POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Will you be providing us with a workaround for this again?

I'm about to create a workaround, it takes a while. Will notify you about PM.

A modded update is now available on request! :)

This months were mostly uneventful.  After I manually installed the ie update, I got the 9 others.  After rebooting and checking the MU again it wanted to reinstall KB4230467. I manually downloaded that one and ran the /overwriteoem switch and that appears to have taken.

Edited by SD73

Looks like I'm OK except that now MalwareBytes is crashing again, and this is occurring on both my "production" XP machine (with duct tape) and my virtual XP machine (XP Mode in my Win 7 machine).

It could be the updates, or maybe an update to Avast conflicting with MalwareBytes, or who knows? 
(But in an effort to fix this revived MB problem, I set my CryptoPrevent to "None" and rebooted, but that did NOT help. so the cause is not CryptoPrevent.)

Edited by glnz

I assume you are using @heinoganda's modded KB4134651. If not, remove the original and install the modded one.
In case that is taken care of and the problem persists, I doubt it may be the any of the updates, but we'll know for sure only if you investigate further...

Try removing just  KB4339291, then reboot and see whether the problem persists. If so, reinstall it, reboot, remove one of the other KBs, reboot, test, and repeat until you test all combinations of just one missing update. Then report and we'll go from there. Obviously that's easier to do on the VM, so that's the way to go. Good luck!

Den - I can't even remember which shoes I'm wearing.  And MSFN can't remember anything between February and June.

Please humor me - how can I again get heinoganda's modded KB4134651?  (And was this the time I suggested asking Moe on the corner?)

@glnz

KB4134651-v2 was released this month, which causes the same issues as KB4134651 (oleaut32.dll). Therefore, uninstall KB4134651-v2 and not KB4134651! After that MalwareBytes should work again. Incidentally, a modified update is also available for KB4134651-v2, so send me a PM.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

3 hours ago, glnz said:

Den - I can't even remember which shoes I'm wearing.

You actually don't need to remember even you own name, provided you install Nirsoft's fantabulous WinUpdatesList aka wul. Do give it a try! It's a pity it's not as useful for Windows 7 (not worth installing, in fact), but for XP it's a real must!

Hello,
I'm an old MSFN lurker: thanks a lot to your excellent contributors (special mention to heinoganda, dencorso, Bersaglio), who helped me to keep my old but "embedded" XP on the road...
I just signed in, because it's right, and because a little problem comes today.

1) Concerning KB4074852 (February), I simply used wxchari's tip, replacing the oleaut32.dll file of KB4074852 (v.5.1.2600.7424, 534KB) by its old cousin (v.5.1.2600.7248  550KB), OK.
2) Of course, same problem after KB4134651 (May). But that time this oleaut32 "7248" had to be a bit modified (using Resource Hacker, and writing "5.1.2600.7475" as "FileVersion" and "ProductVersion" values). OK again.
3) Yesterday, after KB4134651-v2, same recipe, writing "5.1.2600.7494" instead of "5.1.2600.7248" of that good old oleaut32 (550ko) replacing the true v.5.1.2600.7494 (534ko).
My PC runs OK, ...  but this morning MS offers 4 updates: KB2802968 (11/2/2013 ?), KB3196718 (applied here on 09/11/2016), and again KB2804651 + its v2 version.- Well, it doesn't like my false oleaut32.dll

Maybe it will be wise to uninstall KB2804651-v2 first, and to run the heinoganda's modified version ?

Thanks again.

----------

Edit: Well, uninstalled KB4134651-v2
Now, WU offers only that update, KB4134651-v2 .- The three others vanished  ;-)
"Oleaut.dll" is v.5.1.7475 (550ko); but it's my false 7475, the 7248 I modified in May.- Apparently, no bug; XP seems OK.

Edited by Gargam

17 hours ago, heinoganda said:

@glnz

KB4134651-v2 was released this month, which causes the same issues as KB4134651 (oleaut32.dll). Therefore, uninstall KB4134651-v2 and not KB4134651! After that MalwareBytes should work again. Incidentally, a modified update is also available for KB4134651-v2, so send me a PM.

:)

I have to step forward and say that I, unlike many here on the forum, have not experienced any problems with either of the updates KB4134651 or KB 413651-V2 on my Windows XP home SP3 system.....????   Is there a possibility of a configuration clash with those experiencing problems with (Oleaut32.dll)?   I also run Malwarebytes and Mawarebytes anti exploit  (currently version 1.12.1.90) and have experienced no issues following the updates..........????????

The issues are not immediately obvious.
If you look at the properties of a shortcut and select the "Find Target" button, does it work?
It not working is one of the symptoms of the bug(s) in the recent versions of oleaut32.dll.
:dubbio:

All - Still a few glitches,  I uninstalled KB4134651-v2, leaving in place May's installation of KB4134651, which must have been heinoganda's hot rod version.

MalwareBytes works but I had to uninstall the latest version (which just would not cooperate) and re-install a version from late last year to get there.  To check any new exe file, I can right-click and run MB against it, but the MB icon is not appearing in the tray.  And it is constantly bugging me to upgrade to the new version.

Shortcuts - Properties - Find location is working.

However, just now, Firefox kept crashing on open.  And I've gotten a few BSODs, which I think has happened again because my remote reboot (using Teamviewer) just now has merely disconnected my XP machine from the universe without restarting it.

Wonderful old friends here, I hate to say it, but keeping my XP going is like nursing a decrepit dog.  Soon ...