POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

On 12/3/2017 at 1:57 PM, dencorso said:

The source of the problem are @glnz's supermegaüberparanoid security settings, of course!  :P 

On 12/3/2017 at 2:42 PM, Mcinwwl said:

Case is, that I also have supermegaüberparanoid security settings. And it works. He must have supermegaüberultraparanoid settings.

3 hours ago, glnz said:

Got a second BSOD this month on my XP - while nothing was happening.  (Maybe my machine is just getting bored?)
[...]
Thoughts?

Yes. Supermegaüberultraparanoid are metastable (when they work) and may be too much of a good thing, perhaps? :dubbio:

Hint: MSE 4.4.304.0 :w00t:

4 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

For me the only test able to really verify the vulnerability of the CPU is the Poc of Erik August:

https://gist.github.com/ErikAugust/724d4a969fb2c6ae1bbd7b2a9e3d4bb6

In the comments we note that some CPUs not vulnerables in the Intel List are instead exposed:
P.S. Core 2 Duo has FSB !! :rolleyes:

I would not play with these little programs of dubious origin and programmed by strangers. For me, the only valid thing is what the manufacturer says, Intel, and not with much credibility either. According to the referenced comment, it seems that there are disconcerting results not expected by the programmer.

Den and Mcinwwl - You two are just jealous!

EDIT - MSE is no longer being updated?  MS has advised, "Definition updates (antimvirus/antispryware ) for Microsoft Security Essentials (v.4.4.304.0) on Windows XP will no longer be provided automatically as of July 14, 2015." 

See ☺ LINK ☻

Unless, of course, you are getting updates from an alternate universe,  In which case, please SHARE.

Edited by glnz

1 hour ago, glnz said:

Den and Mcinwwl - You two are just jealous!

EDIT - MSE is no longer being updated?  MS has advised, "Definition updates (antimvirus/antispryware ) for Microsoft Security Essentials (v.4.4.304.0) on Windows XP will no longer be provided automatically as of July 14, 2015." 

See ☺ LINK ☻

Unless, of course, you are getting updates from an alternate universe,  In which case, please SHARE.

Glnz, if you're looking for something that's free and seems to be working well without conflicts you may want to give BitDefender a whirl.  It's been pretty reliable for the past 3 or 4  months that I've been using it, 

1 hour ago, glnz said:

You do underestimate MSFN's members diehardness, don't you? :no:
Search, and you'll find: <Link1> <Link2> :cool:

6 hours ago, glnz said:

Got a second BSOD this month on my XP - while nothing was happening.  (Maybe my machine is just getting bored?)

Here's a link to a zip with all the info:  <LINK>

The immediate culprit seems to be an Avast AV Free driver aswStmXP.sys, which is version 17.9.3754.0, last modified December 21, 2017, 1:06:34 PM.

However, with all the recent updates and reg key change instigated by the AV companies for Meltdown and Spectre (what about Smersh and Thrush?) , I wonder whether there isn't a conflict with our recent POS updates.

Thoughts?

Please do not be angry with me, but in your security delusion, you seem to have not internalized some issues with KB4056615 in this topic yet. Why not simply uninstall KB4056615 and then see if this issue still crops up. KB4056615 did not seem to be tested well enough at Microsoft and still contains bugs! A broken kernel can also trigger this error.

:yes:

Delusions?  Just because I think my XP machine is a toaster oven?

OK - maybe some absent-mindedness.

Well, if I get another BSOD, I'll try the uninstall.  But why stop there?  Why not go back to SP2?

12 hours ago, glnz said:

But why stop there?  Why not go back to SP2?

And why not all the way to CP/M? :w00t:
Because you lose functionality. Things you need won't run, etc.
Then again, nobody ever had a BSOD on a typewriter... :yes:

I know many people are complaining about the recent updates, but luckily nothing happened to my machine. I think it really depends on our hardware. With my 1TB Seagate HSSD, my Intel i7 6700HQ 4c/8th 2.60GHz and 16 GB DDR4 (8x2), I didn't have any issues. My system is running just fine. I think that these updates might have screwed up a few things in systems with older hardware. Perhaps Microsoft engineers tested these updates on virtual machine with recent hardware? Who knows. By the way, NHS just signed an agreement with Microsoft to get Microsoft's Enterprise Threat Detection Service which provides an antivirus service as well as updates for their systems, including Windows XP and Server 2003 until this summer, so it's very likely that their 30'000 XP machines will get the same updates we get, which is a good thing. 

(This actually reminds me that it's been two years since the last time I had a blood test. I think it's time to ask NHS for a new one).

Edited by FranceBB

7 hours ago, glnz said:

Well, if I get another BSOD, I'll try the uninstall.  But why stop there?  Why not go back to SP2?

This is absolute nonsense, why do not you try it to narrow down the real issue for your BSOD? Currently I have no problems with Avast version 17.9.3761.0 after the current μUpdates 328/329. KB4056615 is not installed on my system as this update was really knit with hot needles at a time when everything revolves around Meltdown and Specter.

:)

Hello,

Since I'm using xp /pos updates with fat32 (working so well), I think I'm not concerned with th KB4056615 update (NTFS stuff). About Spectre and Meltdown now : I have an intel core 2 duo cpu T5300, another laptop with core 2 duo T7200, another with celeron M520. Many said ALL intel cpus for 20 years except Atom (and some few others) are affected.  Others said that core 2 duo are not affected. Intel offered microcode patch for linux, and in the list, there is core 2 duo. So... I'm confused. Core 2 duo : Affected or not? I'm wondering if a program like processguard could block the issues (it includes memory protect - so speculative execution could not be tracked in the ram?). 

Thank you so much.

2 hours ago, muzungu said:

About Spectre and Meltdown now : I have an intel core 2 duo cpu T5300, another laptop with core 2 duo T7200, another with celeron M520. Many said ALL intel cpus for 20 years except Atom (and some few others) are affected.  Others said that core 2 duo are not affected. Intel offered microcode patch for linux, and in the list, there is core 2 duo. So... I'm confused. Core 2 duo : Affected or not?

This list of linux is of processors with microcode updated. Not is of processors affected for Spectre or Meltdown.

Easy: have FSB = not affected. Without FSB = affected

https://ark.intel.com/es-es/products/29758/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T5300-2M-Cache-1_73-GHz-533-MHz-FSB

https://ark.intel.com/es-es/products/27255/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T7200-4M-Cache-2_00-GHz-667-MHz-FSB

https://ark.intel.com/es-es/products/27977/Intel-Celeron-M-Processor-520-1M-Cache-1_60-GHz-533-MHz-FSB

Edited by wyxchari

1 hour ago, muzungu said:

Since I'm using xp /pos updates with fat32 (working so well), I think I'm not concerned with th KB4056615 update (NTFS stuff)

In theory, yes - although you could potentially end up missing fixes for permissions not related to the file system (the registry, services, whatever else - can't say I'm an expert).

1 hour ago, muzungu said:

Many said ALL intel cpus for 20 years except Atom (and some few others) are affected.  Others said that core 2 duo are not affected. Intel offered microcode patch for linux, and in the list, there is core 2 duo. So... I'm confused. Core 2 duo : Affected or not?

@Destro will tell you in no uncertain terms that you're not affected if you have an FSB processor (those ex-KGB guys know how to protect their stuff; :) j/k, it means "front-side bus") - and indeed, Intel hasn't confirmed these CPUs are affected; then again, some proof-of-concept tests floating around appear to work on C2D (assuming the tests are implemented correctly). So, confusion continues... :whistle: That microcode list, though, doesn't mean C2D is getting any updates at this point - it's cumulative and includes historical updates as well.

On 1/24/2018 at 1:34 PM, glnz said:

MSE is no longer being updated?  MS has advised, "Definition updates (antimvirus/antispryware ) for Microsoft Security Essentials (v.4.4.304.0) on Windows XP will no longer be provided automatically as of July 14, 2015."

Well, it appears that my MSE never got the memo, because it updated last week when I had it open. And it did it automatically, which surprised me. I thought I would need to click on the "Update" button. Seriously, though, I think the key phrase above is "on Windows XP". If you are using POSReady 2009 (or the POSReady "hack"), then technically you're not using Windows XP.