POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

@glnz

Check the size of the oleaut32.dll file in the %windir%\system32 folder, which should be 550 KB (563,200 bytes) in size and equal to the file version 5.1.2600.7494. This ensures that the mod. KB4134651-v2 is installed. Otherwise, I am of the same opinion as @Dave-H.

Excerpt from my PM to @glnz

Microsoft throws us many sticks in the way at the moment to spoil Windows XP. To be sure you do not get in the way of virus scanners such as Avast, after you download both updates (mod. KB4134651-v2 and KB4339291 from MS) and temporarily disconnect the Internet (LAN cable), you can disable Avast, including self-protection. After installation, Avast can be activated again, including self-protection, and the Internet can be reconnected. Now I can only hope that your problem is solved.

Did you do that?

:)

Edited by heinoganda

When I installed @heinoganda's KB4018556-v2, I was then prompted by MS Update to reinstall KB4018556 (which I had already installed).
I think this may have been an issue with the first version of Heinoganda's patch, which has now been corrected.
If you weren't prompted to install KB4018556 again after you installed KB4018556-v2, I wouldn't worry about it!

Heinoganda - my oleaut32.dll file matches your specs.

However, I did not shut off Avast when I installed KB4134651-v2 and KB4339291.  I can UNinstall those two, shut off Avast and REinstall those two.  However, how in tarnation do I shut off Avast?  I can "Disable shields", but is that enough?

Is it possible to install those two in Safe Mode (no Avast)?

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, glnz said:

However, I did not shut off Avast when I installed KB4134651-v2 and KB4339291.  I can UNinstall those two, shut off Avast and REinstall those two.  However, how in tarnation do I shut off Avast?  I can "Disable shields", but is that enough?

Is it possible to install those two in Safe Mode (no Avast)?

Thanks.

Hey Glnz, for what it's worth I gave up on MalwareBytes a year or so ago.  I can't remember exactly what the issue was, but I was having some conflicts on my box.  I still run MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit, but for virus protection I've moved to the free version of Ad-Aware Antivirus.  It's fast and effective and no issues to date.  I also shut both my Anti-Exploit and Ant-Virus down whenever I install updates.  

45 minutes ago, glnz said:

Then the installation of the mod. KB4134651-v2 worked. With Avast is only one measure so that it does not interfere with the installation of updates in between. It is not enough just "Disable shields", but also the self-protection should be disabled in this scenario! Uninstall Malwarebytes and reinstall Malwarebytes. For the File Protection module, set Avast the exception for Malwarebytes directories (C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes). For Malwarebytes, the exception for Avast's directories (C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software).

Make sure that components of both do not overlap, otherwise the chaos is perfect (the Avast component Behavior Protection and Malwarebytes Exploit Protection for example).

Edited by heinoganda

@glnz

Why have you got Malwarebytes and Avast installed?
I would never have more than one internet security/anti-virus program installed as they would be almost certain to conflict with each other at some point.
As I said before, if a Microsoft Update scan comes up with no updates needed, and everything in Windows Explorer works fine, you must be OK with them.

SD73, heinoganda and Dave-H -- thanks for your patience.  I've UNinstalled Malwarebytes and will just let that sit for now. 

If no more brain-freezes or BSODs the next few days, I'll leave well enough alone.

Heinoganda - FYI that my Avast has those three exclusions in File Shield from before.  I think SD and Dave-H are right that MB and Avast+XP just won't play nicely any more.  I hope that by now Avast is doing almost everything that MB is doing.

1 hour ago, glnz said:

SD73, heinoganda and Dave-H -- thanks for your patience.  I've UNinstalled Malwarebytes and will just let that sit for now. 

If no more brain-freezes or BSODs the next few days, I'll leave well enough alone.

Heinoganda - FYI that my Avast has those three exclusions in File Shield from before.  I think SD and Dave-H are right that MB and Avast+XP just won't play nicely any more.  I hope that by now Avast is doing almost everything that MB is doing.

I am curious as to what version of Malwarebytes you are using and how you are using it?    I am running Windows XP home SP3 with the POS hack (all updates installed) and also run Malwarebytes Anti Exploit version 1.12.1.90 and Malwarebytes Home (Free) addition version 2.2.1.1043.    Malwarebytes Home (Free) is only run as a manual scan of the system to check for malware.   It is not loaded into memory on bootup.   As "Dave" mentioned, you should not be running two anti virus (Malware) programs loaded into memory at once.   I suspect this is what you are doing.  If you want to continue scanning your system manually from time to time, download and install Malwarebytes Home (Free) version 2.2.1.1043 and scan your system manually for added assurance.   If you cannot find that version, please PM me and I will send you the installation package?  This version continues to update with the current malware DAT files

Edited by Dclem

Dclem - in fact I do have MB 2.2.1.1043 but my last MBAE is older than yours.  Can you PM me 1.12.1.90? 

I wish only to use MB the same way you do - manual scans of new junk.

Many thanks.

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 6:17 PM, dencorso said:

For users of LvLLord's patcher to avoid EventID 4226 only (if you don't know what I'm talking about, you probably don't need it):
MS has released yet a newer TCPIP.SYS v. 5.1.2600.7510 in KB4291391. The current LvLLord's Patcher 2.23d remains capable of changing the half-open tcp limit, a testimony of how a well written patcher resists passing time. :worship:

For those that are unfamiliar with LvlLord Intelligent TCPIP.SYS patcher /  EventID 4226 patch 2.23d, if interested, see for more information:
http://www.lvllord.de/?url=tools
http://www.lvllord.de/?url=downloads

I do wish that the patcher were updated to allow for better automation of the patch to allow the patcher to be used unattended.

Edited by Ascii2

12 hours ago, Dave-H said:

@FranceBB

If @pixelsearch2's system is XP, rather than POSReady, there's obviously no point in him reporting this to Microsoft.
What's needed is for as many people as possible with genuine licensed actual POSReady systems to report it, as MS are actually shipping a buggy update (three times!) to a still supported operating system!
:yes:

23 hours ago, FranceBB said:

@pixelsearch2... if you have a legit POSReady Licence, then please report it to Microsoft as well. They probably ignored my ticket, but if two people report the same issue on the exact same product, then maybe (just maybe) they'll fix it.

I license for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 or other version should not be needed to report a bug.  Further, Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 and Windows Embedded Standard 2009 were (and might still be) offered as trials for evaluation.

20 hours ago, pixelsearch2 said:

@FranceBB... my XP Pro is fully legit, bought it cash at the time.

Anyway, no need to report Microsoft about their poor update concerning KB4134651-v2, I cant believe they delivered updates that created problems in may, then same problems in july.

We are lucky heinoganda is here, with a fantastic new version of oleaut32.dll (5.1.2600.7494) when Microsoft's is 5.1.2600.7248 . All my issues have disappeared with heinoganda's version : the internet icon is visible again when connected, and the "find target" works again.

Only thing bad that could happen is Microsoft injects again the buggy oleaut32.dll in future updates (from august 2018 to april 2019, which should be the last update for POSready). But with you guys controlling everything here, there sure will be a solution in case it happens. 

Although heinoganda has kindly offered his modified patches, it is still preferable that Microsoft actually does its job properly and fixes its product.  If one can afford to take the time to report the issue, it may be beneficial to do so.

On 7/14/2018 at 1:17 AM, dencorso said:

For users of LvLLord's patcher to avoid EventID 4226 only (if you don't know what I'm talking about, you probably don't need it):
MS has released yet a newer TCPIP.SYS v. 5.1.2600.7510 in KB4291391. The current LvLLord's Patcher 2.23d remains capable of changing the half-open tcp limit, a testimony of how a well written patcher resists passing time. :worship:

It's been quoted a lot, but I gotta once more, just to thank dencorso for reminding us. :thumbup I used to watch for updates to TCPIP.SYS, but now I often miss it, busy times. :rolleyes:

Are these updates obsolete?

WINDOWSXP-KB4019276-X86-EMBEDDED-ENU_3822FC1692076429A7DC051B00213D5E1240CE3D.EXE
WINDOWSXP-KB4025398-X86-EMBEDDED-ENU_B411279FB7DCDE2856026476B626F2F12B518A9D.EXE
WINDOWSXP-KB4039111-X86-EMBEDDED-ENU_9B517BB7A6B7459D5C4C7159E4B8F247CF094FEB.EXE

Only WINDOWSXP-KB4039111-X86-EMBEDDED-ENU_9B517BB7A6B7459D5C4C7159E4B8F247CF094FEB.EXE is obsolete
kb4339291 (kernel32.dll, ntdll.dll, ole32.dll, rpcss.dll, wordpad.exe, xpsp2res.dll) - replaces kb4039111

Dclem and osan - thanks for the links.

I spent more time this weekend puttering around.  Bottom line is that MalwareBytes will NOT work any more on my PC, and I uninstalled it.  However, MBAE is working.

Go figure,