POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

16 hours ago, heinoganda said:

For external media (stick, flashcard and old good mechanical hard drive) I use exFat. Anyone who has already dealt with this file system should, like me with an external HDD, see this file system as an advantage. With various defragmentation tools I noticed that the data was never fragmented.

:)

I have the information that NTFS is the safer file system, especially if you have heavy file I/O and big files (system backup image for example).

Else You are right :)

On the subject of Meltdown and Specter, according to this test, an Intel P4 is affected. Unfortunately, it is the problem that Intel still AMD published a more detailed list of affected CPU's. A patch for Windows can unfortunately mitigate this problem, even if the BIOS / UEFI the microcode was patched, the real problem remains. Only a new CPU helps where the architecture no longer allows these forms of attacks.

:crazy:

Inspectre new version 0.0.6591.2:

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

Windows Defender “SmartScreen” appears to have decided that InSpectre is malware. This also happened briefly after the release of our Never10 utility. In this case, it is likely due to the fact that InSpectre's initial release was triggering anti-virus scanners due to the program's use of a registry key used to enable and disable the Meltdown and Spectre protections. This second release obscures its use of that (apparently worrisome) key and now appears to pass through most A/V without trouble. So this SmartScreen false alarm will hopefully disappear soon.

Something very strange has happened to the Search Companion on both my XP machines.

If I select Start>Search>For Files or Folders the XP Search Companion comes up as usual, but only once.

If I close it and select it again it's reverted to the old-style Windows 2000 looking Search Companion.

Once that's happened I can only get the XP one back again by logging off and on again, but again it then only works once.

As I said, this is happening on both my XP installations, one of which has only KB4056615 and KB4056941 installed, and the other of which has the Office and .NET updates as well.

I do have Windows Search 4.0 installed on both machines. I've checked all the relevant registry settings and they are all fine.

I of course had a nasty feeling this was a consequence of installing KB4056615!

I uninstalled the updates, but the problem didn't go away.

Is this happening for anyone else?

:dubbio:

21 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Something very strange has happened to the Search Companion on both my XP machines.

If I select Start>Search>For Files or Folders the XP Search Companion comes up as usual, but only once.

If I close it and select it again it's reverted to the old-style Windows 2000 looking Search Companion.

Once that's happened I can only get the XP one back again by logging off and on again, but again it then only works once.

As I said, this is happening on both my XP installations, one of which has only KB4056615 and KB4056941 installed, and the other of which has the Office and .NET updates as well.

I do have Windows Search 4.0 installed on both machines. I've checked all the relevant registry settings and they are all fine.

I of course had a nasty feeling this was a consequence of installing KB4056615!

I uninstalled the updates, but the problem didn't go away.

Is this happening for anyone else?

I don't know if this will help you much, Dave, but I'll let you know my setup.  I've had the Search service disabled long ago in an effort to both speed up and secure my pc a little more.  However, I do use the Search Dog.  Is that the Companion?  I forget it's name, but I think that's what you're asking.  Anyway, in that configuration, that works for me.  I used the lil doggy to help find the ntfs.sys files to swap out after the KB4056615 update.

Yes, that's exactly the Search Companion, although I don't use the dog (Rover IIRC!)
I've now determined that this problem does not seem to happen in Safe Mode. The XP Companion is always there.
Whether this means that it's nothing to do with the new kernel system files I don't know.
Is anyone else, with Windows (Desktop) Search 4.0 installed and activated. seeing this?

For some reasons long time ago (I dont remember) I uninstalled Windows Search 4 and disabled this update.

My puppy search very well and find all what I search for. :)

No problems with my two XP machines at this time...