POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

I don't think that they will release a version lower than 6734. The win32k.sys revision number was incremented by 21 in Server 2003 and should be the same with NT5.1 That's why I chose 6733.

Edited by harkaz

harkaz - you are completely correct.  Nothing but admiration for your knowledge and effort and the ability of all here to follow.

If anyone does all harkaz's steps today, could you make a video while you do it, even if fast and low-quality and lengthy and unedited, and post it on youtube?

@glnz, I think the complexity figures in if you’re in a non-English environment.  I just installed the patch (assuming I did it correctly), following these steps:

-Download the zip file from post 295 into a new folder on your desktop

-Extract the zip file there

-Open the “Update” folder and double-click “update.reg” then double-click “update.exe”

-Allow the reboot, and KB3013455 should be rectified

Edited by bluebolt

A visual explanation of the patch:

patch_GDI.png

@Atari800XL Creating your own catalog file for your patched, language-specific win32k.sys is required. Also, update the update.ver file with the new checksums. Otherwise, use the same zip structure. (Make sure it's language-specific)

The version to patch is: 5.1.2600.6712 (botched KB3013455 from Microsoft Update catalog)

Make sure you increment the version number at least by one (i.e. minimum 5.1.2600.6713)

ADDED (forgot): Also, patch the language-specific update.exe to accept modified update.inf file, and use language-specific installation files.

If I got it right, I could also directly patch my german win32k.sys v 5.1.2600.6712 (which I got after installing KB3013455) by the following steps:

1. Open the win32k.sys in a hex editor.

2. Go to Offset 55D1F and note its and the following 4 bytes values.

3. Go to Offset 55D2A and note its and the following 4 bytes values.

4. Replace the values at Offset 55D1F with the ones I noted under step 3.

5. Replace the values at Offset 55D2A with the ones I noted under step 2.

6. Save and close the hex editor.

7. Change the version number from 5.1.2600.6712 to minimum 5.1.2600.6713. I would prefer to do this with "ResHacker", see here: http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker There's a section called "Version info" which you can edit.

8. Replace the win32k.sys with the one I patched

Could someone confirm that this is the right way to do this? If yes, I will try this tomorrow, making an image before of course :-)

But I'm also wondering whether I will be running into problems when trying to modify/overwrite the system file win32k.sys - what can I do in the case that Windows XP kicks in and tries to restore the file automatically from the dllcache/i386 directory?

Edited by Mister Floppy

bluebolt - followed your directions on my very old XP test machine.  It's running, and the installed versions of win32k.sys match what harkaz has done.  Don't see a difference, but the machine does reboot and look OK.

By the way, on that old test machine, I first UNinstalled the KB3013455.  I did NOT leave its bad version of win32k.sys installed and did NOT install harkaz's over it.   Hope that's OK.

If all continues to go well, I'll eventually install on my important XP machine.

Thanks to you, harkaz and all here.

Don't see a difference...

I first UNinstalled the KB3013455.  I did NOT leave its bad version of win32k.sys installed and did NOT install harkaz's over it.

Do you mean that your font display quality did not improve?  Your fonts should display properly now, that’s the point of it.

I had KB3013455 installed when I ran harkaz’s patch.

bluebolt - before i ran Harkaz's patch, I UNinstalled KB3013455.  My test XP machine did not show a font problem, probably because it does not have any version of Office installed.

Mostly wanted to test that harkaz's version of win32k.sys would run OK on my test machine, and it does.

If everyone here is happy for some time, I'll install harkaz's patch on my important XP machine.  On that machine, I never installed KB3013455 in the first place.

Mister Floppy, I was thinking along the same lines. If I had the knowledge, I would try and make "officially" patched versions, but (like you?) I think I will have to resort to "brute force" (=manually edit the sys file).

I always use a Win8PESE USB and JFX's WinNTSetup for installs (including XP), so I could use the "RunAfter" feature of WinNTSetup to replace Win32k.sys after the apply stage (just before setup starts). But then again, wouldn't that cause checksum failures? Hmmm.... Not sure.

Maybe we should just be a bit more patient, at least we know now that there is a solution. Maybe OnePiece will do his magic as well, or any of the geniuses out there.

Harkaz, thanks again for all your work.

I had rolled back the "official" KB3013455, but I reinstalled it before applying the new version.

All fine and the fonts all look great again, although I did have to re-do the ClearType tuning.

Thanks so much from me too harkaz!

:thumbup

Mister Floppy, I was thinking along the same lines. If I had the knowledge, I would try and make "officially" patched versions, but (like you?) I think I will have to resort to "brute force" (=manually edit the sys file).

I always use a Win8PESE USB and JFX's WinNTSetup for installs (including XP), so I could use the "RunAfter" feature of WinNTSetup to replace Win32k.sys after the apply stage (just before setup starts). But then again, wouldn't that cause checksum failures? Hmmm.... Not sure.

Maybe we should just be a bit more patient, at least we know now that there is a solution. Maybe OnePiece will do his magic as well, or any of the geniuses out there.

Harkaz, thanks again for all your work.

I tried it today with replacing my win32k.sys file with the one I patched as described in my previous posting by using a BartPE CD, but after reboot unfortunately got a BSOD with the following message: "Stop: c000021a (Fatal System Error) The intial session process or system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of c000026c". So, I guess, I will have to use my patched german win32k.sys file and follow harkaz instructions:

@Atari800XL Creating your own catalog file for your patched, language-specific win32k.sys is required. Also, update the update.ver file with the new checksums. Otherwise, use the same zip structure. (Make sure it's language-specific)

The version to patch is: 5.1.2600.6712 (botched KB3013455 from Microsoft Update catalog)

Make sure you increment the version number at least by one (i.e. minimum 5.1.2600.6713)

ADDED (forgot): Also, patch the language-specific update.exe to accept modified update.inf file, and use language-specific installation files.

But the problem is that I don't know where to start when it comes to this part:

- How do I create a catalog file?

- How do I calculate the checksum?

- How do I update the update.ver file in my language?

- Where is the language-specific update.exe located, and how can I patch it to accept a modified update.inf file?

- How do I get language-specific installation files?

Many questions, I know, but as I'm totally clueless, my last hope is that someone can point me in the right direction. Is there any tutorial in this forum that could give me some hints?

Edited by Mister Floppy