POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

8 hours ago, heinoganda said:

@Dave-H @SD73

No problems, you had to force KB4056615 on your system with the parameter /overwriteoem. Have you ever had this problem? I can only recommend uninstalling KB4056615 and waiting for an update for KB4056615!

Note:
I do not want to make a random generator out of my computer!

:)

But if I have successfully installed KB4056615 on both of my machines, and neither of them is now showing any ill-effects, why uninstall it?
Surely if it's (apparently at least) doing no harm, it's still better to have it than not to have it?
:dubbio:

Even having reversed ntfs.sys, myself, that's my take on it and the reason I kept the newst kernel files.
If, and when, MS releases a newer version, then I'll update them again. But until I observe any issue with the kernel files, I'm keeping them.

51 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Even having reversed ntfs.sys, myself, that's my take on it and the reason I kept the newst kernel files.
If, and when, MS releases a newer version, then I'll update them again. But until I observe any issue with the kernel files, I'm keeping them.

I've done a little more checking.  Something is up with my NTFS as well.  Dave you may want to double check some usb sticks.  I tried copying files to the drive and got some "Security ID" errors and could not complete.  Is there a backup of my NTFS driver already on my PC I could use?  I have a Linux partition on it I could do the copy from.

It looks like I have an NTFS in my cache folder as 5.1.2600.5512.  Is that desirable or is there a newer version I should use?  Atari88XL says he's got 5.1.2600.5782.

Edited by SD73

On 1/11/2018 at 3:47 AM, mixit said:

Time to stop worrying and love the bomb...? From Microsoft's official guidance Protect your Windows devices against Spectre and Meltdown  (expand "My operating system (OS) is not listed. When can I expect a fix to be released?") (emphases in the quote added by me):

We will not be issuing updates for Windows Vista or Windows XP-based systems including WES 2009 and POSReady 2009.

Although Windows Vista and Windows XP-based systems are affected products, Microsoft is not issuing an update for them because the comprehensive architectural changes required would jeopardize system stability and cause application compatibility problems. We recommend that security-conscious customers upgrade to a newer supported operating system to keep pace with the changing security threat landscape and benefit from the more robust protections that newer operating systems provide.

We have heard this song from Microsoft before:

If Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), and Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (ME) are listed as an affected product, why is Microsoft not issuing security updates for them?
During the development of Windows 2000, significant enhancements were made to the underlying architecture of Windows Explorer. The Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), and Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (ME) Windows Explorer architecture is much less robust than the more recent Windows architectures. Due to these fundamental differences, after extensive investigation, Microsoft has found that it is not feasible to make the extensive changes necessary to Windows Explorer on Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), and Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (ME) to eliminate the vulnerability. To do so would require reengineer a significant amount of a critical core component of the operating system. After such a reengineering effort, there would be no assurance that applications designed to run on these platforms would continue to operate on the updated system.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/security-updates/securitybulletins/2006/ms06-015

41 minutes ago, SD73 said:

Is there a backup of my NTFS driver already on my PC I could use?

Yes. it's in the $NtUninstallKB4056615$ folder (which may be hidden). After you revert the 5.1.2600.7392 version to the 5.1.2600.5512 version by hand, then you can apply, if you want, KB969262 (here, too, the KB article is gone but the actual HotFix remains available by request from MS) to get to 5.1.2600.5782. But this last step is optional.
N.B.: MDGx's MS Support HotFix Request Form remais the easiest and most strightforward way to request HotFixes.

12 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Yes. it's in the $NtUninstallKB4056615$ folder (which may be hidden). After you revert the 5.1.2600.7392 version to the 5.1.2600.5512 version by hand, then you can apply, if you want, KB969262 (here, too, the KB article is gone but the actual HotFix remains available by request from MS) to get to 5.1.2600.5782. But this last step is optional.

Thanks!  I did get it working prior to see your suggestion with the ntfs.sys from the \cache folder.  After I saw your post I tried your link, but it looks like good ole webarchive may have lost the actual file.  Never goes beyond "Accepting" the terms for the download.  I figured it would be good to have as a backup until/when a good update becomes available.  That said, my older version seems to have stopped those Security problems when copying.

I've tested with a FAT32 formatted 16GB USB stick on my main machine, copying and pasting files to and from it and deleting files from it, and no apparent problems. This is the machine where the OS is running on a FAT32 drive however.
I will try with my other machine where the OS is running on an NTFS drive later.
:)

8 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Nah. It's just way slower than usual... nothing to worry about, though. OTOH, here you go:

KB969262.pdf

Thanks!  I actually found the 5.1.2600.5782 driver.  The link below is what I used if anyone else is looking for it.  My virus scanners found it clean and multiple websites I checked said they are reliable.  It installed as you would expect a KB to install.

http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=10273

SD73 - dumb tourist question - how can I tell whether a USB stick is formatted NTFS?     And not stripes, houndstooth or (heaven forbid) plaid?

Edited by glnz

4 hours ago, Dibya said:

VTx works in XP but Same way as AVX work in XP ......(not properly but technically more properly)

I have an AVX and AVX2 capable CPU, although XP only supports SSE4.2, that's why I compiled everything in SSE4.2. Anyway, I accidentally tried to run an AVX-compiled program once and it didn't run: it got stuck at launch-time, executing only partially the code (the asm part of it), thus complaining about non monotonic function once it passed the result to the encoder. In other word, AVX, AVX2, AVX512, FMA don't work in XP, AFAIK.

21 minutes ago, SD73 said:

Thanks!  I actually found the 5.1.2600.5782 driver.  The link below is what I used if anyone else is looking for it.  My virus scanners found it clean and multiple websites I checked said they are reliable.  It installed as you would expect a KB to install.

http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=10273

Another dumb question. Why don't You just download this update from the Microsoft website? Or are You looking for an adventure with unofficial sources, virus checking and so on?

http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows XP/sp4/Fix264130/2600/free/376016_ENU_i386_zip.exe

9 minutes ago, Bersaglio said:

Another dumb question. Why don't You just download this update from the Microsoft website? Or are You looking for an adventure with unofficial sources, virus checking and so on?

http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows XP/sp4/Fix264130/2600/free/376016_ENU_i386_zip.exe

LOL, that's an intelligent question.  And the answer is I would have had I have been able to find it.