POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Oh my god (for all non-english Windows XP Users on 06/17/2015 released KB3033890), 
i have found in KB3033890 again 1 error on "update.inf" on follow section:

[Product.Add.Reg]
HKLM,%UpdateRegKey%\%US_Product_Name%\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%, "ReleaseType",, %KB_Release_Type%

The String KB_Release_Type under section [strings] not exist,
also the String KB_Release_Type_S = "Aktualizacja zabezpieczeñ" exist!
(The language of the update corresponding entry KB_Release_Type_S = "Security Update")

This is only a cosmetic problem, not a functionell!

:no: Oh Microsoft, what I think:

O Lord, let grass grow, the cattle-critters to proliferate!

Greetings  :lol:

Note: The error actually exists, but this post is more ironic.
Edited by heinoganda

The blue string is in Polish and means security update, if I am not mistaken :)

String KB_Release_Type_S = "Aktualizacja zabezpieczeñ" exist!
(The language of the update corresponding entry "Security Update")

@zach1

This is correct, the text in brackets is a translation of the entry in English, but is dependent on the language version of the update.
These are the red marked places where a string or variable does not exist, but a different, matching the value that differs in the end with _S!

(sorry my english is not so good)

:)

Edited by heinoganda

First, to "Security Update for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3033890) status_failed.gif Wednesday, June 24, 2015 Microsoft Update Windows XP Embedded Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3058515) status_failed.gif Wednesday, June 24, 2015 Microsoft Update

What should I do about that?  Can I download and install manually?  It seems the posts above are for a version of one of them in a different language.  Where would I get these in good ol' American English?

Third, I am no longer getting emails from this wonderful forum when someone posts something new here although my settings still call for notification emails.  Is it because I'm still jetlagged?

Thanks.

Edited by glnz

@glnz

Have the English language updates KB3033890 for Media Player 9/10/11, as KB3058515 for IE 6/7/8  loaded down and have it looked at, no abnormalities during installation could tell. KB3033890 ENU is completely error-free, does not even have a lock on Windows XP. (Have the language changed in the updates to install them in a German Windows XP, with the success that the IE is more or less in English, all under VMware) Maybe you try it once manually install the updates and more accurate information about the error message. Remember matches the KB3033890 with the version installed media player on the system.

Edited by heinoganda

heinoganda - thanks.  But where do I go to download manually - these two?

Also, I am NOT getting emails when someone replies here.  But my setting is still to get emails.  Any idea?

Thanks.

@ glnz

On WSUS Catalog can you download with Internet-Explorer:

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB3033890%20Posready%202009

1. WMP 11

2. WMP 10

3. WMP 9

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB3058515%20Posready%202009

Sorry, with the e-mail no idea! (I have no Abo from this Forum)

Edited by heinoganda

heinoganda - The MS pages are very slow.  Finally downloaded

X86-en-ie8-windowsxp-kb3058515-x86-embedded-enu_717559af98d947c349c9165b35e7dc3b7eb124b5.exe

but when I try to run it, my machine tells me it's a corrupt file.

Has now happened twice.

(I have IE 8.)

Any thoughts?

I think the other one worked - says I completed the setup wizard.

(By the way, I am having this problem on my good Dell Optiplex 755 with 4GB RAM.

I also have a slow Dell GX 280 with 2GB RAM with XP SP 3 for testing purposes only.  ALL the June 9 MS updates have installed without problem.  I don't know why my good Dell Optiplex 755 has had the problems with these two KB items.)

Edited by glnz

@glnz

Downloading Update for IE8 should have the following size: 10.1 MB (10,608,368 bytes) Otherwise me the problem of very slow WSUS Catalog known best download the update again. Have you ever looked at whether software update KB3033890 is installed and/or "C:\Windows\system32" should at "wmp.dll" file version "11.0.5721.5293" exist? (Think you have Media Player 11)

file version by WM9 "9.00.00.4513" and by WM10 "10.0.0.4092"

by IE8 file "mshtml.dll" file version "8.0.6001.23687"

(The behavior is strange, hopefully not a hardware failure. Which anti-virus / malware protection programs do you have?)

Edited by heinoganda

I recently bought a SSD and want to do a fresh install of XP Pro on it. It's a Dell, and I have an XP Pro SP3 Dell reinstallation disc to use. But when I went to use Windows Update it said it no longer worked for XP or 2003, much to my chagrin. I tried using the POSReady tweak, creating a .reg file and merging it into my registry as I read to do, but it still didn't work. So did they do something to thwart this tweak now? Or maybe it doesn't work on a fresh install? Maybe there's a new tweak now that does work? I tried looking around this site but the info. was all spread around and it was hard to follow, and much of it was dated, like a year or more old. So I was hoping maybe someone could give me some current info. here in this thread and help me out here.

I know that for awhile using Windows Update manually didn't work, but if you set Automatic Updates up to download them automatically it did work. But that didn't seem to work now either, though I admit I didn't give it much time, I was impatient. Does this work?

Anyhow I'd really like to be able to run XP Pro SP3 (with all patches) on this SSD. I'd be much obliged if someone could give me some pointers on how I can make this happen.

Thanks for your time and attention. Oh, and I'd rather not have to use Microsoft Update. I don't need it. But I will if I have to. And I saw one possible remedy that includes using some software to find updates but it requires .NET Framework to work, which I absolutely loathe with a passion. I find it very bloaty.

Edited by lucid717

heinoganda - for some reason, my earlier download of KB3058515 worked just now, I ran it, and Belarc shows it as installed.  Who knows?  Thanks.

@glnz

In any case, the behavior of your PC is not OK, the hard drive, memory, power supply and the motherboard (any defective leaked and bloated capacitors) should even be reviewed. Maybe there are too many operating systems within a partition where not quite like. Remote diagnosis is difficult and one can only guess.

Many greetings from Germany  :)

Edited by heinoganda

Okay I figured it out. Some Local Policy tweak I made was thwarting me. After that I set Automatic Updates to download updates automatically but let me choose when to install them. Within minutes of doing this it began downloading updates. First just 1, the one that is basically just the update to make WU work. Then a second time it downloaded a bunch, over 100 updates. I installed them then rebooted. But then after the reboot it wasn't working that way anymore. So I disabled Automatic updates and checked manually (using Windows Updates, not Microsoft Updates), and it worked.

After installing all the WU's I wanted and rebooting I then applied the POSReady registry tweak and rebooted. Then I manually ran WU again, and viola... I see like 33 updates for POS Ready & WEPOS. But now my dilemma is which ones do I install? I thought I recalled reading a post in here where someone said not to install POS Ready & WEPOS updates, but only Server 2003 updates. Well... I didn't see a single Server 2003 update listed. They were all POS Ready + WEPOS updates. So if I read that post correctly that renders this tweak moot. Or do I have it backwards?... to install the POS Ready & WEPOS updates but not the Server 2003 ones? To make a long story short (too late)... which of those 33 or so listed updates should I install? There were like 3 optional ones too. Should I install all of them? Are there any I should avoid? Much appreciated.

Which XP do you have? If XP SP3 (hence x86 or 32-bit) you should install the POSReady 2009 updates. Now, if it's XP SP2 x64 (64-bit), then you must use the 2003 SP2 x64 updates (and POSReady 2009 updates may hose your system).