POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

42 minutes ago, glnz said:

Second, - about the Meltdown+Spectre patches KB4056615 and KB4056941:  do I even need them?  My XP machine has Intel Core 2 Duo E6850  @ 3.00GHz - Conroe 65nm Technology.  That is NOT on the list provided two above by Wyxchari: https://www.techarp.com/guides/complete-list-cpus-meltdown-spectre/ .  Also, I protect my XP machine with black duct tape and (in the back) an extra layer of dust.  So, should I just hide these two updates? 

• But my CPU apparently does NOT have FSB.  FSB is not mentioned anywhere in Speccy or CPU-Z, and SIW says "FSB - Not available".  Wyxchari - what do you think?

https://ark.intel.com/es-es/products/30785/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E6850-4M-Cache-3_00-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

KB4056615 and KB4056941: my old computers are not affected by Meltdown+Spectre but since WU offered me these updates, I ate them.

Edited by wyxchari

I have installed all available January patches, 2 security and 3 .NET updates, all went fine and is updated to proper version numbers.

CPU is Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 (Merom) 2.00GHz, so for now I believe in Intel :unsure: that this one is not affected with that potential Meltdown+Spectre attack.

But where is January Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for WES09 and POSReady 2009, did I miss it somehow?

Also, thanks Dencorso for digging out that old hal.dll KB951126 update. :)

Edited by niko32

18 minutes ago, niko32 said:

But where is January Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for WES09 and POSReady 2009, did I miss it somehow?

This month has not come out. I do not know the cause.

It has FSB and it is not affected: https://ark.intel.com/es-es/products/35581/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T5800-2M-Cache-2_00-GHz-800-MHz-FSB

1 hour ago, niko32 said:

I have installed all available January patches, 2 security and 3 .NET updates, all went fine and is updated to proper version numbers.

CPU is Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 (Merom) 2.00GHz, so for now I believe in Intel :unsure: that this one is not affected with that potential Meltdown+Spectre attack.

Also, thanks Dencorso for digging out that old hal.dll KB951126 update. :)

Niko32, have you double checked your kernel files?  My PC that also has an FSB processor appeared to install fine, but I later learned that my kernel files weren't overwritten.  Check your Windws\System32 directory for NTKRNLPA.EXE & NTOSKRNL.EXE with 12/5/17 install dates.  In my case I used the installation switch mentioned earlier in this thread to force the install and it worked well for me.  You may want to exercise caution though before you go forward with that as some have had issues with the newer kernel. 

Niko and SD73 - When I test-installed KB4056615 and KB4056941 in XP Mode on my Win 7 machine, I got the following results for the two files mentioned by SD73 directly above - matching Dave-H's experience:

NTKRNLPA.EXE version 5.1.2600.7392 (matches Dave H's "5.1.2600.7259 to 5.1.2600.7392")
NTOSKRNL.EXE version 5.1.2600.7392  (matches Dave H's "5.1.2600.7259 to 5.1.2600.7392")

I assume that 5.1.2600.7392 is the correct, newly updated version number, but please say if you think not.

(My full post on this a few days ago is http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171814-posready-2009-updates-ported-to-windows-xp-sp3-enu/?do=findComment&comment=1149192 )

1 hour ago, glnz said:

I assume that 5.1.2600.7392 is the correct, newly updated version number, but please say if you think not.

Yes! I confirm v. 5.1.2600.7392 is the correct, latest version available of those files. :yes:

Update - In my REAL XP machine (with duct tape and dust):

1. This morning, I installed successfully:
        Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB4052978) - after first UNinstalling it
        2018-01 Security Only Update for .NET Framework 2.0 on WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB4054178)
        2018-01 Security Only Update for .NET Framework 3.0 on WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB4055229)
        2018-01 Security Only Update for .NET Framework 4 on WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB4054173)
  2.  I have now ALSO installed KB4056941 (but not KB4056615) and rebooted.  However:
        NTKRNLPA.EXE and NTOSKRNL.EXE are still the prior version 5.1.2600.7259. 
        Was KB4056941 (by itself) supposed to update them?
  3. I want to try KB4056615 next, and I said Yes to downloading it in the yellow shield, but nothing is happening, man.  The yellow shield download progress has been stuck at 0% for hours. 
    I am also running MU in both Firefox (IE tab) and IE itself to see if it will show up there, but the green progress bar "Checking for the latest updates for your computer ..." has been going for hours without showing any results.  It's the worst it's been in a long time.
    (FYI - yes, I have the magic regedit key.)
  4. Meanwhile, a svchost.exe continues to run 50% of my CPU non-stop.  This started a few days ago at about the same time the yellow shield first popped up with KB4056615 and KB4056941.

Suggestions (besides "Knock it off for the day and go out for a beer," which would be an excellent suggestion) ?  Thanks.

Edited by glnz

21 minutes ago, glnz said:

Meanwhile, a svchost.exe continues to run 50% of my CPU non-stop.

Seems as if your system miss one or more of "troublesome updates". I suggest you to switch WU/MU to "off" via the Control Panel, reboot, then use MBSA to check for missed updates. KB4056615 and KB4056941 aren't "troublesome".

SD73 and glnz, I didn't have to force install with that switch and both files are new 5.1.2600.7392 versions.

I guess it's all about hardware and software diversity, some components get along with it better than the others. So far I haven't had any problems. :cool: glnz, with the help of knowledgeable people here, I hope You'll solve yours. :)

Edited by niko32

24 minutes ago, Yellow Horror said:

Seems as if your system miss one or more of "troublesome updates". I suggest you to switch WU/MU to "off" via the Control Panel, reboot, then use MBSA to check for missed updates. KB4056615 and KB4056941 aren't "troublesome".

I've followed this advice too as it seems to be the best answer for a frustrating issue.  I do wonder however if we could get one of the Update utilities out there adapted to our systems?  For instance, Win 10 has wumt_x64 and I've seen Get WSUS Content .NET 2.8.0.1  a 32 bit utility that does not appear to have an option for XP Embedded.  Here's the link to the 32 Bit Utility.  http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/get_wsus_content_net.html  

34 minutes ago, niko32 said:

SD73 and glnz, I didn't have to force install with that switch and both files are new 5.1.2600.7392 versions.

I guess it's all about hardware and software diversity, some components get along with it better than the others. So far I haven't had any problems. :cool: glnz, with the help of knowledgeable people here, I hope You'll solve yours. :)

Yes, one of my machines needed the switch to get a full install, the other one didn't.
Strangely it was the relatively basic single processor machine that needed the switch, not the more complex dual processor one!
:)

23 hours ago, Destro said:

Problem with Specucheck and the like, is they only tell you if you are patched, but that has nothing to do if your CPU is architecturally vulnerable or not.  Theres been a lot of hysteria more hysteria than facts.  Hopefully in the furture we can obtain real live samples of exploit code, but to date there actually is none?  So no code yet mass hysteria over vulnerabilities. 

Well said! As this might be very bad for cloud services providers and critical infrastructure, targeted by APT attacks, normal user won't likely see this used against him. Vulnerability is too sophisticated, and too many hardware/system combinations to care about, especially when it's enough to make fake Facebook lookalike site to gain what's needed.. Spam campaign, ransomware - this are easier are far more profitable. So if anyone has a skill to exploit the flaw, I guess he'd rather be attacking big organizations to massively obtain credentials, rather than targeting Your Mom.

Personally, my old machine has AMD processor, so meltdown is off and spectre is far less dangerous and is said to be affecting AMD under very specific circumstances. I don't even bother checking if my CPU is on any list.

And hey! Spectre affects some ARM devices! So i hope y'all will get updates for your home routers, smart TV's and other IoT devices, yes? No. Probably not even your one-year old Android phone.

1 hour ago, Mcinwwl said:

Well said! As this might be very bad for cloud services providers and critical infrastructure, targeted by APT attacks, normal user won't likely see this used against him. Vulnerability is too sophisticated, and too many hardware/system combinations to care about, especially when it's enough to make fake Facebook lookalike site to gain what's needed.. Spam campaign, ransomware - this are easier are far more profitable. So if anyone has a skill to exploit the flaw, I guess he'd rather be attacking big organizations to massively obtain credentials, rather than targeting Your Mom.

Personally, my old machine has AMD processor, so meltdown is off and spectre is far less dangerous and is said to be affecting AMD under very specific circumstances. I don't even bother checking if my CPU is on any list.

And hey! Spectre affects some ARM devices! So i hope y'all will get updates for your home routers, smart TV's and other IoT devices, yes? No. Probably not even your one-year old Android phone.

here the list, 2371 CPUs affected.

List cpu affected.txt