POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

XP Pro x64 is the same codebase as Server 2003... so it's a very different (although not totally different) animal.

Accordingly, my guess is adding the POSReady 2009 spoof to it ought probably totally hose the system.

Adding the registry entries given in the first post doesn't seem to have any effect on a fully updated XP x64 system in VirtualBox when checking the Microsoft Update website. No other testing has been performed with the entries however, so your results may vary, MrMaguire.

Edited by 5eraph

Adding the registry entries given in the first post doesn't seem to have any effect on a fully updated XP x64 system in VirtualBox when checking the Microsoft Update website. No other testing has been performed with the entries however, so your results may vary, MrMaguire.

My experience with XPx64 is limited, but I wonder if there is a wow6432Node section of the registry like in 7x64 OS? If there is, maybe that registry key would work there. 

I don't think they ever made 64 bit POS machines! :w00t: (and thus I believe that POSReady2009 only exists in 32 bit).

jaclaz

I do not know about POSReady 2009, but POSReady7 is available in 64bit.

I don't think they ever made 64 bit POS machines! :w00t: (and thus I believe that POSReady2009 only exists in 32 bit).

jaclaz

I do not know about POSReady 2009, but POSReady7 is available in 64bit.

You are right, :yes:.

Good to know :) still hopefully the perverted minds at MS did not get affected by the 64 bit illness before 2011. :unsure:

jaclaz

Okay, I've just tested the modification to the registry with Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs. It does work. But what's interesting about FLP is that it has its own registry flag for Windows Update. And I suspect that it was the first XP based OS that isn't specifically Windows XP to have it.

Fundamentals_Installed_Key_FLP.png

Notice that I have the POS Ready 2009 flag too. I'm not sure if the two conflict with each other. I have tried to change and remove the Fundamentals key and DWORD value, with no success. I checked the permissions and it looks like Administrators for the local machine do have full control. So, I dunno.

Also, I had no idea that FLP used a .WIM image for its installer. I wonder if the image can be extracted and added to a Windows Deployment Services server for fresh network installations?

POS Ready seems to have a different setup. I did check the installation media and I found a .WIM image called "Setup" being 151MB or so in size. I don't believe that is big enough to contain the whole OS, probably just the actual setup portion. The FLP .WIM image is around 350MB for comparison.

MrMaguire,

excellent news to hear that the change in the Windows registry worked. I appreciate the info!

Thanks! :w00t:

My experience with XPx64 is limited, but I wonder if there is a wow6432Node section of the registry like in 7x64 OS? If there is, maybe that registry key would work there.

There is no Wow6432Node registry subkey in the HKLM\SYSTEM key of XP x64 or Win7 x64. ;)

Edited by 5eraph

This is interesting. I did a search in the registry for "wow6432" and came up with a key in the following locations:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432node

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Wow6432node

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432node

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432node

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Classes\Wow6432node

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Classes\Wow6432node

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Classes\Wow6432node

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Classes\Wow6432node

And a couple of other places that (to me at least) don't really seem relevant.

But even if we can get Windows XP x64 to spoof as POS Ready 2009 in Windows Update, the likelihood that the updates will install is pretty slim. As a lot of you know, Windows XP 64bit does use a slightly different kernel to the original 32bit version. So, I dunno. Really what we wanna do is try to spoof Windows Server 2003 on XP x64. If there's a way to differentiate between the two in the registry, it might work out just as well.

We're just lucky that POS Ready 2009 is as poorly made as it was by the Microsoft engineers. :angel

I think the way that Microsoft managed to differentiate from Windows XP x64 and Server 2003 on Windows Update and with other software, is through the "Hardware Abstraction Layer" number.

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition: Version = "5.2.3790.4354 (srv03_sp2_qfe.080813-1204)"

Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition x86: Version = "5.2.3790.3959 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710)"

It must be the difference between those two numbers. 4354 and 3959. I'm pretty sure that this applies to Vista and 7 too with their Server counterparts. That is also probably the reason why some updates from XP or Vista such as RDC 7 refuse to install in the Server OS's.

Yep, but more than that it is (the WinFlp) AND IF I recall correctly :unsure: an "early" version of the .wim format not really compatible with anything else if not (maybe) with some Longhorn releases, JFYI:

http://reboot.pro/topic/3630-windows-flp/

You can always access the Registry Offline (booting from another instance of a NT OS or booting to a PE) to experiment with that key, you can either "import" the hive or use the Offline Registry tool to that effect:

http://reboot.pro/topic/11312-offline-registry/

jaclaz

Interesting threads there, thanks for linking them, Jaclaz.

On 6/1/2014 at 7:51 PM, egrabrych said:
On 5/30/2014 at 6:01 PM, dencorso said:

If not, then do it offline, from Win PE.

I have used this (PCRegedit):

PCRegedit.iso

It worked.

On 6/25/2014 at 8:39 PM, MrMaguire said:

As a lot of you know, Windows XP 64bit does use a slightly different kernel to the original 32bit version.

No. Those kernels are actually hugely different, in fact, except on the most general conception principles.

On 6/25/2014 at 8:39 PM, MrMaguire said:

Really what we wanna do is try to spoof Windows Server 2003 on XP x64.

Very true. It's the way to go for x64, all right! :yes:

re: that "HAL" difference for x64...

Didn't anyone notice the date differences?

SP2 (RTM) is the above listed Server2k3x64.

SP2 -plus- the following is what's listed for the XPx64 -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956841

The listed Server has apparently -not- the above fix applied.

To clear up the confusion - GDR vs QFE/LDR

http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/archive/2011/11/30/how-does-windows-choose-which-version-of-a-file-to-install.aspx

Apply that fix to Srv2k3x64 and watch it change. ;)

Bottom line is it's -possible- (probably) to "spoof" x64 Srvr->XP.

Here's an Evaluation of x64 Datacenter Edition (SP2) if anyone wants to find that "key difference" in the registry.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11276&751be11f-ede8-5a0c-058c-2ee190a24fa6=True

HTH

Bottom line is it's -possible- (probably) to "spoof" x64 Srvr->XP.

Sure. But since the Extended Support End Date for all types of Windows Server 2003 is 7/14/2015 (as opposed to far away 4/9/2019 for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009), those willing to find the way to make the spoof a reality should really hurry up, lest it ends up being useless.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up for those using IE8 (or IE7): there are a few files in the IE cumulative updates, which MS only includes in the IE6 updates, but can be used by all. This is known for a long time already, since MDGx released the unofficial X2183461 (now obsolete), way back when. What is not necessarily common knowledge is that such files continue to be constantly updated. This month's KB2962872-IE6 for x86 POSReady 2009 contains, not just the usual two, but in fact three files (an update to browsewm.dll appears for the 1st time) that can be used by all, namely:

browseui.dll v. 6.0.2900.6576   1,025,024 bytes browsewm.dll v. 6.0.2900.6576      78,336 bytes shdocvw.dll  v. 6.0.2900.6576   1,510,400 bytes 

Of course, at the moment, such files must be extracted and added by hand, because there's no stand-alone installer for them.