE8 update, I got all the applicable above updates except the one for .Net 4.0.  That one I manually downloaded and ran with the /OVERWRITEOEM switch.

After manually installing the IE8 update, I ONLY install the updates that appear in WU. If any update does not appear, I NEVER install it manually because it may not be necessary. All updates are not for all computers. It depends on the programs you have installed. He has not offered to install .NET 4.0 and I will not install it manually.

Edited by wyxchari

3 hours ago, SD73 said:

After manually installing the IE8 update, I got all the applicable above updates except the one for .Net 4.0.  That one I manually downloaded and ran with the /OVERWRITEOEM switch.

Same for me, the .NET 2.0 update, but not the 4.0 one.
I'll try installing it manually.

I no longer have the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack installed as I updated my Windows XP Office installation to Office 2010, and there were five updates for that.
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Superfluous content removed.

On 8/14/2018 at 4:32 PM, dencorso said:

Naah, those apply to the southern hemisphere only, in the northern one you need a crossbow, an hourglass, three goats and a trumpet :w00t::

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1298650/quotes/qt1491333

Gibbs: So the Pearl. Any idea on how to get her out?

Jack Sparrow: We shall need a crossbow, an hourglass, three goats, one of us must learn to play the trumpet, whilst the other one goes like this.

Gibbs: I know a man with a goat.

Jack Sparrow: Good. I can go like this.

Just in case:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/262841/command-line-switches-for-windows-software-update-packages

/overwriteoem

Overwrite OEM files without prompting.Version 6.1.22.0 and later versions support the /overwriteoem switch.

For compatibility with older versions, the /o switch can be used.

jaclaz

15 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

Haaaaaaa!

By the way, how long do you guys have with these updates?  January 2019?  What's next?

Expired:

Normal support ended April 8th 2014.

Windows XP Embedded ended January 12, 2016.

Windows Embedded POS ended April 12, 2016.

To go:

Windows Embedded Standard 2009 will end on January 8th, 2019.

Windows Embedded POSReady will end on April 9th, 2019.

We are living on borrowed time...

16 hours ago, dencorso said:

Den - in honor of the victor in the Democratic primary for Vermont gubernatorial candidate, I'm going to wear a dress.