POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

27 minutes ago, glnz said:

SD73 - dumb tourist question - how can I tell whether a USB stick is formatted NTFS?     And not stripes, houndstooth or (heaven forbid) plaid?

You could get in Disk Manager and check or just right click on the drive in Explorer and Format from your WIndows 8 or newer PC and choose NTFS.  I'm not sure if you get the NTFS option on USB sticks in XP, but you could check that first if that's what you have.   Anyway, then you can do your copy checks.

SD73 - Thanks.  You gave me an idea: I plugged two in and just going to Properties showed that they were formatted FAT32.  (Won't reformat them because they have some files I want.)

I have other USB sticks and will try this later.

However, earlier today, on the XP machine, using My Network, I copied a file from a nearby Win 7 64-bit machine and pasted it into the XP machine, successfully.  But that's not the same, is it?

1 minute ago, glnz said:

SD73 - Thanks.  You gave me an idea: I plugged two in and just going to Properties showed that they were formatted FAT32.  (Won't reformat them because they have some files I want.)

I have other USB sticks and will try this later.

However, earlier today, on the XP machine, using My Network, I copied a file from a nearby Win 7 64-bit machine and pasted it into the XP machine, successfully.  But that's not the same, is it?

The main test to try IMO is copying a file too the USB stick.  That's when I got the error.  However, I did not try any copies from network shares.  I'm not sure of what results I'd have gotten.  I suppose you could try going the other way and copying files to the NTFS volume on your Win 7 machine.

SD73 and Den - I just successfully copied a pdf from a folder on the XP to a folder on the Win 7 64-bit.  I did that using My Network Places on the XP, and the copying and pasting were done at the XP keyboard.

The hard drives of the XP and the Win 7 Pro 64-bit are both NTFS.

Do you think this means that I don't have an issue with the KB?

Am I free at last?  Will this month of January FINALLY COME TO AN END??

Edited by glnz

4 minutes ago, glnz said:

SD73 and Den - I just successfully copied a pdf from a folder on the XP to a folder on the Win 7 64-bit.  I did that using My Network Places on the XP, and the copying and pasting was done at the XP keyboard.

The hard drives of the XP and the Win 7 Pro 64-bit are NTFS.

Do you think this means that I don't have an issue with the KB?

Am I free at last?  Will this month of January NEVER END??

It sounds like your test is what dencorso's PC failed so you may be in luck.  But if you do get a USB handy, I'd be interested to hear how that goes too.

SD73 - I just remembered I have a WD "MyBook" external hard drive plugged into a USB port on the rear of my XP Machine.  It is also formatted NTSF.  I just successfully copied the same pdf from the XP C:\ drive onto a folder in that WD "MyBook" external hard drive, and it opened in Adobe Reader from that folder.

Is this any different from a USB stick?  Isn't the WD "MyBook" external hard drive just a very fat and overweight and ugly-looking USB stick?  (There's so much dust on that thing it's amazing it still works.  Probably hates me.   Best to leave it alone.)

3 hours ago, SD73 said:

Dave and Glnz, try testing with a USB stick with an NTFS format.

The only options I'm being offered to format my USB stick are FAT32 or exFAT.
I don't see any reason to format it to NTFS, which I assume I could perhaps do with Windows 10?
The only reason to do that as far as I can see would be if I needed to put a file on it that was bigger than 4GB, and I can't see that ever happening!
:)

6 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I don't see any reason to format it to NTFS, which I assume I could perhaps do with Windows 10?
The only reason to do that as far as I can see would be if I needed to put a file on it that was bigger than 4GB, and I can't see that ever happening!

Those were my only format option too from XP.  I formatted on my Win 10 machine for testing.  My concern was getting permissions errors in general when I had not gotten any with the older NTFS.SYS.

OK, I've tried formatting the USB stick as NTFS, and I'm now also getting the error message if I try to copy a file to it.
Frankly I don't think I'm going to lose any sleep over this as long as that's the only problem caused by the NTFS.SYS update.
I can't see that I would ever need the stick formatted to anything other than FAT32, which seems to work fine.

21 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

OK, I've tried formatting the USB stick as NTFS, and I'm now also getting the error message if I try to copy a file to it.
Frankly I don't think I'm going to lose any sleep over this as long as that's the only problem caused by the NTFS.SYS update.
I can't see that I would ever need the stick formatted to anything other than FAT32, which seems to work fine.

That's the only problem I've seen.  Is that the only problem?  That I don't know.  I'd bet you're right, but I'm going to error on the side of caution for now...even though I'm mixing KB's to do it.  :)

Hmmm...

I use most NTFS formatted sticks because of big files.

But I always format the sticks with gparted (have no XP tool).

And I have no trouble with this sticks (heavy in use) on two XP SP3 PosReady machines with full patched new ntfs.sys (yes, I have controlled the version, it is actual).

16 hours ago, FranceBB said:

I have an AVX and AVX2 capable CPU, although XP only supports SSE4.2, that's why I compiled everything in SSE4.2. Anyway, I accidentally tried to run an AVX-compiled program once and it didn't run: it got stuck at launch-time, executing only partially the code (the asm part of it), thus complaining about non monotonic function once it passed the result to the encoder. In other word, AVX, AVX2, AVX512, FMA don't work in XP, AFAIK.

Yes surely don't work in user mode 

2 hours ago, Thomas S. said:

I use most NTFS formatted sticks because of big files.

For external media (stick, flashcard and old good mechanical hard drive) I use exFat. Anyone who has already dealt with this file system should, like me with an external HDD, see this file system as an advantage. With various defragmentation tools I noticed that the data was never fragmented.

19 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Format FAT32. After "convert u: /FS:NTFS"

Edited by wyxchari