POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

6 minutes ago, glnz said:

Is this any way to run an airline?

No it's not. But since you do know the dance already, just go with it: latest IE8 cumulative update and Office Compatibility Pack updates go by hand, then MU gets happy and serves you the rest. No reason for amazement, at this point, just dance the known dance and be happy. :angel

24 minutes ago, glnz said:

Dave-H - thanks for good double-check list!  Yes, Belarc Advisor now shows that I have all.

It still amazes me that, each month, we need to install both the IE8 update and (in my case with Office 2003) the Office Compatibility updates to make WU-MU calm down and stop annoying the CPU.  What's the danged connection anyway?  And if WU-MU/yellow shield get so hot and bothered when they're missing, then why don't WU-MU/yellow shield just SAY SO and pull the updates out of MS so we don't have to go looking for them all over town?

Is this any way to run an airline?

I don't think anyone really knows why there is such a problem with some updates on WEPOS machines now using the online update system.
It certainly did work fine for ages on modified XP machines. I think the problem suddenly started happening a year or two ago, for no apparent reason.
There was a theory that it was solely because of the Office updates, which are not actually supported on POSReady machines, but the IE8 updates are causing the same problem and they surely are supported, so that can't be the whole answer!
I do wonder if this is happening with "real" POSReady installations. I would imagine that many machines with embedded Windows run 24/7 unattended, and are set to update automatically if internet connected. I can just imagine them running for days on end looking for updates!
It has to be a bug somewhere in the update system, but whether MS now have any interest in fixing it seems unlikely as far as we're concerned with our hacked machines!
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

Definitely an embedded system may not be used on a workstation PC and also no office may be installed! It was the end of 2013, where this abnormality was already present and adjusted a month later, I think rather that it was a test of MS! Basically it works, maybe not quite as MS imagined. In the end it does not matter, there is a workaround we can live with.

I am sure that only a few of WES 2009 and POSReady 2009 installations have any version of MS Office installed. But IE is a standard system component that even can't be easily removed. I am wonder, why big quantity WES/POSReady system owners don't complain about a bug that regularly ate one CPU core for hours? It should be noticeable at least in power consumption if not in responsiveness of the system.

32 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I can just imagine them running for days on end looking for updates!

POS systems must use WU, which ignores the Office Compatibility Pack updates, but not so the IE8 cumulative updates...

2 minutes ago, Yellow Horror said:

why big quantity WES/POSReady system owners don't complain about a bug that regularly ate one CPU core for hours?

Because POS operators are oblivious to it. And IT personnel only looks for CPU usage, etc., if and when asked to intervene... :angel

44 minutes ago, heinoganda said:

Definitely an embedded system may not be used on a workstation PC and also no office may be installed! It was the end of 2013, where this abnormality was already present and adjusted a month later, I think rather that it was a test of MS! Basically it works, maybe not quite as MS imagined. In the end it does not matter, there is a workaround we can live with.

So are you saying that MS tested what the effect of this Windows/Microsoft Update "adjustment" would be on XP machines pretending to be POSReady/WEPOS machines, six months before XP came out of support?!
That would imply that they knew people would be able to carry on getting updates with a simple registry tweak, and took steps to make it as awkward as possible for them!
Surely MS couldn't have been that devious.....could they?!
:dubbio::lol:

45 minutes ago, heinoganda said:

In various forums, I unfortunately had to read that actually users do not install POSReady updates on their Windows XP, because it does not seem to work anymore. Thus, MS has staged the ideal scenario for itself.

►► Hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Don't forget to ... COUNT YOUR CHANGE !!

That may be laughable at first, but I do not want to know how many employees have laughed at MS, where the code for svchost was tested (end of 2013), where the users have complained that because of AU/WU/MU the process of svchost.dll runs at 100% utilization. In January 2014 it was said that the problem was fixed with an update. Either I have not realized it, but this update is me guilty of MS until today. :lol:

On 1/9/2018 at 11:12 AM, Bersaglio said:

So after my PC successfully found on its own the 3 .Net Updates, and the 2 processor related updates this month (I had to force through the #615kb) I decided to let the machine run some more.  After about 3 days it found the above mentioned KB's on it's own from the MU.  I wonder why it missed them the first time around?

15 minutes ago, SD73 said:

So after my PC successfully found on its own the 3 .Net Updates, and the 2 processor related updates this month (I had to force through the #615kb) I decided to let the machine run some more.  After about 3 days it found the above mentioned KB's on it's own from the MU.  I wonder why it missed them the first time around?

Office updates are not showing up on some of my machines, as well.  Time to bang on the side of the chassis, like in the old days.

Just as a matter of interest, as there was apparently no update for IE8 this month, did the machines that didn't offer the three Office updates find their updates very quickly, or did they still scan for hours, which appears to be normal now if any IE8 or Office updates are outstanding?
:dubbio:

I experienced the usual slow scans when test running MU.  I have only tried to update a few machines so far (because of the odd nature/timing of this month's updates), and have not tried to preempt the long scan times by manually applying any updates this month, instead just waiting for the yellow shield to show up. 

I'm holding back a little and reassessing whether the risk posed going forward is greater from Microsoft's patches or from the vulnerabilities being patched.  The update process looks more rickety every month.